Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815841 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1875 on: February 20, 2010, 11:03:10 pm »

Ahhhh, I stand corrected. EM sensors do help, but they are not necessary.

Quote from: Aurora Wiki
EM Sensors
Passive sensors that detect EM signatures. These can be used to detect ship shields, Active Sensors and the presence of colonies on a planet

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: February 20, 2010, 11:03:54 pm »

http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2211&p=21125&hilit=EM+detect+active+sensors#p21125

He seems to be a long time player of aurora....I don't see how you can just see active sensors with other active sensors. Maybe it had to do with NPR's not realizing you were there, then keeping the transponders of their civs on (if NPR's even HAVE civs).

Ninja'ed .....i always wanted to say that :ninja: fail :-[

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1877 on: February 20, 2010, 11:04:38 pm »

You need an EM sensor to detect active sensors.

No, you don't. I never use EM sensors, only thermal and active, and I have always been able to detect active sensor blips. EM is for detecting the shields of ships; e.g. it's only really useful for spotting military ships that are already gearing up for a fight. There are better things to waste your research points on IMO.
Yeah, every ship has a very very weak passive EM sensor regardless, but they don't have great range. Still they can pick up strong sources at a good distance.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 20, 2010, 11:07:52 pm »

I recall reading someplace that Actives are detected by EMs. And my own experience backs it up.  But for the life of me I can't find a quote.
It's in one of the ship building tutorials, along with the relevant equation. Probably mentioned here, too. Can't remember precisely which one though.

Warning - while you were typing 4 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

:|
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 20, 2010, 11:09:57 pm »

Heh, I'm just happy I finally got to ninja someone. It's strangely satisfying.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: February 20, 2010, 11:34:47 pm »

I think actives can detect other actives just by the way they apperantly work.  They send out some kind of gravity pulse to detect gravity wells.  I imagine an active sensor would be able to pick up on the pulse of another active sensor.

Besides Steve seems to go with a variation on what actually happens in real life from what I see.  I'm pretty sure active sonar can pick up other sonar pings, and radar can pick up other radar signals.  (no I'm not a U.S. Navy engineer or anything so I don't really know for sure.)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: February 20, 2010, 11:37:06 pm »

You need an EM sensor to detect active sensors.

No, you don't. I never use EM sensors, only thermal and active, and I have always been able to detect active sensor blips. EM is for detecting the shields of ships; e.g. it's only really useful for spotting military ships that are already gearing up for a fight. There are better things to waste your research points on IMO.
Yeah, every ship has a very very weak passive EM sensor regardless, but they don't have great range. Still they can pick up strong sources at a good distance.
Right. Every ship gets a strength 1 thermal and EM sensor if they don't have anything better.
The other thing EM sensors are good for is detecting alien populations. From what I've seen, they typically have an EM signature around 5 times stronger than their thermal signature, so an EM sensor will pick them up much sooner. That and figuring out which enemy ship has the sensors and needs to be blown up first.

Oh, and no, active sensors can't pick up active sensors. Maybe they should be able to, but they can't.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: February 20, 2010, 11:52:56 pm »

Oh, and no, active sensors can't pick up active sensors. Maybe they should be able to, but they can't.

ARGHHHHH, Stop blowing my mind with these new idea's!

ffffff

This whole time i thought actives picked up other actives.... damn
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: February 20, 2010, 11:53:28 pm »

Just wondering but  does anyone know when 5.0 is coming out?

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: February 20, 2010, 11:56:31 pm »

Just wondering but  does anyone know when 5.0 is coming out?

steve just posted today in Mechanics forum saying he was gonna cut some features on the task group modifications he was doing and work on putting them in for the 5.1+ release.

I assume he is doing that since hes been saying 5.0 is coming out for nearly 2 weeks now. So maybe early next week?? or sunday??? he said on the 7th of february that week, and then he said in a couple days like on the 16th... so

http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2250&start=15#p21757
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:58:44 pm by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: February 21, 2010, 12:01:04 am »

The other thing EM sensors are good for is detecting alien populations. From what I've seen, they typically have an EM signature around 5 times stronger than their thermal signature, so an EM sensor will pick them up much sooner.
They pick up industry, from what I remember reading. Populations produce heavy thermal signatures and light EM signatures, and industry produces heavy EM and light thermal. For some reason. You'd think a large amount of heavy equipment/power generation/smelters/whatever would produce a hell of a lot more heat than populations, though perhaps it's thinking along the lines of hives/dense cities forming detectable blobs of heat (still wouldn't think that would be detectable out of orbit...).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1886 on: February 21, 2010, 12:24:01 am »

I think you have it backwards. Populations produce a lot of EM, industry a lot of thermal.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: February 21, 2010, 12:38:34 am »

The other thing EM sensors are good for is detecting alien populations. From what I've seen, they typically have an EM signature around 5 times stronger than their thermal signature, so an EM sensor will pick them up much sooner.
They pick up industry, from what I remember reading. Populations produce heavy thermal signatures and light EM signatures, and industry produces heavy EM and light thermal. For some reason. You'd think a large amount of heavy equipment/power generation/smelters/whatever would produce a hell of a lot more heat than populations, though perhaps it's thinking along the lines of hives/dense cities forming detectable blobs of heat (still wouldn't think that would be detectable out of orbit...).

Yea im sorta right there with you man.

edit-

except yea populations produce lots of EM and industry produces lots of heat.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:40:49 am by Journier »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: February 21, 2010, 01:20:31 am »

Anyone want to be my guinea pig for a bit of a RPing scenario?

Try to create a bunch of allied NPRs (preferably with different tolerances, so they can cover a wider amount of planets that the others can't) and ally them with each other, then let them grow extremely powerful in tech and branch out into other systems, then spawn your own civilization right in the middle of them and make them all hate you.

From there you have to attempt to escape the 3 of them, preferably by building a jump ship carrying the bare necessities for a colony, and build an empire far away, then come back and fight them.

Any suggestions or tweaks to make this more fun?

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: February 21, 2010, 02:28:09 am »

Anyone want to be my guinea pig for a bit of a RPing scenario?

Try to create a bunch of allied NPRs (preferably with different tolerances, so they can cover a wider amount of planets that the others can't) and ally them with each other, then let them grow extremely powerful in tech and branch out into other systems, then spawn your own civilization right in the middle of them and make them all hate you.

From there you have to attempt to escape the 3 of them, preferably by building a jump ship carrying the bare necessities for a colony, and build an empire far away, then come back and fight them.

Any suggestions or tweaks to make this more fun?

sounds pretty fun as is ^_^

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 1347