Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815443 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2070 on: February 25, 2010, 08:46:00 am »

Hey I figured there is 4x28, so I used the cloest power design i had to that.

Thanks a lot for the input!

What are the upsides of using a turret instead of just the weapon? I guess that it acts on its own and one can target more then one thing?

I'm out of wealth atm so can't produce, BUT i killed my first enemy :D :D :D

Sure, it was just 1200 tons and mine was 10 000 tons of raw firepower, but still! FIRST BLOOD!

Thanks for the input, I'll change it.

for a quick check on power requirements look on the left side of the ship design screen, it will show you how much power your ship needs.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: February 25, 2010, 08:50:11 am »

The only benefits of turrets that I know of are that it's cheaper to mount more things on a turret than to do it individually...

i.e: it costs more to have 2 individual mesons than one double-barrelled meson turret.

... and that it's better for point defense, as turning speed adds to the ability to shoot down stuff.

I think a good size range for cruisers is 6000 tonnes. I'm a bit worried about your 10k tonne cruiser. It's again more efficient to have one dedicated jump ship to carry craft around (though I'm in the school of thought where it's better to just build the goddamn jump gate everywhere) than having jump engines on everything. Maybe it's a roleplaying thing for you though.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: February 25, 2010, 09:33:18 am »

The only benefits of turrets that I know of are that it's cheaper to mount more things on a turret than to do it individually...

i.e: it costs more to have 2 individual mesons than one double-barrelled meson turret.

... and that it's better for point defense, as turning speed adds to the ability to shoot down stuff.

I think a good size range for cruisers is 6000 tonnes. I'm a bit worried about your 10k tonne cruiser. It's again more efficient to have one dedicated jump ship to carry craft around (though I'm in the school of thought where it's better to just build the goddamn jump gate everywhere) than having jump engines on everything. Maybe it's a roleplaying thing for you though.

This is another thing, I dont even use jump drives on my military ships 95% of the time, just to do a scout once in a while. I build jump gates, jump to other side build jumpgate on that side then send military through to check system for hostiles.

It works out decently as in out of 3 games ive played for a week or so before quitting due to errors or new release version I never had a problem with it.

Jump drives on every military ship is incredibly wasteful in hullsize :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:34:53 am by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: February 25, 2010, 09:43:32 am »

I thought they are needed actually... my space jump-gating knowlage is not up to date it seems...

After messing around with some scouts I finally found a real enemy army...

50x 800 tons ship...

fml.

A templar and crusader got caught by suprise (how they slipped past all my sensors is a mystery for me) so the range advantage was gone... and the templar lost his targeting system first, so it was useless quickly *lesson learned*

The crusader however is holding up quite well, getting pounded by 50 ships and I'm forced to just shot tiny vollys of missles at one at a time and have my guns annoy the other ships a little with 1 dmg spam... at least more of them went down then of mine so far...

Defently need something with more guns :P

Oh also *lesson learned* my armor is fine and fat and massiv... but still everything inside the ship is dieing horrible.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:45:13 am by ThtblovesDF »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: February 25, 2010, 09:44:07 am »

It is not fun when a jump drive fails and need maintenance :(

And that battle earlier......how is an 11 damage missile with 60000 speed at size 5 low tech? That's the missile i wish i could make.

Also under the ships menu, there should be a tab that shows a bunch of small boxes grouped together. That is your armor. A missile doing 6 damage would make a crater shaped hole in hat armor. I don't know if the squares disappear of damaged.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: February 25, 2010, 09:46:50 am »

It is not fun when a jump drive fails and need maintenance :(

And that battle earlier......how is an 11 damage missile with 60000 speed at size 5 low tech? That's the missile i wish i could make.

Also under the ships menu, there should be a tab that shows a bunch of small boxes grouped together. That is your armor. A missile doing 6 damage would make a crater shaped hole in hat armor. I don't know if the squares disappear of damaged.

The armor turns red in spots it gets damaged, it shows a crater of red. Did i say low tech? i meant mid tech ^_^ i assume the missile was like 1 point in warhead or 1.5 the rest in engines, but we may never know.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:48:31 am by Journier »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: February 25, 2010, 09:55:27 am »

ThtblovesDF: those are mesons from the space swarm. That's probably the only enemy you will ever fight that uses mesons exclusively. The only things that stop mesons are bigger guns and internal armor (not external). Also, they travel with a mothership someplace. You'll know it when you see it. Again, it only uses mesons. Also, some comets in the system have space swarms clinging onto them... for some reason...

