Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814998 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2580 on: March 19, 2010, 06:00:42 pm »

Code: [Select]
Mining Base class Asteroid Miner    46300 tons     935 Crew     1274.6 BP      TCS 926  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-114     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 17 MSP    Max Repair 120 MSP
Asteroid Miner: 9 module(s) producing 90 tons per mineral per annum

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes
here is my optimal Asteroid Miner with 9 modules. the only tech that can get better is mining rate and armor.

I copied that, and mine is smaller. It also produces more minerals, but I've done some mining research. Once I get tractor beam tech and start producing class B freighters with them (and possibly jump modules, haven't decided if I want to go that route or just build gate constructors for when I expand into the next nebula) I'll be able to deploy. Then onwards to setting up colonies.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2581 on: March 19, 2010, 06:24:43 pm »

The only bad thing I see is that its an orbital base, so, you're basically shipping around automated mines with a tug, let alone with the maintenance, it also takes MUCH longer to build than if you were building automated mines (from an example like earth).
There is no maintenance because it is Commercial ship. Yes automated mines are basically this but I use it for all those small asteroids with only a couple hundred of a few minerals so that it is faster than shipping automated mines everywhere because the asteroids that are far out would require with and average hauler that can carry 1 automine 9 trips to get as much as 1 trip with a tug and my miner.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: March 19, 2010, 06:56:33 pm »

Cant figure out the galaxy map. All I have on it are 4 systems in a straight line. I've explored more than that.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2583 on: March 19, 2010, 07:18:22 pm »

Cant figure out the galaxy map. All I have on it are 4 systems in a straight line. I've explored more than that.
Try moving them around, likely they're hidden beneath each other. You can arrange it however you like.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: March 19, 2010, 07:26:22 pm »

You can mouse-drag systems around while holding Shift. Once you're done, use the Sys Pos button to save their custom positions.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:28:25 pm by Greenbane »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: March 19, 2010, 07:33:21 pm »

Thanks guys.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: March 19, 2010, 08:16:26 pm »

The only bad thing I see is that its an orbital base, so, you're basically shipping around automated mines with a tug, let alone with the maintenance, it also takes MUCH longer to build than if you were building automated mines (from an example like earth).
There is no maintenance because it is Commercial ship. Yes automated mines are basically this but I use it for all those small asteroids with only a couple hundred of a few minerals so that it is faster than shipping automated mines everywhere because the asteroids that are far out would require with and average hauler that can carry 1 automine 9 trips to get as much as 1 trip with a tug and my miner.

You still have to pick up the minerals though, and you should be spending your time dropping your geology teams on small moons.  :P

what you are doing should be only once you have surveyed, 'geology'd and mined all the moons/planets in sol, that's when you use asteroid miners, because the moons likely will yield more minerals, I still haven't mined everything yet, and I'm in 60 years.

Warning - while you were typing 4 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I love homework.  ::)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2587 on: March 19, 2010, 08:38:29 pm »

and you should be spending your time dropping your geology teams on small moons.  :P
You know you can just create a colony on a new world/moon/asteroid then disband the team and recreate it on the new colony right?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: March 19, 2010, 08:44:52 pm »

What do geology teams do, anyways? I've never used them... I don't even know how to make them.

I can definitely see the advantage of mine ships over conventional mines for small asteroids. A 5 cargo bay freighter with a tractor beam could drop 10 mines in one go, or a 9 mines and a mass driver to deliver them to earth. Then when you've strip mined the tiny asteroid, you can come back and get the entire complex in one go. Much easier logistically.

Edit: Also, I've got a few jump geosurvey ships now. I've scanned several anomalies and found jump points, and know how to send my ships through, but I don't know how to get them back through. Will they just come back if I set some return condition (presuming, of course, that they don't get blasted to kingdom come by some unseelie horror on the other side) or do I have to set some orders for them to return?

Double Edit: Nevermind. Apparently now I can see the galaxy Proxima Centauri... and there are two possible colonies here. Awesome!

Triple Edit: Aaaand... I have made thermal contact. 2000 thermal, either precursor or NPR with no thermal reduction. They're really friggin fast, and they blasted my gravsurvey ships with energy or kinetic weapons. Interesting. I'm hoping for precursor, I really don't want aggressive NPR's one jump away from earth.

Quadruple Edit: And that's game. The precursor ships (checked SM mode) have come through the warp. The only military research I've done is sensors.  I don't even have war ships yet, and those things are within sensor range of earth. Might as well have done a zero point embark next to a skarp river. Oh well, losing is fun.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:35:06 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: March 19, 2010, 11:18:45 pm »

and you should be spending your time dropping your geology teams on small moons.  :P
You know you can just create a colony on a new world/moon/asteroid then disband the team and recreate it on the new colony right?

