Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814435 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2400 on: March 07, 2010, 09:08:16 pm »

Rodney class Planetary Defence Centre    39150 tons     837 Crew     2301 BP      TCS 783  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 10-102     Sensors 1/400     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 40
Troop Capacity: 10 Battalions    Magazine 940   

PDC Size 1 Missile Launcher (40)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 5
Missile Fire Control FC0-R1 (10)     Range 720k km    Resolution 1
Size 1 Anti-missile Missile (950)  Speed: 18,000 km/s   End: 0.7m    Range: 0.8m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 204 / 122 / 61

PDC Active Sensor-1 (1)     GPS 400     Range 2.0m km    Resolution 1

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Planetary Defence Centre and can be pre-fabricated in 16 sections

This should be better :3
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:14:20 pm by Tilla »

lolwut99

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: March 07, 2010, 11:14:05 pm »

Perhaps instead of a conventional succession game there might be more interest in a "Play by committee" game.
(space empires IV has had one running for a LOOOOONG time... http://www.spaceempires.net/forum-c13.html&sid=9e58839ed80c269ce6c2bccf3115507d ) With individual people running various parts of the same empire, that way learning the game would be easier since everyone would be focusing on one part at a time instead of trying to learn everything at once.

IE. One player playing as a fleet commander, while another plays a general, governor etc.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:26:30 am by lolwut99 »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2402 on: March 08, 2010, 01:28:10 am »

Rodney class Planetary Defence Centre    39150 tons     837 Crew     2301 BP      TCS 783  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 10-102     Sensors 1/400     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 40
Troop Capacity: 10 Battalions    Magazine 940   

PDC Size 1 Missile Launcher (40)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 5
Missile Fire Control FC0-R1 (10)     Range 720k km    Resolution 1
Size 1 Anti-missile Missile (950)  Speed: 18,000 km/s   End: 0.7m    Range: 0.8m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 204 / 122 / 61

PDC Active Sensor-1 (1)     GPS 400     Range 2.0m km    Resolution 1

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Planetary Defence Centre and can be pre-fabricated in 16 sections

This should be better :3

If your going to have space for 10 battalions you might as well go the whole way and up it to 21, space for a full division, or indeed what I normally do for PDC's on populated worlds and make it 25 to allow for a few replacement battalions as well.

Paul did an open office/excel spread sheet that will automatically calculate the best values to use in missile design for given tech here.

Anti-missiles will generally want to be size 1 strength 1 warheads. For anti ship roles make warheads square values, ie 4, 9, 16, 25, etc. This is because the damage template of missiles will penetrate a number of armour layers equal to the square root of their strength. Generally I keep anti-ship missiles in the size 4-8 range. Larger missiles can be effective, but I generally find the slow reload along with much more space required per launcher to outweigh any benefits most of the time.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: March 08, 2010, 02:24:45 am »

There's a very good benefit to having a huge missile.

If your opponent has created an exceptionally good missile defense system, the best way to defeat it would be to swarm it with missiles. Since missile launchers cannot be optimized for missiles with fraction sizes (size 0.3722 missile) whereas a multistage missile can, you can actually create a missile which seperates into a bloody huge number of micro missiles smaller than even your anti-missile missiles.

Unless that got fixed or something, then bugger that.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: March 08, 2010, 03:28:45 am »

There's a very good benefit to having a huge missile.

If your opponent has created an exceptionally good missile defense system, the best way to defeat it would be to swarm it with missiles. Since missile launchers cannot be optimized for missiles with fraction sizes (size 0.3722 missile) whereas a multistage missile can, you can actually create a missile which seperates into a bloody huge number of micro missiles smaller than even your anti-missile missiles.

Unless that got fixed or something, then bugger that.

I don't think it would get fixed, MIRVs should be intentional features - they exist in the real world, after all.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: March 08, 2010, 03:52:11 am »

Awesome.

