Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815269 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1680 on: February 12, 2010, 08:26:49 am »

There is a stickied thread in the Academy forum that tries to list used abreviations.

Post your list of unknown terms there, that should help future SF-virgins (for a lack of a better word, no insult intended)
that are trying to play Aurora.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: February 12, 2010, 01:17:17 pm »

sadly those are abbreviations and not vocab.

Parasite - my guess is that it is a ship that leeches of a mother ship's resources.

Box launcher - My guess is something that deploys several missiles or fighters at once.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: February 12, 2010, 01:22:35 pm »

Google Box Launcher:

First page.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: February 12, 2010, 01:30:37 pm »

that's what i figured, but we are talking about reality rejecting elements here.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: February 12, 2010, 01:35:53 pm »

Yes, trans-Newtonian elements/materials, but they're just used to make more advanced versions of the things we already have, and you'd hardly give a weapons system that's completely new the same name as a weapons system that's already in use.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1685 on: February 12, 2010, 01:43:31 pm »

Parasite - my guess is that it is a ship that leeches of a mother ship's resources.

Box launcher - My guess is something that deploys several missiles or fighters at once.
Parasite - Any ship which docks with and relies upon a mothership. A survey vessel which docks to a larger jumpship would be a parasite, as would small short-ranged warships which dock to a larger tanker and maintenance vessel for long range transport.

Box Launcher - Exactly what it sounds like. It's a big box with launch rails, no ammo feed or magazine. What you have in the box is what you can launch. Cannot be reloaded unless you're at a maintenance depot or docked to a mothership. Used on fighters a lot.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: February 12, 2010, 02:36:22 pm »

Parasite - Any ship which docks with and relies upon a mothership. A survey vessel which docks to a larger jumpship would be a parasite, as would small short-ranged warships which dock to a larger tanker and maintenance vessel for long range transport.

Box Launcher - Exactly what it sounds like. It's a big box with launch rails, no ammo feed or magazine. What you have in the box is what you can launch. Cannot be reloaded unless you're at a maintenance depot or docked to a mothership. Used on fighters a lot.

Now there's some useful information  ;)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1687 on: February 12, 2010, 05:02:52 pm »

I've been following this thread for a while. I like this kind of game, but from what I hear you guys saying its just way to nit-picking for me to even try.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: February 12, 2010, 05:09:35 pm »

Yay, my first jump ship (I'm really slow)

Ferry class Jump Tender    12000 tons     1134 Crew     2765 BP      TCS 240  TH 180  EM 0
1000 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 8-46     Shields 0-0     Sensors 2/2/0/0     Damage Control Rating 11     PPV 54
Annual Failure Rate: 104%    IFR: 1.5%    Maint Capacity 2584 MSP    Max Repair 1600 MSP    Est Time: 1.27 Years

J12000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 12000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Ion Engine E8 (4)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 45    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 9.4 billion km   (108 days at full power)

Twin R3/C3 Meson Cannon Turret (6x2)    Range 30,000km     TS: 12000 km/s     Power 6-6     RM 3    ROF 5        1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Fire Control S06 36-12000 (3)    Max Range: 72,000 km   TS: 12000 km/s     86 72 58 44 31 17 3 0 0 0
Gas-Cooled Fast Reactor Technology PB-1 AR-0 (4)     Total Power Output 36    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor S3.96-R1 (1)     GPS 3.96     Range 40k km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH0.5-2 (1)     Sensitivity 2     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  2m km
EM Detection Sensor EM0.5-2.5 (1)     Sensitivity 2.5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  2.5m km

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

And you can bypass the nit-picking by either setting the game to automatically research and build starting ships for you, or cheating and spamming a weak ship until you win.

OMG this is nagging me. When i asked, missile fire control needed an active sensor to go along with it....but it has the same design menu! Why does it need Active grav sensors and resolution on the missile fire control if it needs an active sensor???
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:18:52 pm by Micro102 »

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: February 12, 2010, 07:27:05 pm »

Yay, my first jump ship (I'm really slow)

Active Search Sensor S3.96-R1 (1)     GPS 3.96     Range 40k km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH0.5-2 (1)     Sensitivity 2     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  2m km
EM Detection Sensor EM0.5-2.5 (1)     Sensitivity 2.5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  2.5m km

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

And you can bypass the nit-picking by either setting the game to automatically research and build starting ships for you, or cheating and spamming a weak ship until you win.

OMG this is nagging me. When i asked, missile fire control needed an active sensor to go along with it....but it has the same design menu! Why does it need Active grav sensors and resolution on the missile fire control if it needs an active sensor???

Because the Active sensor paints and see the target?
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: February 12, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »

And it paints the target with the active grav sensor and it's resolution, so why does the missile fire control also need the active grav sensor and resolution? Why doesn't it look like a fire control?

And have you guys had more success with 1 magazine for your carriers, or multiple ones in-case one gets blown up?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: February 12, 2010, 08:12:36 pm »

And it paints the target with the active grav sensor and it's resolution, so why does the missile fire control also need the active grav sensor and resolution? Why doesn't it look like a fire control?

Fire Control is just a system used for acquiring firing solution on known targets, it doesn't garner the information. It still needs the sensor to paint the targets.

And have you guys had more success with 1 magazine for your carriers, or multiple ones in-case one gets blown up?

That depends on what your designing and what your going against, how large your missiles are. An utter play style choice.

And if your magazine explode, it'll defiantly cause secondary explosions if it doesn't eject. So multiple magazine dont have a redundancy issue. 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: February 12, 2010, 08:22:33 pm »

I think you misunderstood about the active sensor. I'm saying why do missile fire controls need resolution if the resolution is already on the active sensor.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: February 12, 2010, 09:15:46 pm »

I think you misunderstood about the active sensor. I'm saying why do missile fire controls need resolution if the resolution is already on the active sensor.

Stupid questions are stupid.

Get a grip. thats how it is live with it or go play something else.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: February 12, 2010, 09:28:12 pm »

Try thinking before you talk. If the question I'm asking has no obvious answer then it is not stupid. Ignore it if you don't want to answer it.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 1347