Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814480 times)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2370 on: March 05, 2010, 04:27:10 pm »

Yes.

Keep in mind that current initiative is used. Everyone have 100 by default if you haven't changed it manually after assigning officers. I don't have a clue if fleets with same initiative move simultaneously or if the order is randomized or something else.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: March 05, 2010, 04:34:27 pm »

Yes.

Keep in mind that current initiative is used.

Yes, which means one should be able to change it on the fly while in the heat of battle, depending on what the circumstances call for.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: March 05, 2010, 06:23:58 pm »

Hmm. Question about active sensors: is resolution a linear thing? I mean, would a sensor geared towards 500-ton resolution be able to detect a 500-ton ship just as soon one geared for detecting 5000-ton ships at maximum range? I presume not (smaller should be faster): otherwise resolution as a stat would be worthless.

What's your experience?

PS: First missile frigate design!

Mirai class Missile Frigate    6150 tons     677 Crew     1050.96 BP      TCS 123  TH 360  EM 300
3902 km/s     Armour 4-29     Shields 10-375     Sensors 12/12/0/0     Damage Control Rating 5     PPV 36
Annual Failure Rate: 60%    IFR: 0.8%    Maint Capacity 534 MSP    Max Repair 50 MSP    Est Time: 5.44 Years
Magazine 270   

Magneto-plasma Drive E8 (6)    Power 80    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 200,000 Litres    Range 73.2 billion km   (217 days at full power)
Delta R375/20 Shields (4)   Total Fuel Cost  80 Litres per day

Size 6 Missile Launcher (6)    Missile Size 6    Rate of Fire 45
Missile Fire Control FC20-R35 (2)     Range 20.2m km    Resolution 35
Lanze ASM (45)  Speed: 20,000 km/s   End: 15.6m    Range: 18.7m km   WH: 10    Size: 6    TH: 173 / 104 / 52

Active Search Sensor MR19-R100 (1)     GPS 3200     Range 19.2m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH2-12 (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  12m km
EM Detection Sensor EM2-12 (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  12m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:44:49 pm by Greenbane »

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: March 05, 2010, 08:34:30 pm »

A few things on that design:

I think your fuel capacity is a bit low, 217 days isn't a great deal of time, especially if you're going to have the ship out patrolling or during TF training, given that you're going to have nearly 5 and a half years before needing maintenance supplies, you're going to be refueling about 6 times for every supply pickup. Unless you are going to have the ship in areas where fuel is common but supplies aren't it's a bit of a waste of supply capacity.

Your ship has no defenses. At all. 4 Layers of armor and 4 Delta shields will give you very little protection, a couple of missiles will probably destroy or disable the ship, I'd either add some CIWS or P.D. energy weapons (perhaps trade missile launchers).

Your missile fire control outranges your active sensor by nearly a million kilometers. On top of that, the active sensor is resolution 100, which is normally better used in long range scanners as you wont be able to detect (and therefore target) smaller ships until they are right on top of you. I'd say you are better off having a lower resolution sensor on this ship but having another ship with a long range, high res scanner.

Other than that it's a nice design.

Also: with regards to the point defense wiki page, I have looked at it, and you have covered the DESIGN of the 3 layered point defense, but I'm talking about actually setting them up for optimal coverage (e.g. ratio of AMM/weapons : fire control, some examples of good mixes of point defense mode and range).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:36:45 pm by muwahahaha »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: March 05, 2010, 08:43:35 pm »

This is a dedicated missile warship. The core of the squadron's detection capabilities will be provided by vastly larger sensors on a dedicated SWACS-like vessel. Point-defense will be handled by multirole beam frigates (like a somewhat upgraded version of the Cossack-II shown earlier). I presently don't see the need to increase the fuel storage.

As for protection, I'm not sure yet. I don't have much experience with shields, nor have I encountered spacefaring aliens other than the notorious Star Spawn to be in any kind of arms race.

narskie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: March 05, 2010, 10:39:23 pm »

I've tried to get into this, but so far it's been a struggle (although DF was too).  I like complexity but I feel like this game goes a shade too far.  Like the research, for example.  First you research a new type of laser (say 12 cm) but then you have to set up the "practical application" project like a 12 cm with blah turret and blah range to be researched and then finally you have to design a ship with said practical applications attached and hope that you made the right choices when hijinks ensue.  Eventually I feel overwhelmed, especially since research isn't the only complex thing about this game.

I think more should be automated, like in MOO3 with the dev plans, but allow the player to intervene at various points to make appropriate changes.  Just some hopefully constructive criticism.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2376 on: March 05, 2010, 11:12:21 pm »

On that note, I'd actually enjoy a game designed around a realistic empire sim where you're not some all-powerful omniscient force but are instead an emperor/leader/etc. You must ride the tide of public opinion, let the civilian sector have its way sometimes, etc. Aurora takes a step in this direction but corporations should have more power and should assert their opinions, asking for favors from the government and influencing officers or politicians.

It should feel like you're riding a wild stallion, trying to cope with civilian demands, corporate requirements, and military necessity. Aurora is too controlled and logical, with very little unexpected happening. You could even have changes of office, where you take control of the new emperor/president/military governer or have your children step in to power.

Hell in such a game it would be possible to start out as the governer of a small outlying world and lead a rebellion against the main imperium, or to play the other side and brutally suppress said rebellion.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: March 05, 2010, 11:49:39 pm »

*snip*
In short: TG with initiative 100 moves->TG with initiative 110 looks where to move per its orders and moves->both of them fire if able.
*snip*

That explains alot now that I think of it.  Thanks for the correction.  Maybe now that I know more about it I'll try to bend it to my advantage.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2378 on: March 06, 2010, 12:07:10 am »

Does anyone have any more information on precursor ruins? I was thinking of doing a page about exploiting them. It's simple enough but may not be obvious to new players.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: March 06, 2010, 12:14:09 am »

I don't know what we all know about them already. 

I know you stick a xenology team on the planet until they finish what they were doing, then you stick some engineers there to salvage the stuff, which is anything from stockpiles of minerals or fuel, to generally high tech ship parts that you could build into a ship design, to installations.  If you have a populated colony on a planet that has ruins the civvy ships will trade ancient artifact trade goods.

Thats what I know for sure.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2380 on: March 06, 2010, 12:55:13 am »

But do the ruins generate alien objects after they've been exploited? or do you need to leave them as ruins?

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: March 06, 2010, 08:47:57 am »

Ruins wiki page is up.

Going to do a Wiki page on Fleet Initiative with your info provided.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: March 06, 2010, 08:53:08 am »

Also: with regards to the point defense wiki page, I have looked at it, and you have covered the DESIGN of the 3 layered point defense, but I'm talking about actually setting them up for optimal coverage (e.g. ratio of AMM/weapons : fire control, some examples of good mixes of point defense mode and range).

Thank you for the feedback, ill try to set up some form of average PD set up.

ETA-

Please check the Point Defense page now if thats what your looking for. ill put up example ship designs for Point Defense.

This goes for everyone please peruse and let me know what is fucked with the wiki so far and not. this weekend is WIKI EDIT DAYS.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:14:35 am by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: March 06, 2010, 09:26:38 am »

Missile wiki page up gotta fill her in now.

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Missiles

Leaders wiki page is up as well now.

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Leaders
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:52:24 am by Journier »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: March 06, 2010, 09:53:39 am »

Anyone who knows how to set up Diplomacy with another race and work towards being friendly,  please post a walk through here for me , so i can edit and throw it onto the diplomacy page.

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 1347