Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815036 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2610 on: March 20, 2010, 04:01:43 pm »

super fast heavy ships with highly inefficient engine space useage dont make my ships effective.  8)  Also I slowly increase my speed every engine tech level I get. so when i get Magneto Plasma drives Ill probably bump my ships to 2500 km/s
Code: [Select]
Baltimore II class Corvette    4000 tons     427 Crew     1317 BP      TCS 80  TH 231  EM 120
8250 km/s     Armour 4-22     Shields 4-480     Sensors 12/12/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 12
Annual Failure Rate: 128%    IFR: 1.8%    Maint Capacity 206 MSP    Max Repair 189 MSP    Est Time: 0.85 Years

Internal Confinement Fusion Drive E6 (Fast, 1.1) (6)    Power 110    Fuel Use 60%    Signature 38.5    Armour 0    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 400,000 Litres    Range 300.0 billion km   (420 days at full power)
Theta R480/28 Shields (1)   Total Fuel Cost  28 Litres per day

20cm C4 Ultraviolet Laser (2)    Range 320,000km     TS: 8250 km/s     Power 10-4     RM 4    ROF 15        10 10 10 10 8 6 5 5 4 4
Fire Control S06 160-6000 H70 (1)    Max Range: 320,000 km   TS: 6000 km/s     97 94 91 88 84 81 78 75 72 69

Active Search Sensor MR22-R20 (1)     GPS 3780     Range 22.7m km    Resolution 20
Thermal Sensor TH2-12 (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  12m km
EM Detection Sensor EM2-12 (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  12m km

ECM 10

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

See this ship? it would wipe your ships out, because you can't kill them if they are out of range, and its hell to hit a fast ship with ECM anyway. oh, and even if you hit them they can go hit-and-run with their shields.

Also, I realized I forgot to put some weapons on one of my ship designs.  :-[

No... I dont think it would... Since I never send my ships alone.

And you are building an entire seperate class to counter my single ship. The point of a fleet is to counter another fleets capability's. My Hood is capable of Area Defense and final fire allowing it to knock out by itself 20+ missiles per salvo per hood.

My Edward VII, will keep your little long ranged ships 75 million miles away from me unless they wanna die.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Missiles are the fastest ships in my fleet but they tend to be single use  :P

I am not arguing the use of high speed smaller ships with single use capability's. I will be having smaller missile ships and transport marine shuttles  :D

ignore that ships fire control being outranged by the weapon, the missile is 20 years newer than the ship design  :P
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:16:26 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: March 20, 2010, 04:14:36 pm »

Your missiles are slow, they will easily be shot down, you also have no missile defense, no not your Hood class, because it doesn't have resolution 0 sensors.

You 2 could keep on creating classes all day that could counter each other but int he end it comes down to who can manage them the best.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: March 20, 2010, 04:16:10 pm »

Whats the chance the missiles would hit 5000 km's?

This is the new design since the first was had no reactor. ::)

Code: [Select]
Baltimore III class Corvette    4500 tons     460 Crew     1537.2 BP      TCS 90  TH 252  EM 600
8000 km/s     Armour 4-24     Shields 20-480     Sensors 12/12/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 12
Annual Failure Rate: 162%    IFR: 2.2%    Maint Capacity 214 MSP    Max Repair 189 MSP    Est Time: 0.7 Years

Internal Confinement Fusion Drive E7 (v-fast) (6)    Power 120    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 42    Armour 0    Exp 16% [Since one good hit would likely kill it anyway]
Fuel Capacity 500,000 Litres    Range 285.7 billion km   (413 days at full power)
Theta R480/28 Shields (5)   Total Fuel Cost  140 Litres per day

20cm C4 Ultraviolet Laser (2)    Range 320,000km     TS: 8000 km/s     Power 10-4     RM 4    ROF 15        10 10 10 10 8 6 5 5 4 4
Fire Control S06 160-6000 H70 (1)    Max Range: 320,000 km   TS: 6000 km/s     97 94 91 88 84 81 78 75 72 69
Tokamak Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 AR-0 (3)     Total Power Output 24    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR22-R20 (1)     GPS 3780     Range 22.7m km    Resolution 20
Thermal Sensor TH2-12 (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  12m km
EM Detection Sensor EM2-12 (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  12m km

ECM 20

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

Also:
And you are building an entire seperate class to counter my single ship.

that is not true, it was build to be fast even before I knew what your ships speed was, after my battle with the precursors I wanted a faster ship since they go 5000 km/s.

And micro, nice job posting right before I was going too.  :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: March 20, 2010, 04:18:40 pm »

Your missiles are slow, they will easily be shot down, you also have no missile defense, no not your Hood class, because it doesn't have resolution 0 sensors.

You 2 could keep on creating classes all day that could counter each other but int he end it comes down to who can manage them the best.

Sigh.....

If you look above there is a CC ship, Command and Control, Multiple command and control ships.

They are made of these.  I dont need resolution 0 sensors on my ships since the command and control ships already do.

And I am not making up ships I am showing my fleets design that I posted earlier.

that is not true, it was build to be fast even before I knew what your ships speed was, after my battle with the precursors I wanted a faster ship since they go 5000 km/s.

