Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815002 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2730 on: March 22, 2010, 02:41:38 pm »

A mine huh? Interesting. Might explore it again, there was some wreckage nearby, assuming there aren't many more (might send in an anti-missile ship) might be Precursor wrecks.

I'm getting to really hate the Precursors.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

narskie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: March 22, 2010, 03:26:59 pm »

The precursors sounds a lot like the Guardians in MOO.  I'm almost finished my first jump capable ship, so I'm eager to have contact with them or maybe another race. 

I've already colonized Mars, and have loaded some terraforming units there.  Is getting O2 to about .15 or so the best initial route?  Also what's the best route to make Titan more habitable? 

Can gravity ever be altered?  It seems strange that with infrastructure humans can live in extreme tempuratures with an oxygen-free, crushing atmosphere but gravity remains an insurmountable barrier.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: March 22, 2010, 04:02:15 pm »

I'll post some of my designs for your amusement.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
^This was my first reaction to missile armed precursors in 4.91 game. As you can see - conventional start + I had good luck with starting duranium and neutronium on Earth. It actually caused 3 NPR ships to spend all their missiles and had its armor dented to about 17-19 depth in one place and about 10 (1/3 of total) on average. Mission accomplished, laugh if you want. I would not recommend designing any military ships on this tech level as you'll be able to upgrade all vital techs by the time your first ship is ready.

This is my "go on, try to hurt me" flagman ship in my new 5.02 game 7 months from leaving the shipyard. Again its main purpose is to attract missiles and provide active sensor illumination of the battlefield. Of course it won't catch anyone but it should be solid on the defensive side.

I am aware of swarms of fast meson gunboat fleets - so the flagship should be followed by 1 or 2 carriers like this:

I've already cleared one system from a mix of torpedo and missile precursors with light (under 6 k tons) plasma carronade armed cruisers and 1.5 k tons heavy gunboats but the losses were dire and I could lose with some bad luck or smarter precursor tactics. I don't recommend plasma carronades at all. (Lack of res.1 sensors was a mistake. Plasma carronades were an experiment.)

Next time I'll probably design Strike Cruisers around short range area PD and long range Microwaves idea.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: March 22, 2010, 06:09:01 pm »

If I had to say anything about the ships, it would be to increase fuel efficiency, that's a lot of fuel to the dump, speed is decent, and I realize how much of a fuel speed maniac I am, but some faster ship (other than the FAC) would really help greatly, and start researching some gauss before I have to go through why its better than lasers. :P

PS: my internet was acting REALLY strange today, this is about the third time I got on today, after cutting out for hours!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:10:56 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: March 22, 2010, 06:57:20 pm »

Question about missile warheads: How do you get laser warheads. I don't see any research for that, are there prereqs or something?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: March 22, 2010, 06:59:19 pm »

I think far x-ray lasers are the prereq.  I may have misremembered though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: March 22, 2010, 08:59:42 pm »

I wonder how you're supposed to research the most expensive techs, those that cost over 200,000 RP. Even with the best scientists, one of such projects would take a decade or more!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2737 on: March 22, 2010, 09:04:59 pm »

I wonder how you're supposed to research the most expensive techs, those that cost over 200,000 RP. Even with the best scientists, one of such projects would take a decade or more!
Better lab tech?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: March 22, 2010, 09:21:53 pm »

The 500 RP upgrade already costs 80,000 RP. :P

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: March 22, 2010, 10:02:44 pm »

The hardest part is finding the ideal researcher for the task. You would, in theory, want a researcher with a 30% boost who can manage 45 labs. At 500 RP per year per lab, we're looking at 22500 RP per year, plus 120% for the bonus puts it at 49500 . That's a little over 4 years for a 200,000 RP project in an ideal situation.

I think it would be kind of cool if, in a later version, you actually encountered small bands of precursors, trying to hide from whatever it was that wiped them out.

Edit: math fail.

Edit 2: How's this for a missile?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:20:56 pm by Grendus »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: March 22, 2010, 10:35:05 pm »

Not a bad missile.

As for researchers, well, the best one I have has a 40% bonus (Defensive Systems specialization) and the ability to manage 30 labs. Superb in his field, but I don't have anyone anywhere near that good in other fields.

I've been spending over three years, almost four, researching Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drive Technology (60,000 RP, I think). The researcher responsible has a 25% bonus (Power and Propulsion specialization) and can handle only 20 labs: 16000 annual RP, considering 400 RP lab tech. Not even this kind of scientist is the norm, as bonuses over 15% are pretty rare in my experience. Some people get better as they work, but that's very rare as well, from my point of view.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: March 22, 2010, 10:48:12 pm »

I have four above 15%, six above 10%. I finally got a SF researcher with 15%, before that I was using my 30% Defense researcher for his large raw bonus and decent lab management skills. Still, research is something you have to work at. Makes it worth getting, there's definitely a difference between, say, a strength 9 particle torpedo and a strength 2 particle torpedo (assuming you have the capacitor and reactor tech to back it up). That's what makes researching RP so important. 500 RP is more than twice the base level, even if it shuts down your research it's a good investment in the long run.

Time to start harvesting sorium. I processed most of my stock on earth and nearby planets already (barring difficult sources like Venus), and missiles use a lot of fuel apparently.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:55:03 pm by Grendus »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: March 23, 2010, 01:02:34 am »

get more naval academies for more researchers with higher bonus's. One of my Aurora steam group people lives by spamming them.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2743 on: March 23, 2010, 02:39:23 am »

I tend to make about 10 academy's and my current game 16 years in has a 30%, 2 25%, 5 15%, and a gagle of lower %'s. I actually had 2 30% but the secound was also 30% at the skill the geo team uses so he ended up there.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: March 23, 2010, 06:19:21 am »

I also spam 10 academies at the start and after 40 years of researching one of my scientists is now at 65% bonus. 40-45% is not so rare after training.

Always train your best in each field by giving them at least 1 lab and a long project.

Never have anyone who you intend to use later without a project in the queue. Three reasons: 1. Automatic retirement if one is too old and has no current assignment. :( 2. They would miss an opportunity to get better in that economic time increment. 3. Some research points are added to the queued project in that time increment instead of wasting the spillover from the finished one.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1347