Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814931 times)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2745 on: March 23, 2010, 06:49:45 am »

Not a bad missile.
Actually, it's a terrible missile. I'm not sure what tech level you're working with, so I can't say what exactly you should do, but there are some pretty serious flaws I can see anyway. Most glaringly, there's no good reason to make a size 13.5 missile. Missile size rounds up for pretty much everything important, so you might as well add another half MSP of engines or something. Also, that range is pathetic. Also, huge missiles like that are almost always a bad idea; your small salvos will be shot down easily and the reload time will be terrible.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: March 23, 2010, 08:24:07 am »

I've had 10 academies for years, and I do have lots of scientists. Rather crappy ones, though. And I'm really not seeing much advancement on those that actually work. The guy that's been on the MagCon drive hasn't gotten a single increase in the nigh-four years that project has lasted. The Defensive Systems guys has also worked a lot, but no improvement either. I have a few other people I use in other fields. Same deal most of the time. And I don't skip entire months too often, so there's been plenty of construction cycles.

I'll try putting the idle ones in 1-lab projects so they keep training. 0-lab projects don't train scientists, right? :P

Not a bad missile.
Actually, it's a terrible missile. I'm not sure what tech level you're working with, so I can't say what exactly you should do, but there are some pretty serious flaws I can see anyway. Most glaringly, there's no good reason to make a size 13.5 missile. Missile size rounds up for pretty much everything important, so you might as well add another half MSP of engines or something. Also, that range is pathetic. Also, huge missiles like that are almost always a bad idea; your small salvos will be shot down easily and the reload time will be terrible.

You're right. It was past midnight and I didn't notice the missile size. :P

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: March 23, 2010, 09:56:54 am »

Glad I posted it before I designed it then. Time to start doing missile research. What's an ideal missile size?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: March 23, 2010, 10:04:08 am »

There is no ideal missile size, warhead damage is an ideal though. 1,4,8,15,24,ect.

Just make sure that the ship has an endurance (fuel) slightly higher then the active sensor and fire control you're going to use. Put the rest into engine for ships with anti missile defenses, add some agility for things without anti missile defense or for other missiles.

The smaller the better. You can use decimals to get exact numbers, so with a warhead strength of 3 (the tech), you would need a warhead size (HS of missile) of 1.34 to reach the optimum 4 damage, then you can devote the extra .66 to engines or fuel.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:37:21 am by Micro102 »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: March 23, 2010, 10:26:22 am »

I've noticed the lack of scientist training myself. It is annoying mainly when random generation doesn't gift you with a few 25% ones at least.
(I managed to miss-click a button in SM and lost all my trained people to fresh recruits, which are all at 10% or less. (ok, two are 20%))

--
yeah. warhead strength is not incremental, so you have to finetune the proportion of MSP to not waste any weight.
Besides that range much beyond that of your tracking system is wasted.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: March 23, 2010, 11:09:24 am »

The best thing to do is to invest heavily in labs and RP research. Even with low researchers, if you have good supplies you'll get through a reasonable amount of research.

I'm having problems with income. Even with several levels of economy expansion research done, I can't run my factories and research labs at the same time without incurring a deficit. I'm not a congressman, so I really don't like to reduce my racial wealth. What happens when/if you run out of money?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: March 23, 2010, 02:19:55 pm »

The best thing to do is to invest heavily in labs and RP research. Even with low researchers, if you have good supplies you'll get through a reasonable amount of research.

I'm having problems with income. Even with several levels of economy expansion research done, I can't run my factories and research labs at the same time without incurring a deficit. I'm not a congressman, so I really don't like to reduce my racial wealth. What happens when/if you run out of money?

your people begin to not work much at the factories. slowly work less and less as you accumulate more deficit.

Just as in reality,  ;) If you grow your industries too quickly without waiting for the rest of the economy to catch up you will have huge problems.

Solutions-
1) Build wealth creating industries
2) subsidize your civilian shipping lines (they make up about 30% of my economy with the right ship designs), this could take a while though.
3) ship your people off to more colonies and get them growing faster and creating more wealth for you. once again take a while.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:22:27 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: March 23, 2010, 02:23:33 pm »

Build some economic centers.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: March 23, 2010, 02:29:18 pm »

Build some economic centers.

Financial centres are rather mediocre. Colonial expansion is a better option.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: March 23, 2010, 03:01:03 pm »

Is there a way to test weapons without actually engaging an enemy? If there isn't I'll probably add to the suggestions thread "Asteroid target practice".
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: March 23, 2010, 03:07:53 pm »

Not conventionally. You'd have to use SM mode to insta-build a design of yours, and then give that to a hostile NPR.

By the way, check out my "special reconnaissance" spacecraft! ;D

Ronin class Special Recon Vessel    5000 tons     485 Crew     1543.6 BP      TCS 15  TH 120  EM 0
7500 km/s    JR 3-250     Armour 2-26     Shields 0-0     Sensors 44/44/0/0     Damage Control Rating 3     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 57%    IFR: 0.8%    Maint Capacity 675 MSP    Max Repair 200 MSP    Est Time: 2.97 Years

J5000(3-250) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 5000 tons    Distance 250k km     Squadron Size 3
MagCon Fusion Drive E6-MS (6)    Power 125    Fuel Use 60%    Signature 20    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 150.0 billion km   (231 days at full power)

Moebius Sensor Suite A-19-16 (1)     GPS 1792     Range 19.7m km    Resolution 16
Moebius Sensor Suite T-4-44 (1)     Sensitivity 44     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  44m km
Moebius Sensor Suite E-4-44 (1)     Sensitivity 44     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  44m km
Cloaking Device: Class cross-section reduced to 15% of normal

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: March 23, 2010, 03:33:11 pm »

Woooo

Mine has the capability to scan an entire small solar system at the jump point ^_^

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also give my scouts grav sensors, so they can find the way to the next solar system to scout, makes for quick scouting with minimal micro.

Here is the first thing i found at the first scouted system... I bet these are friendly aliens who will help me on my way to the stars, I am sure...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:44:27 pm by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: March 23, 2010, 03:50:51 pm »

I smell star swarm.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: March 23, 2010, 04:05:37 pm »

question:

If i put thermal or EM sensors on my missiles will they track to the enemy those sensors pick up?

Or is it just like with ships , where you require active sensors to target something.

Im pretty sure its the Latter, but i coulda sworn someone was using thermals on missiles on the Aurora board in a thread i read!
 ???

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: March 23, 2010, 04:17:52 pm »

Woooo

Mine has the capability to scan an entire small solar system at the jump point ^_^

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You're the King of Excesses, as usual. Any overflow errors because of it? Big scout, sure, but it's not designed for special reconnaissance. ;)

As for missile sensors, I believe so. Whether you go thermal or EM depends on the kind of behaviour you'd like the missile to have. The former would have it go after pretty much the nearest target, while the latter would make it home in on those with active sensors on (which isn't every ship sometimes). That's my understanding, but unfortunately it's not backed by personal experience.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 1347