Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815895 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1995 on: February 23, 2010, 10:17:49 pm »

putting camopaint on a citybus though would be useless at best and dangerous at worst.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: February 23, 2010, 10:30:59 pm »

Alright, sweet, got my first mothership designd and my first fighters (single gaus cannon, ftw, has to use the motherships sensors otherwise lost), but will be a few years before I can build that thing, gotta increase shipyard size...

Annnnyway...

First race showd up - coming to me - thankfully peacefull... stalking them as they run though my system. I made a espionage Team, but can't figure out how I get them to spy on them fellas...

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: February 23, 2010, 11:10:29 pm »

Alright, sweet, got my first mothership designd and my first fighters (single gaus cannon, ftw, has to use the motherships sensors otherwise lost), but will be a few years before I can build that thing, gotta increase shipyard size...

Annnnyway...

First race showd up - coming to me - thankfully peacefull... stalking them as they run though my system. I made a espionage Team, but can't figure out how I get them to spy on them fellas...

I still havent figured out how to do carriers type vessels, and i sorta dont want to be bothered with attempting to control 500 fighters + 50 ships or something. the game isnt automated enough for that to ever be fun...
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: February 23, 2010, 11:49:55 pm »

What's with the power efficiency of power generators? The only thing i can think of is the fuel, but i thought they didn't use that?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1999 on: February 24, 2010, 12:00:02 am »

What's with the power efficiency of power generators? The only thing i can think of is the fuel, but i thought they didn't use that?
I thought it gave more power per size, no?

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: February 24, 2010, 12:01:03 am »

Nah, efficiency on power plants reduces the explosion chance and reduces the cost. It's on the wiki under Player Designed Systems.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: February 24, 2010, 01:24:19 am »

@Journier.

I'm feelings frisky :3

Q still stands: How to use the espionage team?

Anyway to edit wealth as SM or size of a spaceyard?

*Also found home planet of the alien race, its like earth with 12 degree temp... and they have around 5 times my ships O_o
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:27:39 am by ThtblovesDF »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: February 24, 2010, 01:28:03 am »

@Journier.

I'm feelings frisky :3

Q still stands: How to use the espionage team?

Anyway to edit wealth as SM or size of a spaceyard?
'

for your second question you hit sm mode on the bar that first opens, then open economics screen then press sm mods on the bottom of the economics screen.

for your first question, do you even have a espionage team made?

edit-

Anyways go to your teams / academy tab, select in team type drop down, espionage, select the 5 best espionage people you have. Then hit select team.

Now you have a espionage team on your planet, now you need to transfer that team to a enemy planet after creating a colony there and then let them do their work.

Now capturing enemy ship crew brings the same effects as actual espionage teams on the planet.

Here is what espionage/ crew interrogation has the chance of giving you about the enemy.
When you get a certain number of spy points on a specified race from espionage and interrogation, you get a random piece of intel based on the knowledge of that race. There is an equal chance of one of the following; new background technology, gravitational data for a known system, geological data for a known system, summary data on an alien class, the ability to build a random alien missile or weapon system or knowledge of a new system.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:22:41 am by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: February 24, 2010, 10:01:38 am »

I still havent figured out how to do carriers type vessels, and i sorta dont want to be bothered with attempting to control 500 fighters + 50 ships or something. the game isnt automated enough for that to ever be fun...
For carriers you build the mothership with stacked hangars or boat bays.  You can set their hangar loadout in the class design screen, but I haven't noticed that do anything yet, I may be doing it wrong.  I mostly just use it to plan out how big to make the squadrons assigned to the carrier.

Once you have your carrier designed and built you can assign fighters to it.  You can do this two ways,  either go into the ship screen and assign the fighters to the carrier one at a time from the first tab, top right. Remember to push the land button if you want them to land in the hangar immediately after you assign them, that of course only works if they are in the same spot at the carrier.

Or you can do it the slightly less micromanagy way.  Go into the fighters screen (F7) and hit the new button at the bottum to create a new fighter squadron.  They will be given a random name that you can change at the top if you wish.  Then go to the reorganise squadrons tab, and take ships from 'no squadron assignment' and move them into your squadron, hopefully remembering the capacity of the carrier you plan on assigning them to.  After that you select the carrier you wish to assign them to, and if they are in the same location as it, hit 'recover' which will tell all the fighters in the squadron to land on the mothership.  Then go back into the details tab to make sure their location is the same as their assigned ship. If so, your golden. If not something went wrong, either the squadron isn't in the same place as the mothership, or the mothership didn't have enough capacity.  Also it would probably be a good idea if you have more than 1 fighter class to keep the diffrent classes in diffrent squadrons.  Fighter speeds can vary alot, making it inefficient to stick a slow fighter in with fast ones.  Don't worry about having too many squadrons, a carrier can carry an unlimited number of squadrons, it's just the total number of ships matters for capacity.

