Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815174 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2700 on: March 21, 2010, 09:40:08 pm »

No, no. There is, I believe, a difference.

Shutting down sectors is instant, but reactivating them is not. However, fuel production can be quickly paused and unpaused.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: March 21, 2010, 09:42:09 pm »

yup....... hmmm
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: March 21, 2010, 09:45:51 pm »

In unrelated news, one of my geologists is named Jesus. I'm hoping for miraculous deposits of tritanium...

My new game after updating is a great setup. Started with a few more research labs to speed research, and the researchers who came with them were a nice spread. Minerals are a bit scarce, but the geological task groups have been striking huge finds left and right, it's great. Now to research some good weapons, then set up PDC's next to the warp points and explore new systems. I figure if I go in with hyperdrive-capable ships with gravitational sensors, I'll detect any precursors long before I have to fight them, and if they warp through I can ambush them at the warp point with very heavy torpedo PDC's, which are cheaper and have less overhead than warships.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: March 21, 2010, 09:55:58 pm »

In unrelated news, one of my geologists is named Jesus.
:D

I'm hoping for miraculous deposits of tritanium...

I need tritanium on earth soon, and just so it can laugh, the RNG decided to only put them on various comets and asteroids (you remember my asteroid miner comments), Venus has one, but its only accessibility 0.1.  ::)

Also, is it me or did Steve only implement star luminosity class V (sub'dwarfs' like our sun) and VII (white dwarfs)? I so far my 100+ systems don't have any VI, IV, III, II or I classes. :(
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:58:37 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: March 21, 2010, 10:07:25 pm »

yea you guys have it real bad  ::)

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: March 21, 2010, 10:14:40 pm »

You're further into the game than I am, at least. You have fewer mines and are producing more minerals. Sounds like you need to do some expansion while you still have the minerals to move.

Question about civilian ships. Do I have to tool a commercial shipyard for something that I will never build, like civilian transport, or will they just build them automatically?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2706 on: March 21, 2010, 10:21:47 pm »

Just as a note seeing as I have up until now completely forgot to add this when I was talking about asteroid miners and such, I use a lot of engine-less ships. There are the miners for asteroids, the harvesters for the gas giants, jump point defense systems varying form the basic sensor array up to fully loaded missile defense systems, and last but not least the good old terraforming ship. Out of them all it is most efficient to build the terraforming ships because it takes much to long to ship the parts for terraforming facility's and with ships you don't need people planet-side to operate it thus allowing you to terraform without infrastructure.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: March 21, 2010, 10:22:55 pm »

yea you guys have it real bad  ::)

I can't compare on anything but Tritanium, because even though I have around forty-five thousand bits of Tritanium, all of it left in the system is on comets and asteroids, though I'm having a shortage of... Duranium (yes laugh all you want, because you will run out too), not as in I've run out, but as in its lower than most of the other minerals (fifty-four thousand), but I consider myself lucky I have so much minerals in Sol from the start.

Another bad thing is I have so much Mercassium, I can just feel it taunting me because I have so little Duranium.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: March 21, 2010, 10:24:27 pm »

Civilian companies build ships out of thin air, only spending their own wealth in the process.

And Journier, that means little. That could last for a few good years, and besides you could have several colonies shooting packets at that planet anyway. My Earth's like that (though worse on Corundium and Gallicite), but remains my main industrial centre. It'll do well for a couple more decades as long as I don't push her too hard. :P

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: March 21, 2010, 10:33:00 pm »

Of that note, anyone find a use for all that damned Corbomite I have piling up on earth because mars has so much of it on a high accessibility? (six hundred and seventy-six thousand, and mars still has six million in it.)

Or what about Boronide? (seven hundred and thirty-three hundred thousand, mars still has three million.)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: March 21, 2010, 10:39:20 pm »

Praise the lord, I have struck a deposit of tritanium on an asteroid. 20226 tritanium with accessibility .9. I knew letting Jesus search the planet was a good idea.

Now I need... Neutronium. Praying for neutronium.

Of that note, anyone find a use for all that damned Corbomite I have piling up on earth because mars has so much of it on a high accessibility? (six hundred and seventy-six thousand, and mars still has six million in it.)

Or what about Boronide? (seven hundred and thirty-three hundred thousand, mars still has three million.)

They're both used in gigantic projects, but neither is useful for anything specific. At least, nothing at my tech level.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: March 21, 2010, 10:42:02 pm »

Mineral descriptions:

1. Duranium. Most common ore and used to build factories, mines and ship structures.
   2. Neutronium. Very dense material used for shipyards, advanced armors and kinetic weapons such as railguns or orbital bombardment systems.
   3. Corbomite. Used for advanced shields, stealth systems and electronic warfare systems.
   4. Tritanium. The primary material used in many missile technologies and in the construction of ordnance factories.
   5. Boronide. The primary material used in the construction of power systems and capacitors and also for the creation of Terraforming facilities.
   6. Sorium. Used for construction of jump drives and jump gates. Also refined by fuel refineries to produce fuel.
   7. Uridium. Used in sensors and fire control systems.
   8. Corundium. The primary material used in almost all energy weapons.
   9. Mercassium. Used for Research Facilities, life support systems and tractor beams.
  10. Vendarite. Used in the construction of fighters, fighter factories and fighter bases.
  11. Gallicite. Used in the construction of engines, including missile and fighter engines.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: March 21, 2010, 10:49:03 pm »

I know that, I was just hoping anyone else had a use for it other than the selected uses, why am I so unlucky to have two of the most useless minerals in such a high quantity?

Also, I have a grand total of five completely habitable planets/moons in Sol, try to guess them all, [tip, I have a gravity difference tolerance of .902 (G)].

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: March 21, 2010, 11:40:21 pm »

I tried to register on the Aurora forum.  However, the Aurora forum registration mechanism is broken.  The captcha repeatedly states that I am entering the code incorrectly.  Moreover, though the header on the forum states that guests can post on the New Player pages, the New Player pages still require registration.  Can a registered player please reach out to the creator of Aurora to let him know other players would like to participate but cannot due to the broken condition of his forum?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: March 21, 2010, 11:53:41 pm »

I know that, I was just hoping anyone else had a use for it other than the selected uses, why am I so unlucky to have two of the most useless minerals in such a high quantity?

Also, I have a grand total of five completely habitable planets/moons in Sol, try to guess them all, [tip, I have a gravity difference tolerance of .902 (G)].

earth
mars
titan

venus

mercury

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 1347