That is basically an exploit, and it can be a pain in the ass to find your guys over and over, more-so while assigning ship officers.

What do geology teams do, anyways? I've never used them... I don't even know how to make them.

Basically, a geology team 'finds' (creates out of thin air) extra minerals, and/or increase accessibility.
in the teams/academy tab of the planet tab, under 'form new team (select five team members from qualifying officers)', the drop-down box, geology, it might be a good idea to also hit the box 'unassigned only', make sure that the overall team skill is 90 or more as the chance the team will decide that they can't find anymore minerals is (I think I remember) [geology team skill]/100 with a minimum of 10%.

I can definitely see the advantage of mine ships over conventional mines for small asteroids. A 5 cargo bay freighter with a tractor beam could drop 10 mines in one go, or a 9 mines and a mass driver to deliver them to earth. Then when you've strip mined the tiny asteroid, you can come back and get the entire complex in one go. Much easier logistically.

Yes, yes, my ass is kicked already, stop it!
still, you can get much more minerals by geology teams inspecting moons and planets and dropping mines off instead of going asteroid to asteroid, asteroid mining still works though.

Double Edit: Nevermind. Apparently now I can see the galaxy Proxima Centauri... and there are two possible colonies here. Awesome!

This bodes badly...

Triple Edit: Aaaand... I have made thermal contact. 2000 thermal, either precursor or NPR with no thermal reduction. They're really friggin fast, and they blasted my gravsurvey ships with energy or kinetic weapons. Interesting. I'm hoping for precursor, I really don't want aggressive NPR's one jump away from earth.

Knew it.

Quadruple Edit: And that's game. The precursor ships (checked SM mode) have come through the warp. The only military research I've done is sensors.  I don't even have war ships yet, and those things are within sensor range of earth. Might as well have done a zero point embark next to a skarp river. Oh well, losing is fun.

General Colt:'Fire the ICBM's!... wait, we never thought of aliens now did we?'  :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2590 on: March 19, 2010, 11:27:42 pm »

That is basically an exploit, and it can be a pain in the ass to find your guys over and over, more-so while assigning ship officers.
Says who? I don't have to fly my governer out to his planet either.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: March 19, 2010, 11:51:30 pm »

Basically, a geology team 'finds' (creates out of thin air) extra minerals, and/or increase accessibility.
in the teams/academy tab of the planet tab, under 'form new team (select five team members from qualifying officers)', the drop-down box, geology, it might be a good idea to also hit the box 'unassigned only', make sure that the overall team skill is 90 or more as the chance the team will decide that they can't find anymore minerals is (I think I remember) [geology team skill]/100 with a minimum of 10%.

Yes, yes, my ass is kicked already, stop it!

To be fair, I thought the same way. I learned as much from that post. I have a squadron of 13 mine ships now strip mining all the nearby asteroids. They're slightly modified, I gave them a single engine and fuel so they can snail their way around the galaxy instead of being dragged, but they're cheap and effective.

This bodes badly...

Knew it.

General Colt:'Fire the ICBM's!... wait, we never thought of aliens now did we?'  :P

Yes, yes, my ass is kicked already.

That's the last time I rush out of the galaxy in 8 years. I think next time I'll go in with active grav sensors and leave an ambush party at the Sol end of the tunnel, as just in case. Even a precursor ship will go down if you pummel it while it's still blind from the jump... I hope.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: March 20, 2010, 12:12:21 am »

you can be like me and stay on earth for 40+ years before venturing out :)

I wait till i get all basic research done in all area's before heading out.

Earths solar system has enough resources to handle alot of production before you gotta leave.

Earth alone doesnt have much :)
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: March 20, 2010, 12:27:18 am »

Earths solar system has enough resources to handle of production before you gotta leave.

You... spend 40+ years in sol?

Homebody:P

Yeah, I'll admit I do explore fast.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: March 20, 2010, 01:18:19 am »

Earths solar system has enough resources to handle of production before you gotta leave.

You... spend 40+ years in sol?

Homebody:P

Yeah, I'll admit I do explore fast.

In my current succession game yea, in my own singleplayer game i think i moved out after 20 years. I like a nice little fleet before i venture into the first system :)

I am sure this relates to my first venture out in my first game with a small fleet which got completely raped by a single precursor ship.  :o
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:18:07 am by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 1347