Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815808 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1830 on: February 18, 2010, 11:24:59 am »

I don't think there are variable stars or pulsars in Aurora...are there?
They're unlikely to have a habitable zone, or viable planets and be a deathtraps to ships (crews), but also a likely source of TN elements.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1831 on: February 18, 2010, 11:45:51 am »

I don't think there are variable stars or pulsars in Aurora...are there?
They're unlikely to have a habitable zone, or viable planets and be a deathtraps to ships (crews), but also a likely source of TN elements.

Oh man how cool would that be? A stellar mining rig module which by itself is 10,000 tons and must be towed into orbit around a pulsar.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: February 18, 2010, 11:51:05 am »

Unrelatedly, in Noctis, I once encountered a Felysian planet (meaning Earthlike or habitable) that was... rogue. A planet without a star that was somehow supporting life. Prime example of off-the-whack RNG right there. After that, finding habitable planets in binary starsystems and even around brown dwarfs wasn't all that surprising. I've yet to find one around a neutron star though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1833 on: February 18, 2010, 11:53:16 am »

Unrelatedly, in Noctis, I once encountered a Felysian planet (meaning Earthlike or habitable) that was... rogue. A planet without a star that was somehow supporting life. Prime example of off-the-whack RNG right there. After that, finding habitable planets in binary starsystems and even around brown dwarfs wasn't all that surprising. I've yet to find one around a neutron star though.

Use that imagination! Perhaps the decay of an unknown radioactive element with an extremely long half-life deep in the planet's core generates enough radiant heat that the surface is just barely within tolerable temperature ranges for life. :P

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: February 18, 2010, 12:42:48 pm »

Yea there are a few illogical things in Aurora also... I have a nebula system that is just 2 gas giants and their moons orbiting a protostar.

The odd thing?  One of the moons actually passes through the star during it's orbit and one moon passes on the other side of the star in relation to it's gas giant while maintaining it's orbit.

Oh and the temperature of the moon that passes through the star? -193.4 C.

EDIT: Correction, after zooming in more it just gets really close.  Like 1/10th the distance from mercury to the sun if the orbit comparison overlay is to be believed (3m km).  Doesn't quite pass through.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:52:18 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: February 18, 2010, 12:48:57 pm »

I guess it's no wonder if most planets in the universe are chock full with physics-defying minerals... Maybe there's some anti-fusion going on, which makes the moon freeze itself?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: February 18, 2010, 02:13:09 pm »

NPRs were fighting for awhile and I decided to take a look.  It seems like the NPR the game started with wandered into a system that generated both a new NPR as well as precursors on neighboring planets.

The new extremely low tech NPR put up a valiant effort at defending their planet from the precursors.  But their low tech missiles and ships didn't stand a chance.  A short time later the precursors bombarded the NPR's homeworld with missiles, completely glassing the planet in 5 seconds. 

I feel kind of sorry for them.  They were thrust into existence and then utterly annihilated by fate within the space of 2 days.  Sounds like a few DF embarks I had.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: February 18, 2010, 04:51:33 pm »

the praise for box launchers were high, then i saw the 1.2 hour reload.....so I'm going to have to shoot, then run away for an hour?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1838 on: February 18, 2010, 04:56:19 pm »

the praise for box launchers were high, then i saw the 1.2 hour reload.....so I'm going to have to shoot, then run away for an hour?
They're intended for things like fighters, where you only intend to carry a single launch and have a backup weapon, or to have a massive single volley. They're certainly not intended to be a primary weapon system.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: February 18, 2010, 05:07:27 pm »

a backup weapon on a fighter sounds heavy....but then again the box launcher is small....hmmm

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1840 on: February 18, 2010, 05:41:23 pm »

a backup weapon on a fighter sounds heavy....but then again the box launcher is small....hmmm
Some modern fighters have several missile or bomb payloads and a secondary cannon weapon system. It's the same principle, I wonder if it would work out.

They're also great for massive volleys like I said, if you need to saturate point defense.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: February 18, 2010, 08:43:43 pm »

They're intended for things like fighters, where you only intend to carry a single launch and have a backup weapon, or to have a massive single volley. They're certainly not intended to be a primary weapon system.

Box launchers seem to be more for finish as quick as possible fast combat(1-3 rounds)... or clean-up sweeps, not too useful in this case unless the enemy is running fast and you are out of normal missiles....  Or burst damage...

Taking out X number of warships in the beginning of a fight can swing things in your favor.  It basically amounts to less enemy ships shooting at you... less casualties and technically more firepower.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: February 18, 2010, 10:04:39 pm »

So, anyone experiences willing to explain SM mode to me. In massive detail.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: February 18, 2010, 10:39:29 pm »

So, anyone experiences willing to explain SM mode to me. In massive detail.

Well, I've dabbled in it.  Can't do a tutorial or anything remotely near that... wouldn't know where to begin either way...  its probably easier to ask specific-ish questions and screwing around with it at the same time...

