Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815795 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1845 on: February 19, 2010, 04:30:43 am »

Thx, seems I overestimated it. I was thinking of SM mode being able to prefabricate an entire galaxy manually and adding races.

narakal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: February 19, 2010, 06:28:50 am »

Actually, you are able to do those, as a combination of different functions, ala produce a bunch of systems in conjunction, and having that becoming your galaxy. Also, you can create and add races, but I am sorta unsure on how you do those... yeah... SM from what I have seen is actually a pretty powerful tool, because it opens up all those other ones mentioned in Grieger's post.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: February 19, 2010, 06:45:56 am »

My civ shipping line have bought their first Luxury Liner.

I only have two colonies, so I dont know where these millionaires will be going?

Perhaps they want to visit the worms in Alpha Centauri.  Before I terraform the hell out of the place.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: February 19, 2010, 09:36:21 am »

I only have two colonies, so I dont know where these millionaires will be going?

Perhaps they want to visit the worms in Alpha Centauri.  Before I terraform the hell out of the place.

Technically, the luxury liner is a colony transport.  Get there in style.... and stay...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: February 19, 2010, 12:17:31 pm »

Thx, seems I overestimated it. I was thinking of SM mode being able to prefabricate an entire galaxy manually and adding races.

You can.  It just takes so much time and effort to do it that there isn't really any point.  You can't manually place planets one by one, or change the atmospheric information without going through a whole bunch of hoops, but you can create systems and link them to other systems. I forgot about the buttons that let you do that.

Create empire can be used multiple times, and you can set extra ones you create as NPRs.  The problem comes up with editing those NPRs to make them like what you want.  You can't access the planets or racial information of an NPR just from SM mode, like you can a player race. Making it impossible to fully modify a custom NPR race.  You need designer mode for that.  I actually may put a suggestion up on the aurora forums to let the SM modify the custom NPR's homeworld, and race data, immediately after creating an NPR but only immediately after the SM spawns them.

Buttons I forgot about, and haven't experimented around much with:

- Near the top of the system information screen is 'delete star'  it just deletes the selected star and orbiting bodies, without deleting the entire system.  It can't be used on the center star of a system.  But all others are fair game.  Handy if you have a star orbiting hundreds of billions of kms out from the center of the system that would take years to reach even at hyperspeed, that you just don't wanna have nagging the back of your mind all the time.

System Information> Jump points Tab.  In here you can add or remove Jump points from the system. 
     * Enter/Explore Seems to just change the selected system to the one on the other side of the selected JP.
     *  Hide WP makes the jump not show up on the galactic map.
     * Add JP adds a jump point.  Half the time I used this after a ship explores it it got sent into nonexistance and bugged the game.  I think you may have to link the point manually after creating it.
     * Add / delete Jump Gate Adds or deletes a jump gate instantly.
     * Delete JP Should remove the selected JP from existence.
     * Sm jump point bearing and distance.  Lets you move around where the JP is located in the system.
     * SM change jump point destination points a jump gate to a system.  Seems to be necessary after creating a new JP.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: February 19, 2010, 05:37:36 pm »

Technically, the luxury liner is a colony transport.  Get there in style.... and stay...

They'll ferry population back and forth, you could use it a colony transport.

I use it as an RP tool for academic team transportation. They get their own speedy jump ship.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1851 on: February 19, 2010, 06:18:12 pm »

They'll ferry population back and forth, you could use it a colony transport.

I use it as an RP tool for academic team transportation. They get their own speedy jump ship.
For that purpose I make a dedicated 'courier' class ship. You don't actually need a luxury passenger module to carry teams around so I just make it fast, reliable and give it a jump drive and a point defense system. Shields too if I feel like it. Mostly roleplaying, but it would suck if one my my good teams were shot down somehow.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:12:16 pm by forsaken1111 »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: February 19, 2010, 07:45:16 pm »

I have never gotten the civilian contracts to work...They just sit there for forever. The only time I've seen them do anything is when they bring infrastructure to a colony.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: February 19, 2010, 08:11:22 pm »

There's some sort of bug with the civilian shipping lines not going to other star systems. I've seen it show up in a couple games, and not show up in a couple others. Don't know what causes it. What's more, if you've got this problem and you put some civilian contracts in anyway, all the freighters will stop working altogether - it's like they want to take care of the civilian contract, but they can't find a path, so they just sit around doing nothing. Or something.
(Also, in the not-a-bug category, civilians won't go to other systems unless there's a path of jump gates, so build some if you haven't already.)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: February 19, 2010, 10:02:58 pm »

I have never gotten the civilian contracts to work...They just sit there for forever. The only time I've seen them do anything is when they bring infrastructure to a colony.

they usually work in system just fine... not sure, go to the aurora forum do a search and if you cant find anything related (there are lots of civilian economy bugs) then throw up a bug report.

Developer is more than happy to talk about the issue/ if he knows of it.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: February 20, 2010, 03:55:03 am »

So how exactly does the whole civilian NPR-things system work? Heck, how does the whole civilian supply/demand page work? All I know is that I have three freighters I don't own myself in orbit around Earth.

The "tutorials" didn't so much as mention the things, at least not that I saw.

Civilian Economy in depth http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1486
Civilian Mining in depth http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1716

also hit ctrl + L and that brings up your shipping line screen, where you can subsidize your civilian shipping lines.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:57:04 am by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: February 20, 2010, 04:47:11 am »

The civilians will ferry infrastructure and colonists between colonies in one system, and between star systems linked by Jump Gates. They are doing so in my current game.  The infrastructure in cilvilian made, and is made without NT mineral cost at all, as if from thin air. This is a good thing!

The will also trade the non player made goods, listed on the weath tab of the F2 screen.  This has non game impact, except raising taxes.

The civilian contracts, from the Civilian tab of F2 are broken, and should not be used.

You do need two colonies with populations to get them to trade, and the larger the pop, the more they trade. Small pop colonies have very small demands, in comparison to larger pop colonies. So Mars can dominate your new star system colony, at least it does for me.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: February 20, 2010, 09:09:31 pm »

I just had a fairly decent loss due to the enemy luckily targetting and killing my Sensor ship first....

leaving the other 15 Destroyers in my fleet BLIND except for thermals.

fffffff
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:11:47 pm by Journier »

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: February 20, 2010, 09:29:26 pm »

I just had a fairly decent loss due to the enemy luckily targetting and killing my Sensor ship first....

leaving the other 15 Destroyers in my fleet BLIND except for thermals.

fffffff

There was no lucky in it. the ai chose to dit because maybe the Active sensor was the only thing he saw

You should had backup sensors or something.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: February 20, 2010, 09:30:06 pm »

This is why i put active sensors on all of my ships.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 1347