Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814657 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1530 on: February 09, 2010, 04:29:57 pm »

Hah, I have too much wealth and too much population.  I have 1 Habitable colony other than my homeworld a whole 2 jumps away.  The population is increasing faster than I can shuttle infrastructure to it. And the terraforming is going to take 50 years at the current rate, which is 4 terraforming ships in orbit and a constant flow of 4 freighters hauling in terraforming installations. Removing .19 atm argon and .05 atm methane and then trying to replace that with .25 atm of O2.  It's going to take forever.

In my current game I have a constantly growing fleet of terraformers at 55 strong. And there just now at 1.1 atm annual. The first milestone. Now to get it to 12 atm annual.

What doesn't make sense to me is why the civilians aren't helping.  There is 2 shipping lines, but they just sit around the homeworld doing nothing all the time. Adding contracts does nothing, deleting contracts does nothing, and all the colony ships and liners do is load their max capacity of population and sit in orbit forever.
Yea, I notice that civvies can be terribly fickle. Though once they get going, they do seem to really help.

When you set up contracts it'll take from, for a lack of a better word, government stockpiles, items built from factories.

Civvies are suppose to ship in infrastructure colonists, and trade goods on their own. In my games, their ability to ship in infrastructure, has always been to slow. So I always do that, but colonist and misc. freight the civvie will do it, if given enough time.

They seem to have no work effort.

Also my missile silo PDCs are constantly spamming a lack of fuel.  Which makes no sense.  All they are is 2 size 50 launchers and a size 100 launcher with a barracks and some armor.  No shields, nothing that needs fuel.  While my fighter base PDC which logically would need fuel for it's fighters, never loses any fuel from it's tanks.

Yea, someone else reported a similar issue. My fighter PDC dont complain, and I am still a few months away from missile PDC, so I wonder if I will get the same issue.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 09, 2010, 04:31:53 pm »

Do you have jump gates along the journey? I know civs won't do anything without jump gates.

With civilians being able to do geo reports, I thought they could make use jump engines. I've been told they'll make use of LP in a system.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1532 on: February 09, 2010, 04:38:59 pm »

Oh, well they might make use of jump engines. I never built my civvie ships with jump engines, since every safe area would be gate connected and I didn't want them in unsafe areas.

Without jump engines they won't go anywhere even if you have big enough commercial jump tenders though.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 09, 2010, 04:59:46 pm »

While they don't have jump engines they do have jump gates the whole trip.  And the trip is only 2 jumps Vanheim(home system) -> Rivendell -> Riva(colony system).  Riva is a nebula, but I don't think that should matter much.  And the civ ships are a kinda slow old model, so they can't reach the 833km/s nebula speed limit anyway.

I set up supply and demand contracts a few times for both ends.  There's even another commercial spaceport at Riva, which took alot of doing to make, no dice. Not even the colonists will make the trip.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 09, 2010, 05:08:55 pm »

While they don't have jump engines they do have jump gates the whole trip.  And the trip is only 2 jumps Vanheim(home system) -> Rivendell -> Riva(colony system).  Riva is a nebula, but I don't think that should matter much.  And the civ ships are a kinda slow old model, so they can't reach the 833km/s nebula speed limit anyway.

I set up supply and demand contracts a few times for both ends.  There's even another commercial spaceport at Riva, which took alot of doing to make, no dice. Not even the colonists will make the trip.

Weird.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: February 09, 2010, 05:39:33 pm »

oh crap my bomber squadron seems intent on a suicide run.
how much seconds delay in orders like [go to JP] is there, when no officers are present anymore?
(After launching their missiles, my local CO got shot, and now my squadron is still closing on the precursor stardestroyers without any ammo. And getting peppered with AM missiles all the while.)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: February 09, 2010, 05:45:39 pm »

For the ground units, how do you add more of them? I press the "Add Unit" button and type in a number but it doesnt show a price or progress bar.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: February 09, 2010, 05:52:07 pm »

For the ground units, how do you add more of them? I press the "Add Unit" button and type in a number but it doesnt show a price or progress bar.
You can build them (training centers allowing) in the economy-GU training tab.
click a unit type,
click add task.
it should now be in the training que at te top of the page.
some time later, your unit will complete it's training and tell you it has done so.
(If auto officer assignment is on, an army officer will be instated.)

[[that is outside of SM mode]]

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: February 09, 2010, 05:59:28 pm »

You'll get an estimated completion date.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: February 09, 2010, 06:10:47 pm »

But doesn't that only train their attack and defense? I'm talking about getting more of them, so i can spread some out to other planets.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: February 09, 2010, 06:16:11 pm »

Nope, that actually gives you a new unit.  I don't know how to change their stats.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: February 09, 2010, 06:21:44 pm »

To my knowledge you cant train them like task groups. You can only give them bonuses with commanders and researching the ground combat techs.

Ground combat is very shallow right now, so much so that NPR don't do ground invasions.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:22 pm »

hmm, what would happen if you have a jump drive incapable of transporting the ship it's on?

Also, why isn't my colony cost for mars 0???? I have breathable air, the temperature is within the temperature zone, gravity is fine....WHY?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:49:03 pm by Micro102 »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: February 09, 2010, 07:04:38 pm »

hmm, what would happen if you have a jump drive incapable of transporting the ship it's on?

Also, why isn't my colony cost for mars 0???? I have breathable air, the temperature is within the temperature zone, gravity is fine....WHY?
-nothing, you wouldnt be able to lock the design, nor build it.
-dunno. I suspect you are overlooking a factor.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: February 09, 2010, 07:21:07 pm »

What else is there?

from my system view

Gravity: .3 - 1.7

Oxygen: .12 - .28

Temp. C: 0 - 44

Pressure: Max of 4