Someone out here may know...  SM mode is mostly undocumented and you might be able to get more answers from long-time members in the Aurora forum.  Or Steve himself if willing.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: February 19, 2010, 01:45:28 am »

Sm mode is basically just a single variable.  Enter SM mode and the variable gets set to say, 1.  On all the menus and screens there are buttons that only appear and/or work when that variable is set.

- In the economics screen you have All Research and SM Mods down at the bottum on all tabs.
     *All Research gives all the research to the current default race that costs less than X value.  X is set when you push the button.
     *SM Mods allows the SM to directly modify all the details of a population or colony.  Want free infrastructure, construction factories of population just to name a few?  Add them here.  It goes to the currently selected colony.  Seems to default to the capital if none are selected.

- Economics>Industry tab has SM Add.  Basically just creates whatever you entered in the create industrial project entries instantly from thin air.  Like the create button, but instant and costs nothing.

- Economics>Shipyard Tab has SM SY Mod.  It lets you directly modify the details of the currently selected shipyard.  Size, number of slipways, and whether it's naval or commercial.

- Economics>Research I mentioned before.  Instant gives the race the highlighted technology instantly.  Instant RST does the same with all the custom techs made in the design screen.

- Economics> Environment has SM Set Atm.  After setting the desired value for a gas like you were doing normal terraforming just hit this button to change the ATM instantly to the value you set.

- Economics> GU Training has Add Units.  It creates a number of ground units for free.  I haven't used this one yet, but it looks self explanatory.

- Commanders has replace all.  Haven't used it but I assume it replaces all of your current commanders with a fresh batch with a variable amount of seniority.

- Class Design has the unlock button.  As long as a class has been built the class becomes locked. The game uses the values here to determine what a ship has all the time, not just when the ship is first built.  So if you change an existing class all ships of that class would 'magically' obtain the new parts for free.  Unlock just allows you to edit a current design directly.  Good for if you simply make a stupid little mistake that no sensible designer would miss, and already have a few ships out with the flaw. Like missing engines or no reactor on a laser ship.  It can also theoretically be used to transform a tiny little scout ship into a 30000 ton behemoth for free. 'SM Mode' is just a convenient button to put you into SM mode without minimizing the screen.

- The ships screen has repair all and SM refuel.  repair all repairs all damage on the selected ship automagically.  Sm refuel is supposed to magically fill the selected ship's fuel tank, but in my experience, it dosn't work.

- The system screen in SM mode is the first screen you would visit when making a custom game, and is quite powerful.  All the sm buttons are down in the lower right. 
     *Create Empire Creates a player race or NPR on the selected planet.  Currently the planet needs to have an atmosphere, and oxygen Sometimes the dangerous gasses will work instead, and it will give you a confirmation informing you of what gas the new race would need to live instead of oxygen.  The screen that comes up is very similar to some of the start game options.
     *Create system creates a randomly generated system, just like if a ship went through a jump point.  You would probably have to use this a few times before you find a planet with parameters you are looking for.
     *Create Nebula is exactly like create system.  It just forces the system to be a nebula type.
     *HW materials is used to guarantee all minerals with decent acessability on the selected planet.  Good to use right before create empire.
     *All Minerals runs the random generation for minerals on the system again replacing what was there before.
     *Specify Minerals lets you manually place minerals and acessability on the selected
 planet.
     *JP survey automatically surveys all gravity survey points in the system for the current default race.  Make sure your default race is the one you want to have this effect before using it.
     *All SB survey, just like JP survey, only for geo surveys of all the planets.
     *Star SB survey just like the above, only effecting the planets orbiting the currently selected star.
     *Body Survey Instantly does a geological survey for the current default race of the currently selected body.
     *No JP survey/No SB Survey Forces the currently selected default race to lose all Jump point or system body information on the system.
     *Update Atmos Not entirely sure.  Seems to just refresh the screen.
     *Redo Comets Re runs the comet generation routine, and forces there to be at least 1 comet.
     *Random Ruin Adds a precursor site to the selected system body.  May or may not spawn Precursor ships as well.  I don't know.

- Task Groups has no SM Buttons, but being in SM mode with this screen removes the requirement for ships to be in the same location as the task group to be moved to it.  Allowing you to teleport ships to distant task groups.

- SM mode View race details makes the race's environmental tolerances and other details editable.  Works well with the economics>environment SM mode to customize a race.  Remember that if you drastically change a race's tolerances you may need to SM terraform your homeworld at the environment tab of economics to keep it habitable.

- Intelligence/Diplomacy gives you communicate and Change DR.  Communicate just lets your race know the target race's language, which makes it easier to spy, helps diplomacy, and get intel from prisoners.  Change DR Changes your race's view of the target race instantly. The values for various things are given in the tooltip.  Change DR only effects your race's view of them.  It doesn't effect their view of you.

And that's all I can think of at the moment.  The password for SM mode unless you set one yourself is always blank.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:37:29 am by Greiger »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 1347