It's also fun to see your multistage missiles split up. Can you imagine the face of your opponent when first he sees one big missile fly at him, then he targets it and fires his anti-missile. Just as the missile hits and there's a huge explosion while he cackles at his victory, 50 other missiles fly out of the smoke. Panicking, the opponent readies all guns and fires blindly but unfortunately, each missile merely breaks up into 20 more missiles each which then break out into 20 missiles each. As the swarm of 20,000 missiles are about to impact, they split into 20 more missiles each and destroy his ship not through explosive force, but kinetic impact of 400,000 mini missiles.

That's... probably not possible in the game.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: March 08, 2010, 06:21:31 am »

I wouldn't put my name down just yet because I'm still working out a few of the kinks but depending on how I go later on I might sign myself up. I'm interested to see how different people's strategies will be integrated into others. Just out of curiosity, what sort of house rules are there (e.g no SM mode, research directions)?

No SM mode, unless some horrible errors start occurring that requires it (happened in current Succession i have running once already)

I mean its Succession everyones gonna play their own way. Be the crazy dictator and build a giant expensive warfleet  that sucks all the money out or whatever, it adds to the fun :)

I hope we do a conventional start

and il join for shits and lulz :D
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: March 08, 2010, 09:41:33 am »

Hey, guys!  I've been working on the wiki.

You are awesome and your work is very much appreciated.

Also, random tidbit that should probably go in the wiki:  Apparently any sensor larger than 1 HS is military-only.  I read that in the forum, not the wiki.  Might be useful to put it there, too.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: March 08, 2010, 10:48:58 am »

Hey, guys!  I've been working on the wiki.

You are awesome and your work is very much appreciated.

Also, random tidbit that should probably go in the wiki:  Apparently any sensor larger than 1 HS is military-only.  I read that in the forum, not the wiki.  Might be useful to put it there, too.

Just checked this in-game. It is true for both passive and active sensors. I had an erroneous impression before your post that thermal are civilian and EM are military as it turned out only because I had never bothered to create a small EM sensor.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2409 on: March 08, 2010, 10:52:01 am »

This is an Amazing thread! I have just read it in about 3 days and used it to learn the game. Would like to help with the wiki so I thought what could I provide and all I know is how I made the windows work on my vista laptop. I used the SDesk and ResizeEnable programs. By themselves they do not work but if you use the SDesk to view the window that has the buttons cut off and a good bit of space at the bottom you can then resize it with ResizeEnable by first dragging it up a little then pulling down to the bottom of the screen. It will then have the missing buttons though its hit and miss whether you can understand the scrounched words because sometimes it adds extra space. Will provide screenshots maybe.

Oh and also
Curse you 3rd dimension! You have foiled me again!
Sigged!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: March 08, 2010, 11:13:43 am »

Yes second stage swarm missiles have been deemed by Steve to be overpowered. He will removed them if he hasn't already.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2411 on: March 08, 2010, 11:38:30 am »

Ah no million stage rockets anymore? honestly with the really high missile tech you could fit way to many missiles in a size 1 missile. also here's some screen shots in a spoiler with the how to.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:01:35 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: March 08, 2010, 12:31:33 pm »

Ah no million stage rockets anymore? honestly with the really high missile tech you could fit way to many missiles in a size 1 missile. also here's some screen shots in a spoiler with the how to.

Niiiiceeee.

I updated the Aurora wiki, Roughed in all of the Player Designed Systems areas.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:48:31 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: March 08, 2010, 12:48:45 pm »

??? >:( :( :P

I don't get it  :'(

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2414 on: March 08, 2010, 02:11:04 pm »

If your talking about my thing I found it on the aurora forum some where, basicly it uses SDesk's fake bigger resolution to allow you to use resizeenable to properly resize the window. normaly you would not be able to pull the window down far enough to allow the autoresize with buttons but the SDesk provides a larger window like the xp option only instead of autoscrolling when the mouse is at the edge you need to hold shift, control, and alt keys at the same time and press either the direction keys or the numpad keys 4, 8, 6, and 2 to scroll around.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 1347