Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814978 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2565 on: March 19, 2010, 01:07:25 pm »

Why the hell can't this game be 3D?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: March 19, 2010, 01:18:15 pm »

Opps, sorry I spoiled that, the star swarm are a 'bug' like race in the sense that they have a 'mothership', the 'workers' are gunboats with masons, and there are a lot of them, lucky they don't seem to travel non JumpGate JumpPoints, so I can safely ignore them.

Spoiler:  Kinda spoilerish (click to show/hide)

Oh, crap. :o

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why the hell can't this game be 3D?

It'd be a lot more shallow if it were, or at least much more unfinished.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: March 19, 2010, 02:15:13 pm »

Can anyone explain to me how a hyperdrive works?

Oh and why I would use enhanced radiation or Laser warheads?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 02:18:49 pm by ThtblovesDF »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: March 19, 2010, 02:18:53 pm »

You go super fast and use super amounts of fuel, however each system has it's own hyper-drive area and i forgot how to find it on the system map. Best used in huge systems without same-system jump points WP

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: March 19, 2010, 02:43:02 pm »

You go super fast and use super amounts of fuel, however each system has it's own hyper-drive area and i forgot how to find it on the system map. Best used in huge systems without same-system jump points WP

you go 10x faster, while using the same amount of fuel.

The hyperdrive no go area is shown on the f3 system map on the display tab at the very bottom checkbox.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: March 19, 2010, 02:55:05 pm »

Hyperdrive, in its first level, needlessly takes up more space. research until you get hyperdrive 1.5 or something like that, the '1.5' means the engine is one and a half as big if it has a hyperdrive (375 tons). the base level is way too big (500 tons).

hyperdrive is limited, in the display(1) the bottom checkbox says 'hyperdrive limit', click on it and you should see a light blue circle around any star you see, a ship cannot use hyperdrive in that circle.

but that X10 speed makes the extra size it uses up is non crippling if you don't go through non-hyperdrive spots.

it might be useful for a scout, as a war ship? not really a good idea since you will need too go fast everywhere and all the time, not just in that limit around the star.

Ed:

Oh and why I would use enhanced radiation or Laser warheads?

Rad does much more damage to a planet than normal missiles, as it has more radiation, don't expect the planet to be in good shape though! might be if you want to save whatever industry they have on planet while killing the population.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:01:27 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: March 19, 2010, 03:20:51 pm »

Thank you!

Now I tried to make a "mine" (bouy?)... but when I tried it, it just droped off the buoys that then just fired there payload (3x size 3 missiles) right into space where they just kinda sat around till they ran out of fuel...

I put down a way point and target'd it, maybe that was what I did wrong?

The mine is just a buoy with sensor/reactor time and missiles in it that have there own sensor, too.
Code: [Select]
Buoy Size: 12 MSP  (0.6 HS)     Armour: 0
Reactor Endurance: 40 months
Active Sensor Strength: 4.5    Resolution: 2    Maximum Range: 90,000 km     
Cost Per Buoy: 43.9001
Second Stage: Size 3 Rat 90 x3
Second Stage Separation Range: 150,000 km
Materials Required:    7.5x Tritanium   8x Boronide   18x Uridium   9.4001x Gallicite

Development Cost for Project: 4390RP

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2572 on: March 19, 2010, 03:29:53 pm »

Mining Base class Asteroid Miner    46300 tons     935 Crew     1274.6 BP      TCS 926  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-114     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 17 MSP    Max Repair 120 MSP
Asteroid Miner: 9 module(s) producing 90 tons per mineral per annum

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes
here is my optimal Asteroid Miner with 9 modules. the only tech that can get better is mining rate and armor.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: March 19, 2010, 04:02:26 pm »

Laser warheads are an AoE weapon.  When a laser warhead goes off it fires x ray lasers in a radius, damaging ships near the target as well as the target itself.

And yea hyperdrive, at least at lower levels, is too large to really be useful.  Only my geosurveys and one kind of freighter have them.  And the hyperdrive freighter's only real purpose is to drop off a mass driver and mines on any mining planets.  I don't even try to colonize stuff way out there, seems to micromanage-y to try.

Oh and if you do use a hyperdrive, it's a little tricky to use.  You need to stick a waypoint just outside the system's hyper limit, order the ship to move there, THEN tell it to enter hyper, THEN tell it to go to it's destination.  And it's the same way when it's entering a hyper limit, you need to tell it to go to a waypoint just outside the hyper limit, then tell it to drop out of hyper, then tell it to carry on to it's destination.  Mess any of that up and the ship just sits around saying "I don't understand" every 5 seconds.

Naturally, it's a nightmare to set up an automated route like this, since the planets will be moving, and your waypoints won't be.  At least the outsystems stars are usually small enough to not have to worry about their hyper limit.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:04:32 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: March 19, 2010, 04:05:10 pm »

I've made an asteroid miner but I cant figure out what orders to give him.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2575 on: March 19, 2010, 04:07:15 pm »

I've made an asteroid miner but I cant figure out what orders to give him.
you just put it in orbit of a colony with minerals and it acts like an automated mine for each mining module. no orders just need it there.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: March 19, 2010, 04:13:12 pm »

Sweet.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: March 19, 2010, 04:29:10 pm »

Don't forget to have something like a mass driver on there, it speeds up your play time considerably, no micromanagement.

Mining Base class Asteroid Miner    46300 tons     935 Crew     1274.6 BP      TCS 926  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-114     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 17 MSP    Max Repair 120 MSP
Asteroid Miner: 9 module(s) producing 90 tons per mineral per annum

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes
here is my optimal Asteroid Miner with 9 modules. the only tech that can get better is mining rate and armor.

The only bad thing I see is that its an orbital base, so, you're basically shipping around automated mines with a tug, let alone with the maintenance, it also takes MUCH longer to build than if you were building automated mines (from an example like earth).
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: March 19, 2010, 04:50:49 pm »

Naturally, it's a nightmare to set up an automated route like this, since the planets will be moving, and your waypoints won't be.  At least the outsystems stars are usually small enough to not have to worry about their hyper limit.

I thought only stars affected the hyper limit, and their position is fixed.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: March 19, 2010, 05:09:47 pm »

I thought only stars affected the hyper limit, and their position is fixed.

Greiger meant the planets move and can go from one end of the HyDv limit to the other, it can be a mess,

and, stars DO move, not the primary, but the 2nd/3rd/4th stars.

On that note, has no-one found even one hyper/super-giant yet? (class I & II)
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 1347