Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814787 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2295 on: March 03, 2010, 01:47:58 pm »

Okay, I'm about to enter my first battle, but I think there might be a problem:

That's a fuckton of fighters chasing after two of my frigate squadrons. The thermal passive sensors detected them when they were about 2 million km away, but the actives still haven't picked them up! All 6 frigates have had them on for a while, and those sensors allegedly have a range of 19.2 million km and a resolution of 100. So what's wrong? When are they supposed to be picked up? Or did I forget something critical and I should consider those frigates lost due to my own ineptitude? :-\

Resolution 100 is 5000 tons... unless you meant 100 tons.

a fighter is gonna be alot less than that.

SO thats why they havent detected them yet, they will eventually though... if they are like 200 ton fighters they will detect them at like 1/25th of your max sensor range. 5000/200

eta- thats the star swarm i think...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:50:59 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: March 03, 2010, 02:58:54 pm »

Yea definately star swarm.  Those suckers are pretty small, around 800 tons I think but they pack mesons and are miniature Sonic the Roadrunner Gonzales. 

If your active sensor resolution is set to a higher tonnage than what you are trying to detect(800 tons in this case), your sensor won't detect them until they are right up on top of ya.  Fortunately for you, since they use mesons they also won't be in range until they are right on top of you, so it could still work out.  At any rate though, I would abandon all operations in that system as fast as you can and invest in some internal armor while keeping a really close eye on the jump point into the system. Their mom is BIG. 
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: March 03, 2010, 03:03:35 pm »

Yea definately star swarm.  Those suckers are pretty small, around 800 tons I think but they pack mesons and are miniature Sonic the Roadrunner Gonzales. 

If your active sensor resolution is set to a higher tonnage than what you are trying to detect(800 tons in this case), your sensor won't detect them until they are right up on top of ya.  Fortunately for you, since they use mesons they also won't be in range until they are right on top of you, so it could still work out.  At any rate though, I would abandon all operations in that system as fast as you can and invest in some internal armor while keeping a really close eye on the jump point into the system. Their mom is BIG. 

heh

Thats one big bitch.

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: March 03, 2010, 03:33:13 pm »

Yes, the Cygnian Aggressors, as I called them, sound like what you describe. All six frigates plus the two jumpships were lost. This is the information I could gather from the two disastrous encounters with their fighters/gunboats:

Mass:
800 tons
TH: 160
Speed: 10000 km/s
Armour: 3
Weapons: 1x Meson Cannon (Damage 1, Rate of Fire 1, Range Modifier 12, Observed Range 102,500 km)
Sensors: S28/R1 (Strength 28, Resolution 1, Max Range 0.3 million km, GPS 28)

So higher resolution is actually less detail. Wow, now that's counter-intuitive.

I detected the mothership sometime before encountering the mass of gunboats. It had an obscenely-large active sensor on, with a range of 336 million kilometres.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:47:52 pm by Greenbane »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: March 03, 2010, 03:53:20 pm »

Fun Fact:
That obscenely large active sensor actually only takes up 1% of the total hull size.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: March 03, 2010, 03:55:40 pm »

336m km isn't a large range, at least for a high res sensor. My current gen of sensor ships has a long range scanner that goes out somewhere like 1.2b km with 300 res (28 Grav sens, 11 EM sens). Granted, it isn't very useful for combat but if there is a massive ship in the system I'm able to pick them up from the jump point.

Also, I just encountered my first NPR in this game. Precursors. There goes my hope for having peaceful relations close to home. On top of that I only just started building my next generation of ships and my homeworld is out of duranium (as well as several other resources that have been MD'ed in) and my colonies cant shoot the packets over fast enough for the shipyards. Thankfully one of my neighboring systems is chockers with resources so once I start shipping over construction factories I'll have a good production centre.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone having trouble with making new task forces? Since the last 2 patches I haven't been able to assign ships to new task forces. I click the dropdown and select the new task force, but as soon as I go back into the menu, it's reverted to the old one. Its not really a problem at the moment since I don't have a great deal of TGs but once I start expanding further its gonna be a hassle trying to train military ships

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: March 03, 2010, 04:58:27 pm »

Area defense occurs during the normal weapons fire segment while final defense occurs during the movement segment when the missile(s) should intercept their target. If the missile can cross the engagement range of a PD beam during a single movement then it will not be engaged.

Yea, guess my speculation is a very round-about way of saying the same thing you just said here.

@Greiger: Didn't we establish that internal armour doesn't work against Meson? 
In summary... a quote from the Aurora forums along the lines of: "If internal armour stopped Meson fire, I'd plaster that stuff all over my hull."
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:07:38 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: March 03, 2010, 06:08:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure we established that internal armor DOES work on mesons. I think it is in the aurora forums.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: March 03, 2010, 07:14:41 pm »

Area defense occurs during the normal weapons fire segment while final defense occurs during the movement segment when the missile(s) should intercept their target. If the missile can cross the engagement range of a PD beam during a single movement then it will not be engaged.

Yea, guess my speculation is a very round-about way of saying the same thing you just said here.

In summary... a quote from the Aurora forums along the lines of: "If internal armour stopped Meson fire, I'd plaster that stuff all over my hull."

its quoted from a well known player....  :D :D :D

someone find the answer!!!!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: March 03, 2010, 07:24:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure we established that internal armor DOES work on mesons. I think it is in the aurora forums.
Meson Overpowered Thread

Unless there is another discussion about it that I missed?

EDIT: Hell, I'd plaster that stuff all over my hulls too if it did.
Just out of curiosity, is anyone having trouble with making new task forces? Since the last 2 patches I haven't been able to assign ships to new task forces. I click the dropdown and select the new task force, but as soon as I go back into the menu, it's reverted to the old one. Its not really a problem at the moment since I don't have a great deal of TGs but once I start expanding further its gonna be a hassle trying to train military ships

Precursors don't expand and populate.  But they exterminate.

I never had problems.  You are doing this in the Task Force screen? 

Create New TG, Rename TG, Delete TG at the bottom left.

You can transfer ships from the 2nd tab from the left.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:36:48 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2305 on: March 03, 2010, 07:41:33 pm »

You should also be able to do it from the task group window, by changing the task force in the dropdown but it doesn't save your changes.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: March 03, 2010, 08:06:30 pm »

You should also be able to do it from the task group window, by changing the task force in the dropdown but it doesn't save your changes.

I've only ever bothered to do it in the Task Force screen(the one where you give your Task Groups orders...)  It hasn't caused me any trouble.

You folks can bring that problem up as a bug on the Aurora forums.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: March 03, 2010, 08:26:56 pm »

its quoted from a well known player....  :D :D :D

someone find the answer!!!!

Well sloanjh posted that internal armor blocked it but it seems that post was deleted. Steve seems to say that internal doesn't work though. Guess it doesn't.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: March 03, 2010, 09:10:47 pm »

What? There's no consensus even about meson counters? >:(

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: March 03, 2010, 09:11:59 pm »

I wanted to play this, but my monitor only goes up to 1024x768. The wiki mentions means to get around it, but the program they suggested, 360desktop, doesn't help all that much. Does anyone have any ideas, or a free(read: FREE) program that'll do it?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 1347