Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814573 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2340 on: March 04, 2010, 12:11:58 pm »

Had to uninstall this because for some reason my monitor only goes up to 1024x768* and every single thing I tried to get it to work failed spectacularly.

*Which is odd, since I'm pretty sure my graphics card goes up higher than that, and I know I've seen my monitor have a higher setting on an older computer. As a matter of fact, the piece of crap software that the install disc for my graphics card says it can go up to 1920x1080.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: March 04, 2010, 12:22:09 pm »

I think the PPV for planets only counts for ships, and i think that all planets in a sytem get PPV from any ship in the same system.

Ground forces however do stop unrest but don't give PPV, i'm guessing because a ground fight protects the planet, but bombarding it with missiles doesn't.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: March 04, 2010, 05:36:15 pm »

And just how big are your sensors? :o

Active Search Sensor S3600-R20 (1)     GPS 72000     Range 720.0m km    Resolution 20
Active Search Sensor S9000-R45 (1)     GPS 405000     Range 4,050.0m km    Resolution 45
Active Search Sensor S3600-R40 (1)     GPS 144000     Range 1,440.0m km    Resolution 40
Thermal Sensor TH50-3750 (10%) (1)     Sensitivity 3750     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  3750m km
EM Detection Sensor EM50-3750 (10%) (1)     Sensitivity 3750     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  3750m km

Anyway, turning cease fire on doesn't help either, SM view tells me there is a missile interception chance for missiles that are more then 50 mil/km from anything away (I got above sensors quite close, checking everything and the NPR I am finishing off only has these two ships left...)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: March 04, 2010, 06:14:08 pm »

Hmm. Must be a lot for the game to process, considering the resolution and VAST ranges. Do you need your sensors that big? Your weapon ranges can't possibly be anywhere near those figures. :o

Still, I'd post on the official forums, so that Steve can at least consider updating detection stuff so that the process doesn't overflow when confronted with such huge numbers.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:15:40 pm by Greenbane »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: March 04, 2010, 06:44:08 pm »

Active Search Sensor S3600-R40 (1)     GPS 144000     Range 1,440.0m km    Resolution 40

WTH!?!?!?!??!?!!? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Exactly how wide is the Sol system?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: March 04, 2010, 07:01:26 pm »

Drones with up to 1 billion km that bring a 2end stage up to 360 mil km :3?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: March 04, 2010, 07:36:26 pm »

Yea for something like a surveillance outpost or something 1.5 billion actually doesn't seem like a crazy amount to me.  Especially at 40 res. The NPRs that I saw so far never had a survey ship larger than 2000 tons.

I can't really think of a good example, but when yer looking at a whole system 1.5 billion km isn't a lot of coverage.  Especially when it won't see many of the first scout and survey ships.

*after looking* I.5 Billion km is a little more than the distance to saturn from the sun.  I guesstimate only enough to see half of sol.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: March 04, 2010, 10:10:21 pm »

I still need WIKI page idea's..... cmon guys :(

I think i covered the basics.

heres my next list of secondary topics. which really seem slightly useless.

Cargo Transports
(how to use) (what they can do)
Colony Transports
(same as above)

Fleet composition???
(sensor ships, etc??)

Fighters???

Combat?? <--- maybe most important of my list. Simple walk through of combat assignment screen.

Gunboats??

Tugs<--- maybe 2nd most important page to do behind combat.

Task Force joining and dividing---

Guys help me out here  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: March 05, 2010, 12:00:11 am »

I think some of the weapon explanations are blank.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: March 05, 2010, 01:41:38 am »

Yeah, the player designed systems page has a few empty things like mesons, railguns, cloaking devices.

Other than that, I would like to see a [space] combat page giving hints on how to properly set up things like multi-layered point defense (AMM - Area P.D. - F.D.F P.D - CIWS) as well as some tactics.

On another note, I've started shifting the majority of my production base into nearby Tau Ceti which has several high - superhigh mineral worlds and a couple of viable terraform spots. However I'm curious as to how everyone else handles this, do you have a handful of production centres throughout the empire that get shipped minerals from nearby and pump out ships and facilities or do you try and even out the workload among as many systems as possible?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2350 on: March 05, 2010, 01:48:15 am »

Personally I establish local collection points in each system where all mined minerals are shipped via mineral packet and then I set up automated shipping between those collection points and the nearest manufacturing center. I usually base all of my production on worlds with very low colony cost, or I just ship it all back to Earth depending on what I find. I don't try to even out the workload though, I establish specific manufacturing nodes.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: March 05, 2010, 07:29:12 am »

Not that I've yet got to a point where I have a serious extrasolar production, but I'd also prefer to establish specialized production centres.
I think based mainly on available minerals initially, then set up shipping of needed minerals as they run out.

Secondary consideration, but increasing as empire grows, is reduction of logistics. i.e. Set up forward production bases of expendables (fuel/supplies/ammo).
For a fledgling empire the costs of moving production away from home does not outweigh the cost of bringing in minerals....yet. But this may vary depending on mineral density in homesystem and immediate surroundings.

Mainly, minerals are to be mined by automine and sent by rail to a central location for shipping or manufacture.

----
@journier:
Are the various teams and their use covered?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:39:30 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: March 05, 2010, 07:42:53 am »

----
@journier:
Are the various teams and their use covered?

negatory, i put up a page about espionage, i guess  I should cover teams.

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: March 05, 2010, 07:44:05 am »

Yeah, the player designed systems page has a few empty things like mesons, railguns, cloaking devices.

Other than that, I would like to see a [space] combat page giving hints on how to properly set up things like multi-layered point defense (AMM - Area P.D. - F.D.F P.D - CIWS) as well as some tactics.

You did look at my updated Point Defense page right? I have 3 missile designs, 3 turret designs.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: March 05, 2010, 07:52:55 am »

I still need WIKI page idea's..... cmon guys :(

A topic on geology would be nice. Mineral generation on different bodies and geology teams. Bonus points for DF origin.

A topic on fleet training and crew training.

Can anyone explain how to order your fleet to try to keep distance at exactly x tens thousand km from a hostile contact? I know that same thing can be done for your own Task Groups with Default/Conditional order of Protect Threat Axis.

Edit: ninjaed by 3 posts.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 1347