Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815283 times)

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1695 on: February 12, 2010, 09:36:01 pm »

Try thinking before you talk. If the question I'm asking has no obvious answer then it is not stupid. Ignore it if you don't want to answer it.

Try thinking at all has you shown a stunning ability to ask stupid questions.

and the question has a obvious answer = Because that's how it is and you should shut up and roll with it.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: February 13, 2010, 12:05:00 am »

Good lord people, can't we all play nice?  [midnight rant]From what I see Micro hasn't done anything but ask questions, which last I checked isn't a crime on this board, or else nobody here would have ever managed to learn DF in the first place.  The Aurora wiki kinda sucks, and the DF wiki wasn't always around.  If asking questions isn't allowed anymore on this board, I think folks  a few years ago were right about the boards going to hell after DF got a little popular.  Maybe that's why I don't see alot of the old board members around anymore.[/midnight rant]

As far as why missiles need their own missile sensors, I don't know.  But I don't know how it happens in reality, and it doesn't seem too out of place.  Maybe it has something to do with a limit on how much data the missile can read.  Meaning while the system has access to all that sensor data, it needs to be compressed down a bit for the missile to use.  Which I guess could mean some smaller details can get left out.

Or maybe the missile fire control just indicated what the targeting system is able to get a good lock on.  Anything below that resolution is too small to keep locked reliably for missile tracking, even if it knows it's there.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:16:07 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: February 13, 2010, 04:53:35 am »

I go to the wiki tutorial page but I am not seeing all of the buttons it says their should be to set up a game.
what am I doing wrong?
Thank you based dwarf.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: February 13, 2010, 05:20:25 am »

I go to the wiki tutorial page but I am not seeing all of the buttons it says their should be to set up a game.
what am I doing wrong?

Nothing. The aurora wiki is craptastics.

Steve tutorial is easier to follow, and not two version out of date, its written in a conversational style and deviates from the main point overall very useful.

http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=1952

Its not finished, but I found there was then enough to allow myself to understand the game then to experiment to figure out the rest.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: February 13, 2010, 06:20:25 am »

The tutorial on the wiki is, as far as I could tell, directly copied from that thread, with a little bit of structural organization added. It's longwinded, dense, and fairly useless, though it does explain a handful of concepts and menus.

Hmm... Actually, no. That thread appears to be a repost of the first post in an older thread, which was directly copied onto the wiki. O.o

Maybe it contains a few minor modifications, then.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1700 on: February 13, 2010, 06:55:33 am »

And it paints the target with the active grav sensor and it's resolution, so why does the missile fire control also need the active grav sensor and resolution? Why doesn't it look like a fire control?

The active search sensor acquires target data, such as speed, vector, relative location. It feeds this to the fire control system.

The fire control paints the target, which is a military term used currently in laser guidance systems. It means to aim a laser, or in this case an active EM sensor, at the target so that the EM radiation (Or laser light) reflects off the target. This is very different from an active search sensor, which sends out 'pulses' of EM energy and listens for returns to determine what is out there. A missile fire control does not listen for returns, it simply accepts the targeting data, fires a 'beam' of EM energy out to paint the target, and calculates a firing solution for the missile.

When launched, the missile follows the firing solution until it gets close enough to 'see' the coded EM beam bouncing off the target. At that point the onboard missile guidance takes over and follows the painted target until detonation. This is a technique we use today, called Semi-Active Laser Homing.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: February 13, 2010, 07:07:20 am »

The question was why would Fire Control have sensor resolution in its design characteristics if it doesn't use it, technically? I think it's a legitimate question - since Fire Control paints the target using data from the active sensor, it needs no resolution parameter. This would probably be a good question to ask on the Aurora Forums themselves though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1702 on: February 13, 2010, 07:15:47 am »

The question was why would Fire Control have sensor resolution in its design characteristics if it doesn't use it, technically? I think it's a legitimate question - since Fire Control paints the target using data from the active sensor, it needs no resolution parameter. This would probably be a good question to ask on the Aurora Forums themselves though.
Well I'd imagine that anything above resolution zero would be inaccurate in aiming the painting beam at something so small, but that's just a guess. If you ask over there, let us know.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: February 13, 2010, 01:07:12 pm »

I did a while ago, but there are such few people on their forums it takes forever to get a reply, and the one reply i got was form someone who didn't know.....Why does it seem that Bay12'ers know more about games then their dedicated forums???
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 01:19:03 pm by Micro102 »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: February 13, 2010, 01:16:57 pm »

I did a while ago, but there are such few people on their forums it takes forever to get a reply, and the one reply i got was form someone who didn't know.....Why does it sees Bay12'ers know more about games then their dedicated forums???

OFT: Because DF made us awesome.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: February 13, 2010, 01:37:53 pm »

OFT: Because DF made us awesome.

Nope, we are awesome anyway, but it is why we were all drawn to DF...
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: February 13, 2010, 01:53:33 pm »

I'd put it differently - everyone is drawn to DF to some extent, but only the awesome stay.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1707 on: February 13, 2010, 02:14:00 pm »

Because we don't play a game, we understand it. We delve into the core of the gameplay and learn everything we can. I mean look at the Wiki for Dwarf Fortress compared to that for Aurora. It is far and away more complete and helpful, because of us.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: February 13, 2010, 02:48:26 pm »

Don't forget the 12 hour tutorial on youtube  :o

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1709 on: February 13, 2010, 02:52:30 pm »

I mean for armok's sake, we have Dwarven drop troop chutes with cushions made of kitten in some of these forts. Who was it that first discovered dropping a dwarf onto an animal negated falling damage? Because they are AWESOME.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 1347