Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815832 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1980 on: February 23, 2010, 06:49:12 pm »

I plan on just leaving systems alone when i am done with them, then move on to the next system using the others through research and stuff. The only problem is the fuel production....is it possible to stop that for a certain colony? or do i have to get rid of the fuel processing plants? (can i destroy those plants or do i have to move them?)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1981 on: February 23, 2010, 06:59:42 pm »

I plan on just leaving systems alone when i am done with them, then move on to the next system using the others through research and stuff. The only problem is the fuel production....is it possible to stop that for a certain colony? or do i have to get rid of the fuel processing plants? (can i destroy those plants or do i have to move them?)
On the civilian sector tab you can shut down fuel refineries and a bunch of other things. They take like 180 days to reactivate once shut down tho.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:54 pm »

In the Task group window... how can I move a ship (say from TG Shipyard) to a other task group? All I manage to do is detach it and have a single new group, which is getting spammy at this point.

TL:DR How to add ship to existing task group?

NVM FIGURED IT OUT RIGHT AFTER I POSTED THIS.

MAGIC
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:37:01 pm by ThtblovesDF »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: February 23, 2010, 07:43:14 pm »

The new system to speed up npr fights seems a bit screwy.  I had 1 day long intervals for some time now (better than 5 seconds heh) but out of dumb luck one of my chocobo (Fast lightly armed sensor ship not as stealthy as a Stirge) class scouts encountered the fight.

The odd thing was though that they didn't start fighting til I showed up.  Both are full fledged NPRs, one of which is the Tarka NPR I made a few pages ago that I made friendly to me.  Once my ship entered the system practically on top of the fight they started fleeing from eachother at top speed while firing missiles.  With no indication that they were doing so before I arrived.  I decide to help out my fellow reptilian friends, and my chocobo starts firing it's one 15cm laser at the enemy ships.  They are still fleeing as fast as they can, but their slow 850km/s missile boats don't have a prayer of outrunning my 6000km/s armed scout, and for some reason also don't have a prayer of hurting it.  They fired salvos (only 3 missiles at a time) of missiles that simply got annihilated by the scout's 2 CIWS systems.  While my Bird slowly pecked them to death.

I thought randomly generated NPRs are supposed to have comparable tech to you.  Either I somehow encountered the other starting NPR early, or they just start with random tech, because I seem to have these guys pretty severely outtecched.  I just have the same tech from my last game.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:46:37 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: February 23, 2010, 08:40:04 pm »

Perhaps they were low-tech, outdated, small scouts? My initial scout ships consist of little more than a jump drive, a laser and some sensors.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: February 23, 2010, 08:42:17 pm »

I can't figure out how to class a ship fighter...

I can build em under 500 tons (and yes, I changed it so it shows size in tons) and have all the small, tiny, fighter tech... but it just doesn't... "get it"

So where do I click after I design'd my fighter? Its in the same ship design area like everything else, right?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: February 23, 2010, 08:52:01 pm »

Make sure your fighter doesn't have a bridge.  Also make sure it uses a fighter engine.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: February 23, 2010, 08:53:17 pm »

I can't figure out how to class a ship fighter...

I can build em under 500 tons (and yes, I changed it so it shows size in tons) and have all the small, tiny, fighter tech... but it just doesn't... "get it"

So where do I click after I design'd my fighter? Its in the same ship design area like everything else, right?
Fighters are built in the fighter factories, check under the industry tab on the scroll down - fighters.

You need a single fight engine to make a fighter.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1988 on: February 23, 2010, 08:57:53 pm »

Hell I don't even have 'scout' ships. I have jump cruisers with shit tons of fuel and engineering space and maint storage which totes along unarmed survey vessels and two fast attack ships. The FAC are armed but the jump cruiser just has some PD systems.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: February 23, 2010, 09:22:24 pm »

Scouts are easy to make, and I find it better to use them then to sand in a few survey ships only to watch them get roasted by a precursor or something.  My scouts jump in, fly by all the system bodies in the system then leave.  Once they do that, I'm reasonably certain there's nothing out to get me. 
Spoiler: Here's my scout ships. (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:31:37 pm by Greiger »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: February 23, 2010, 09:33:51 pm »

make sure the shipdesign overview states it is classeda fighter for maintenance.

I had a problem with hypercapable fighter engines actually being not allowed for fighters.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:01 pm »

What is everyone's thoughts on thermal reduction for engines? Is it worth the minerals to put on all your engines?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1992 on: February 23, 2010, 10:00:05 pm »

What is everyone's thoughts on thermal reduction for engines? Is it worth the minerals to put on all your engines?
On EVERY vessel? I don't think it is.

It makes your ships much harder to spot when you're not using active sensors, but some ships and fleets you won't care if they're spotted either because they're never near a warzone or because they're a main battle fleet, not a stealthy taskforce. Putting camo paint on a rhino doesn't hide the rhino. :P

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: February 23, 2010, 10:05:38 pm »

But putting camo paint on the rhino puts him that much closer to him impaling you with his horn.  :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:15 pm »

On my main fleets I use a little thermal reduction, but not alot.  I think my general military engine is 90% normal thermal.  Enough to have a slight benefit, but not use a whole lot of resources.

All my stealth engines use the best I got though, which is I believe is about 1/3rd normal emissions.  Really goes a long way towards making sure you spot them before they spot you.  It takes a really strong thermal sensor to see my scouts before they see you.  But they do use more resources, so I don't put them on every ship I can.  ...Besides, it's funny looking at another race's sensor data on one of your ships and seeing "Estimated speed: 1200km/s Observed speed: 5500km/s"

To continue with the analogies, putting camo on a herd of elephants is probably a waste of time, put it on a pride of lions and you might get somewhere, but put camo on a lone viper and you might do some damage before anybody knows what's happening.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:29:30 pm by Greiger »
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 1347