Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815321 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2130 on: February 26, 2010, 03:15:21 pm »

Did you have an individual fire control for every laser? 1 fire control for 4 lasers will still only destroy 1 missile at a time.

You need one fire control per laser to engage multiple targets (in this case, missiles) simultaneously? :-\

And how do multi-barreled weapons affect this? And how do CIWS behave, in comparison?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:17:03 pm by Greenbane »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2131 on: February 26, 2010, 03:32:52 pm »

Did you have an individual fire control for every laser? 1 fire control for 4 lasers will still only destroy 1 missile at a time.

You need one fire control per laser to engage multiple targets (in this case, missiles) simultaneously? :-\

And how do multi-barreled weapons affect this? And how do CIWS behave, in comparison?
I believe you need multiple fire controls to engage multiple flights of missiles, but a single fire control linked to a multiple weapon system in a turret should still engage several missiles in a single missile flight, correct?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: February 26, 2010, 03:41:05 pm »

ECM: 1 Per ship  No Stacking....  Else a lot of players would have 150%-200% ECM by default... >.>

ECCM: 1 Per Fire Control  (If you have long-ish weapon recharge(RoF) and have a hankering for micro-managing... you can probably use 1 or 2 ECCMs per whatever fire controls...)

Easy Example: Beam weapons with RoF 10 seconds, 2 Fire Controls and 1 ECCM
Each turn is 5 seconds

Turn 1: Weapons charge
Turn 2: Both weapons fully charge, Place ECCM on FC#1, Fire FC#1, FC#2 does nothing
Turn 3: Place ECCM on FC#2, Fire FC#2, BW on FC#1 is charging
Turn 4: Place ECCM on FC#1, Fire FC#1, BW on FC#2 is charging
and so on...

At least you don't have to do it for every ship since you can macro change it all.  Only problem is that you don't fire all weapons asap.

Could be varied for all other RoFs and number of FC as needed.
If I ever used this tactic...  I'd probably use weapons with varied and 15 second or more RoF, only sometimes would you not be able to put the ECCM on both weapons.  So you could still fire anyways or wait, depending if enemy has ECM or not....

ECCM means jack if the enemy does not use ECM, just so you know.  All it is... is a counter measure against ECM, nothing more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zapp Brannigan Maneuver

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I believe you need multiple fire controls to engage multiple flights of missiles, but a single fire control linked to a multiple weapon system in a turret should still engage several missiles in a single missile flight, correct?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
No, turrets don't fire on different targets.  Use of double/tri/quad turrets are more along the lines of shoot a lot at 1 target... 

CIWS... eh, I never used em...  or seen em in missile combat... phased that stuff out pretty quickly.  My logic would say no though.  1 CIWS per missile per turn.

Fact: CIWS don't need Fire Controls, they are automated and have a built in FC.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2133 on: February 26, 2010, 04:13:46 pm »

No, turrets don't fire on different targets.  Use of double/tri/quad turrets are more along the lines of shoot a lot at 1 target...
Really? It's been my experience that a quad-laser turret can take out 4 missiles in a single volley assuming all four hit. Have you tested this, or are you repeating something you read or assumed?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: February 26, 2010, 04:20:45 pm »

I'm not quite sure how turrets work, but if you think about it, how is a 4 barrel turret suppose to aim all 4 barrels in different directions? I do think however the rate of fire goes up, which leads to more missile blasting.

And yes you need fire controls for each weapon if you want them to target different missiles. 1 fire control can target one missile until it's destroyed. With anti missiles however, you may be able to change the target of the FC in between shots.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: February 26, 2010, 04:40:33 pm »

Really? It's been my experience that a quad-laser turret can take out 4 missiles in a single volley assuming all four hit. Have you tested this, or are you repeating something you read or assumed?
Eh, its mostly assumption that it works the same way on missiles.
My quad turrets never fired on more then 1 ship per turn, even if that ship got destroyed by the 1st or 2nd shot by the turret.

Havn't played for awhile, so have never come up on turret vs missile situation since I avoided Precursors like the plague...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: February 26, 2010, 05:03:37 pm »

I am almost positive a single turret can hit multiple missiles I would bet my left hand on it.  It just can't hit missiles from diffrent salvos.  I could swear it happened.  I just don't have a log proving it handy.   I mean, whats the point of multibarrel PD turrets if they can't?

Look at missiles in your ship targeting lists next time you get a chance.  You will see each salvo of x number of missiles listed as a single target.  If a fire control targets that salvo each individual gun of each turret will hit a different missile in the targeted salvo. 
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: February 26, 2010, 05:07:10 pm »

Hmmm, i wonder if a turret can dot he same for a task group? Since they are all int he same place.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: February 26, 2010, 05:13:13 pm »

I am almost positive a single turret can hit multiple missiles I would bet my left hand on it.  It just can't hit missiles from diffrent salvos.  I could swear it happened.  I just don't have a log proving it handy.   I mean, whats the point of multibarrel PD turrets if they can't?

Look at missiles in your ship targeting lists next time you get a chance.  You will see each salvo of x number of missiles listed as a single target.  If a fire control targets that salvo each individual gun of each turret will hit a different missile in the targeted salvo. 
Game/mechanic logic; if missiles are grouped together in a salvo as 1 target you can pick out instead of all missiles being individual targets... then yes, a turret would fire on more then 1 missile within that salvo, if it can.

And yea, thats an assumption.  Favouring the idea that Steve implemented missiles salvos for turret/multi-shot targeting.
Hmmm, i wonder if a turret can dot he same for a task group? Since they are all int he same place.
If the Task Group is a target that you can select with your fire controls....

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2139 on: February 26, 2010, 05:25:36 pm »

I'm not quite sure how turrets work, but if you think about it, how is a 4 barrel turret suppose to aim all 4 barrels in different directions? I do think however the rate of fire goes up, which leads to more missile blasting.
Why does a laser turret need a 'barrel'? and why can't each 'barrel' be on a slight gimbal mount to allow 1 or 2 degrees of correction? If all of the missiles are in roughly the same spot (Salvo) at that distance it would only take a slight correction to target different ones.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: February 26, 2010, 07:31:19 pm »

Laser 'barrels' are lenses. Like this:

;D

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: February 26, 2010, 07:37:12 pm »

As long as the missiles are in a single volley It should work. a quad laser turret has a chance to take out 4 missiles.

I read this on the forum somewhere...... maybe a tutorial.

Did anyone even look at my ships I designed :( lol 2 pages back or so.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:42:28 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2142 on: February 26, 2010, 07:46:12 pm »

Laser 'barrels' are lenses. Like this:

;D
Exactly. And a slight angling of the lens should allow the laser to target independently.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: February 26, 2010, 08:37:00 pm »

the Empire is growing.

I now has 12 colonies across 4 systems.

the last 3 have been privately supported by the civilian merchant fleet, bringing tourists and trade goods to the planets.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2144 on: February 26, 2010, 08:38:17 pm »

Found my first precursor ruin. After 6 years a xenology team deciphered it and I was able to reactivate 3 mines, a commercial spaceport, and a fuel refinery with my engineering brigade.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 1347