Ok Then, Show me your fleet of fast ships, and you already know the makeup of my fleet of slow ships with mixed tech. You also outtech me so make up a fleet for me to fight off?

Like I said I havent made any new designs etc just the designs from my current fleet that I showed a picture of earlier.

Also to answer your question about my missiles to hit chance on 5k
so i figure 50% ish.. chance to hit one of your ships at 8k
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:34:07 pm by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: March 20, 2010, 04:31:41 pm »

Hmm. I'm not sure I get your ship design philosophy, Journier.

Lightly protected vessels, very oversized considering your engine tech level. With speeds like those, you'll never get to use your beam weapons. They'd be relegated to point-defense duties, and even be rather inefficient at that. Quad turrets are fine, but the calibre is needlessly large since all you'll get to fire at is missiles. More yet smaller turrets would be more effective.

The first Hood design would be specially ineffective given poor tracking speed (not to mention its minimal fuel endurance).

Your fleet is ultimately not all about laser spam, but missile spam.

As for the command ship, why so many active sensors? Just keep the largest one. It's bound to pick up smaller things still pretty far.

Here's the main composition of my current fleet:

I'm at a disadvantage in sensor range, but I believe yours are, like the ships, needlessly oversized.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: March 20, 2010, 04:37:45 pm »

Fine, you asked for it, and yes i have maintenance turned off, I just don't want to deal with that stuff.

I also just realized I have no normal cruiser.  ::)

Edit; yes I am a higher tech, I started with a more realistic 1 Bill population, and its been going for 70 years.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:46:41 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: March 20, 2010, 04:48:15 pm »

Skimming through your designs, Tarran, I noticed your point-defense DD's turrets have a vastly faster tracking speed than that of their associated fire control. The benefit of all TS past 16000 km/s is therefore lost. Your Cleveland class suffers from a similar limitation.

Besides that, I think they look good, on the whole. At least on the surface. There's quite a few of them and I'm too tired to exhaustively analyze them at the moment. :P
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:52:31 pm by Greenbane »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: March 20, 2010, 04:55:33 pm »

Skimming through your designs, Tarran, I noticed your point-defense DD's turrets have a vastly faster tracking speed than that of their associated fire control. The benefit of all TS past 16000 km/s is therefore lost. Your Cleveland class suffers from a similar limitation.

Besides that, I think they look good, on the whole. At least on the surface. There's quite a few of them and I'm too tired to exhaustively analyze them at the moment. :P
I'm a bit low tech on the tracking speed of fire controls, its X4 speed and X4 size.

Edit; About the cleveland, thanks, I don't think I updated it to the new fire controls. ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:57:52 pm by Tarran »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: March 20, 2010, 04:59:39 pm »

Then you should tone down the TS of the turrets. One with a TS of 16000 km/s would be cheaper and smaller than a 26000 km/s equivalent.

EDIT: But not that much, it seems. ???
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:02:08 pm by Greenbane »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: March 20, 2010, 05:04:51 pm »

I disagree with the one active sensor will still pick up smaller stuff thing.  I tried using that method before and it didn't work out well for me.  Sure you'll still eventually pick them up, but not until really close, much closer than if you simply had an extra active scanner anywhere near the right size.

Sure I don't add a ton, but I like having more than 1 when possible.  Usually no more than 3 on capital ships.  And it builds in some redundancy anyway. 

Lately I've been building more and more redundancy into designs.  Helps protect from a lucky meson completely crippling a ship.  Instead of one reactor handling all of my energy weapon needs, now I split it up between multiple.  And often not just 100% either, 150% energy requirements.  Magazines I'll also prefer to use 2 smaller ones instead of one big one nowadays.

I don't know how well it works yet though, it's a recent design strategy.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: March 20, 2010, 05:06:12 pm »

(to Greenbane)

It saves me the time to research it over again, and I plan to upgrade my fire control tracking speed sometime, not worth it to change it now, and upgrading costs less.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: March 20, 2010, 05:14:43 pm »

I had a nice reply to greenbane but my post didnt make it..... wtf

anyways yea my ships arent perfect.

My fleet is made for long range interdiction of missiles via laser and missile swarming capability.

My lasers are that large because that allows me to get 2-3 salvo's out of the lasers before Missiles close into target range for final fire.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: March 20, 2010, 05:16:44 pm »

Lately I've been building more and more redundancy into designs.  Helps protect from a lucky meson completely crippling a ship.  Instead of one reactor handling all of my energy weapon needs, now I split it up between multiple.  And often not just 100% either, 150% energy requirements.  Magazines I'll also prefer to use 2 smaller ones instead of one big one nowadays.

I don't know how well it works yet though, it's a recent design strategy.

There is no use making very large magazines or power plants since theres no advantage of doing it, Thats how I handle most of my shit in game since i read a fairly decent thread on Aurora forums about it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: March 20, 2010, 05:18:00 pm »

There is an advantage, It uses less crew and costs less. But yeah 2 is better then 1.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: March 20, 2010, 05:20:36 pm »

I had a nice reply to greenbane but my post didnt make it..... wtf

It seems to be because someone posts before you?  ??? I nearly lost a post once to micro, but the backwards/forwards feature of firefox saved it.  :)

And I'm sorry about complaining about your ships, you'll learn the hard way from our favorite worst enemy, the precursors.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 1347