The assigning from the ships screen is quicker to do.  But the making a squadron thing has the advantage of automatically splitting the fighters off into a squadron task group when launched, which saves alot of time in the long run. 

P.S. The downside of the squadron method is that it only works on fighters.  If you want to add a larger ship to a hangar like a gunboat or a small destroyer, your only option is to do it from the ships screen.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:07:27 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: February 24, 2010, 10:32:07 am »

My experience from espionage failed horribly.  Lost +5 full teams in a screw around SM game.

Havn't touched it since... but that was with the 4.7 (or was it 4.8?) build...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: February 24, 2010, 04:54:38 pm »

I posted the Espionage primer on their wiki now guys.

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Espionage

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: February 24, 2010, 05:10:25 pm »

My current first contact besides precursors is peaceful, believe it or not.
Might be related to me not having found their home yet.
I did the same stalk them geo/grav surveys gig as well, lost them though. :(
Was hoping they'd lead me to new jumppoints or their base.

Anyhow, chasing precursor corvettes with mine now. 

---

How do you guys use medals?
I've found my upper echelon is full of survey geeks and teachers.
(peacetime got only the scientists and trainers gaining experience, also inferior craft killed most my fightingmen in a failed precursor action)
I'm now creating medals based on campaigns, such as the Kunming Star (25PPt) for participation in the precursor cleanup in Kunming system. Not sure if the support ships should get the ribbon too... maybe just the ships that have seen action.

I was planning on X personal kills medals, but it is hard to keep track which ship in a taskforce fired which shot... so that is unlikely to work. get xp for hitting stuff anyhow. :)
A medal for delivering the final hit that kills a spacebug queen would be cool.
(Need to paint a bug medal!)

Got a Survivors Cross (10PPt) for surviving ship destruction....maybe should be -10ppt to represent 'bad luck' stigma. ;)

--
edit: bastard precurses! Had a fleet of previously unseen big ships lurking, is decimating my cruiserflottilla with salvos of missiles and staying just outside my missile range. (Not to mention torpedo range) Caught me mid system and while reloading ammo as well. :( Not happy with these guys. I'm gonna need increasing the value of the campaign ribbon. :/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:49:52 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: February 24, 2010, 05:15:08 pm »

Interrogation, maybe put that as 1.4   or just make it 2.0.

You don't need an espionage team to interrogate.  At least I never needed it when I picked up enemy life pods.

Whats Tannhauser Gate?

Well... maybe the interrogation part could look like:

Life pods from a defeated hostile fleet can also be rescued, similar to how you would normally rescue your own life pods.

Upon picking up a hostile's life pod, the survivors will be interrogated for information and technology.  You have a chance to learn new things about the hostile's ships or even learn a new technology, similar to having an espionage team at a hostile's planet.

@Medals: Someone needs to pre-make some sort of package for em...    Survivor Medals...  should be one for multiple survivals...  see how unlucky a particular officer is...

Hmm... I probably could suggest a....  cemetery...  would be interesting to see how many officers lost their lives and how under my rule...  with medal collection showcased too.

And a retirement list too... maybe, at least with officers who gained medals.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: February 24, 2010, 05:19:08 pm »

Interrogation, maybe put that as 1.4   or just make it 2.0.

You don't need an espionage team to interrogate.  At least I never needed it when I picked up enemy life pods.

Whats Tannhauser Gate?

Well... maybe the interrogation part could look like:

Life pods from a defeated hostile fleet can also be rescued, similar to how you would normally rescue your own life pods.

Upon picking up a hostile's life pod, the survivors will be interrogated for information and technology.  You have a chance to learn new things about the hostile's ships or even learn a new technology, similar to having an espionage team at a hostile's planet.

@Medals: Someone needs to pre-make some sort of package for em...    Survivor Medals...  should be one for multiple survivals...  see how unlucky a particular officer is...

Hmm... I probably could suggest a....  cemetery...  would be interesting to see how many officers lost their lives and how under my rule...  with medal collection showcased too.

And a retirement list too... maybe, at least with officers who gained medals.

Feel free to edit it up, I just threw it up there so a basis was there for others to correct and add to.

Tannhauser gate is a reference to Blade runner.... nevermind ^_^

edit-

and your graveyard idea would be funny! :) love to see that as a suggestion on his forums.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:22:15 pm by Journier »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: February 24, 2010, 05:26:55 pm »

a list of retired and deceased officer has been suggested previously.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 1347