Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814781 times)

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2265 on: March 02, 2010, 05:19:05 pm »

You both sound like your being attacked by the swarm.
Is my avatar sexy?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: March 02, 2010, 05:29:19 pm »

It's like you guys don't read the posts here save your own. :P This makes this the... what? 7th OMGWTFSWARM post including mine.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: March 02, 2010, 05:31:38 pm »

@Journier, what resolution is your active sensor?  And you are saying your thermal sensor and EM sensor are not working?

@Greenbane, its possible that you were never detected by the NPR.... in any shape or form.  Ground troops probably can't detect spaceships. 
As for ground combat...  well there is probably nothing implemented to distinguish human troops and random alien troops....  and no way to phone home? 
It can be explained rationally. 
Ships, PDCs and the deep space scanner can be said to have built in comms/relays to send information from massive distances.... while ground troops don't carry around something powerful enough to even reach more then 1,000km distance...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: March 02, 2010, 05:41:25 pm »

@Journier, what resolution is your active sensor?  And you are saying your thermal sensor and EM sensor are not working?

@Greenbane, its possible that you were never detected by the NPR.... in any shape or form.  Ground troops probably can't detect spaceships. 
As for ground combat...  well there is probably nothing implemented to distinguish human troops and random alien troops....  and no way to phone home? 
It can be explained rationally. 
Ships, PDCs and the deep space scanner can be said to have built in comms/relays to send information from massive distances.... while ground troops don't carry around something powerful enough to even reach more then 1,000km distance...

my resolution for active is for 1000 tons of ship, it was possibly at the 3rd or 4th tech level for sensitivity.

My EM is not detecting their ships, and my Thermal is not detecting their ships... and they are in firing distance, which is insane.

That fleet, IS GONE.

all my heavy ships got battered into oblivion and had no way of stopping the attackers since none of my sensors could even see the damn things.

Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: March 02, 2010, 05:59:30 pm »

Well, even if you have Thermal and EM sight on them, you can't aim and shoot at them. 

Need an AS that sees them for that....  Odd though, you should have been able to see them since they are up in your face... and your AS was on right? 
You have/had resolution 0 AS?  Should be a default for missile detection... Those would have detected the enemy for sure.

Were you checking the combat screen? or the system map?
Combat screen, you have to click on a different ship for list of targets to update.

Sometimes, the system map doesn't show any hostile ships and needs to be restarted.  At least thats what I found during my last encounter...  Aurora autosaves, so no harm in that.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: March 02, 2010, 06:00:18 pm »

I really want to like this game.  It has a lot of apparent depth.  But the interface is terrible.

Spoiler: Mindless ranting... (click to show/hide)

Anyway, I really want to like Aurora.  It's just too unwieldy for me right now.  The interface is complex, the controls are numerous, and the game requires so much micromanagement that it is often tedious and managing even a small empire for a single "cycle" (not sure what else to call that 5-day increment) can take a lot of real time.

It probably wouldn't hurt to make some suggestions on the official forum, but I suspect my concerns have already been covered by other suggestions.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: March 02, 2010, 06:06:54 pm »

How is it complex?

Usually you only have to look at some screens only once when starting the game.

And while the game is running only at a few of them when something happens.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: March 02, 2010, 06:23:57 pm »

Designing components and ships is part of the game's charm.

But yeah, where the hell can I design fighters? Perhaps I haven't researched the necessary technologies, or else it'd appear in the standard ship design screen, along with normal vessels and PDCs.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: March 02, 2010, 06:35:29 pm »

Designing components and ships is part of the game's charm.

But yeah, where the hell can I design fighters? Perhaps I haven't researched the necessary technologies, or else it'd appear in the standard ship design screen, along with normal vessels and PDCs.

You research specific Fighter engines for it in Engines and Propulsions.  After researching Fast Attack Craft Engine.  (No clue what goes before FAC Engine right now...)

The RP cost is 12,000.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: March 02, 2010, 09:32:13 pm »

Also in order for the ship to be classified as a fighter you need to remove the bridge have a fighter engine on it, and the ship must be under 500 tons.

You can actually put any ship into a hangar that is big enough to fit it, but fighters have a couple handy streamlining systems for them, and use planetary fighter production instead of shipyards.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: March 02, 2010, 11:00:23 pm »

Thanks for the info, guys.

Another thing, though: do missiles generally move in stacks or separately? I need to get confirmation whether it's one or the other. Each of the fighters that swarmed the Magellan appeared to be separate entities, though that may've changed if I had managed to turn on the active sensors. My whole point-defense philosophy relies in small targets like fighters and missiles travelling in stacks. Can't send in the frigates (once I have a couple of jump tenders ready) if each enemy fighter is stand-alone, making it a targeting hell.

Also, somewhat unrelated, can fighters operate independently and transport teams and/or individual officers, as private shuttles or something?

EDIT: Apparently, missile salvos are a complicated matter, and it's hard to find consensus as to how they work, exactly. I gathered missiles form a salvo with their identical peers (same location, same speed, same direction) as long as they were fired in the same 5-second phase. No luck gathering information about fighter travel behaviours yet, though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:22:03 pm by Greenbane »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: March 02, 2010, 11:29:24 pm »

My new command and control ship which i designed with higher sensors detects the aliens now :/

Also I got to mess with ground combat a bit more and I used my Suicide class shuttles for the first time... after figuring out how to load infantry onto them then get them to go after a planet ^_^

I am going to make wiki page on Ground Combat and boarding.... probably..
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:31:02 pm by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: March 02, 2010, 11:36:30 pm »

There's a topic about that on the Aurora forums. In it, Steve explains most things about ground combat and boarding actions, as per recent changes. But he doesn't mention how stuff like engineer and replacement units work.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: March 02, 2010, 11:38:28 pm »

There's a topic about that on the Aurora forums. In it, Steve explains most things about ground combat and boarding actions, as per recent changes. But he doesn't mention how stuff like engineer and replacement units work.

know all about that, still noone explains the exact details on how to invade a planet, set up shuttles to carry drop troops to board a enemy ship...

The whole issue with Aurora is we have to wander blind and figure out the game when we are new and that loses like 95% of the players im sure.

All these operations in the game,  need explanation hopefully clear and concise for new players. Steve seems to give a brief and some detail as to the numbers behind it all but fuck if I know how to use it after i read his mechanics writeup.

Also... aurora website is down...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:44:48 pm by Journier »

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: March 02, 2010, 11:42:27 pm »

As far as missile salvos go, from what I've seen they will only form salvos if they are the same type of missile and launched from the same ship. I've seen ships firing multiple types of missile into different salvos and groups of ships firing the same missile into multiple salvos (one from each ship).
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1347