Also, if you don't kill them fast enough, they'll come to you.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: February 25, 2010, 10:15:56 am »

Those ships are very high tech, how did you get all that?

But my only suggestion is to lose the jump drives and just have a single jump tender. Since I'm sure now you can send as many ships as you like via normal transit with just one jump drive.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: February 25, 2010, 11:10:30 am »

I still have trouble beliveing a size one warhead doing 11 damage is mid tech  :-\

I knew internal armor blocks mesons  ;D

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: February 25, 2010, 11:37:23 am »

I still have trouble beliveing a size one warhead doing 11 damage is mid tech  :-\

I knew internal armor blocks mesons  ;D

In Aurora... tech classifications need to be more then just start, low, mid, high, and very high....

I prefer RP point range... but thats me...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: February 25, 2010, 11:40:55 am »

I'm still learning the ropes, myself, but I'm a bit concerned about the frequent-but-not-so-frequent mention of errors, even to the point of screwing up entire games. What's your experience, guys?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:42:26 am by Greenbane »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: February 25, 2010, 12:42:33 pm »

I've had very little errors for some time now.
There have been a few, but no big issues.
Bughunting is fun. :)

Avoid giving impossible orders or those that will have completion
times near infinite, the game is not designed solid enough yet that every conflicting order is caught and handled neatly. Some may consider such 'user errors', but Steve has been quite effective in fixing such minor bugs when I mentioned them so far.

The installation is quite ad-hoc as well;
-an ancient installer exe to add some dll's and create the directory etc,
-then an archive (containing the exe, dbs and art) which has to be extracted manually.
-Then there are the updates that have to be manually extracted/copied on top.
Required system settings that have to be set manually:
-set decimal point ect to english (ie 1,000.00 for one thousand),
-screen size (not necessarily resolution)  to 1280x1024.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:58:17 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2082 on: February 25, 2010, 01:47:36 pm »

ThtblovesDF: I don't recommend that 1x4 ship turret setup. If you plan to engage fast moving objects with that, especially missiles, it's inefficient. Missiles have 1hp, ignoring armor which is what mesons do. Having just 1 turret with 4 barrels is inefficient as you'd likely end up overkilling 1 missile and not being able to shoot at anything else coming to hit you within the next 4 seconds.
Actually It's been my experience, and is stated in the tutorial I believe, that multiple weapons in a turret can and will engaged multiple targets. We should test to be sure, but I know I've seen it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: February 25, 2010, 02:25:14 pm »

Re: Turrets and multiple targets

From What I've experienced multiple guns on a single turret can shoot at multiple missiles in a single salvo, but it's only because each missile salvo seems to be treated as a single target.  It is entirely possible to have multiple salvos coming at you at the same speed from the same heading, precursors do it alot.  And they do it to the extreme.  I had 4 salvos of 50 size 4 missiles heading to my ships in one wave once, needless to say it ended badly for their target.  All guns on a turret will fire at what their fire control tells them to, and you can only give a turret a single target.

Re: Errors 
I also haven't had any significant errors for awhile.  I had a few rare error window popups, but they don't seem to actually stop you from doing what you were doing.

RE:Class Size
My classifications for main combat ships: 
Below 500 tons are fighters or sentry guns.
501-1000 is a bomber or gunboat,
1001-5000 is a frigate.
5001-10000 is a destroyer. 
10001 - 15000 is a corvette(yes I know corvettes are usually smaller than destroyers I played too much freespace2)
15001-20000 is a cruiser.
20001-30000 is a Battleship.
30001+ is a dreadnought.

Most of my ships fall into Corvette range, with carriers and EWACS making it to cruiser.  The only Battleship I ever managed to build was a Bahamut class Laser battleship.  It was built to take down the star swarm queen, but version 5.0 came out before it ever saw a fight.

But really its up to you what you class your ships.  According to wikipedia those names are pretty arbitrary in reality too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:29:56 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: February 25, 2010, 02:45:06 pm »

Greiger: It wasn't the class that we had a concern about, if you notice. It's that for a ship with just one weapon, it was 10000 tonnes.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1347