Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814520 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1470 on: February 07, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »

The minerals int e game are trans-Newtonian, meaning they bend space and time or something like that...Iron doesn't do that.
So, it's assumed there's always enough of the regular materials for the mundane items? What would you need transnewtonian compounds for in a planetary missile silo?
It is assumed many oldtech stuff were made cheaper/better by using TNmaterials, so new tech doing old applications  better.
The military always gets the new tech first.

plenty of spacegames ignore mundane minerals and only mention a few exotic minerals.
It is just easier to have a few strategic resources. you could rename duranum iron and Osmium he3 etc

Also it is more scifi to have duranium etc. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1471 on: February 07, 2010, 07:09:13 pm »

For everyone mystified about no minerals: get together a skilled (110+) Geology team. It's always a pleasant surprise to find an extra 100k minerals somewhere.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 07, 2010, 07:43:52 pm »

So survey teams are better then geo survey ships huh?

Also, where can i look at the status of my designed technology? It's hard trying to match the tech in fire controls with your missiles and other things.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1473 on: February 07, 2010, 07:53:06 pm »

Geosurvey ships give you data about what was generated there normally. Survey teams randomly generate new stuff until they trigger a flag saying that the place is surveyed out, in which case you can't survey them more. Higher skill means more chance of minerals, but it's totally random - loading a game back to before they surveyed results in totally different results.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 07, 2010, 08:18:43 pm »

So survey teams are better then geo survey ships huh?

Also, where can i look at the status of my designed technology? It's hard trying to match the tech in fire controls with your missiles and other things.

Its not really a matter of better.  You pretty much should do both.

Geo-ships gets all the easy-to-find minerals.  If there are any, if its barren, it pretty much stays barren.  The geo-team is the fine-tune.  They find stuff that the wide-sweeping Geo-ship misses or miscalculated.

Also, I vaguely remember trying to send in a geo-team before doing a geo-ship survey.... kept saying: need survey done.  If my memory serves me right...  its either that or they just never found anything until a geo-ship actually passed by to do the job...

@Paul, bringing in a higher level Geo-team later on, allows you to find more minerals from my experience.

Hmmm then how about this?

Missile Size: 2 MSP  (0.1 HS)     Warhead: 2    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 12
Speed: 12100 km/s    Endurance: 40 minutes   Range: 29.2m km
Cost Per Missile: 0.9542
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 145.2%   3k km/s 48%   5k km/s 29%   10k km/s 14.5%
Materials Required:    0.5x Tritanium   0.2342x Gallicite   Fuel x650

Development Cost for Project: 95RP

Also, whats the limit for oxygen on earth? 30% total atmosphere, or .3 pressure?

I'd recommend better hit rate, but considering the tech level, your speed probably doesn't even get to 2k without some effort.  Try planning your missile hit rate to at least be able to hit your own average combat ship speed decently... more if you have the tech to...  You'll likely be facing stuff with much more speed either way...

Oxygen limit depends on your race's tolerance....  50% is recommended by Steve.

Earth, from my experience starts at .2 Oxygen.  That means. with 50%, the air is breathable only between .1 and .3 Oxygen.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: February 07, 2010, 08:28:14 pm »

My average ship speed is 2k-3k, so I'm good.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 07, 2010, 10:14:52 pm »

Oxygen limit depends on your race's tolerance....  50% is recommended by Steve.

Earth, from my experience starts at .2 Oxygen.  That means. with 50%, the air is breathable only between .1 and .3 Oxygen.

Well fudge, curse my lack of knowledge of atmospheric composition.  Here I was thinking I made a race with higher than average oxygen requirements when it turns out .19 is actually below average.

Time to do some racial tolerances and terraforming SM mode fiddling then...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 07, 2010, 10:17:31 pm »

Started a new game now that I had some idea of what to do.

Hot dang. Convenient features just keep slapping me in the face. Namely, I found I could set ships (namely namely, geosurvey ships) to scan stellar bodies automatically. Guiding those things around asteroids by hand isn't so much fun.

Also, I found out where I could find out where to set geology teams. D'oh.

All in all, I'm finding this to be all kinds of awesome even though I haven't even colonized Mars yet. Which, this time, has minerals.

One question, though. Asteroid miners- How do they work? Do I just move them to asteroids to get them to start harvesting, and once I do that, do they put the minerals in their cargo bays automatically, or are there commands I have to issue for each?
Sounds like someone didn't do the tutorial  :P

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: February 07, 2010, 10:23:16 pm »

Started a new game now that I had some idea of what to do.

Hot dang. Convenient features just keep slapping me in the face. Namely, I found I could set ships (namely namely, geosurvey ships) to scan stellar bodies automatically. Guiding those things around asteroids by hand isn't so much fun.

Also, I found out where I could find out where to set geology teams. D'oh.

All in all, I'm finding this to be all kinds of awesome even though I haven't even colonized Mars yet. Which, this time, has minerals.

One question, though. Asteroid miners- How do they work? Do I just move them to asteroids to get them to start harvesting, and once I do that, do they put the minerals in their cargo bays automatically, or are there commands I have to issue for each?

Astroid miners work by selecting the astroid as a colony, then you send them on over to the astroid, and let them idle.

In the tutorial on the forum, it tells you can set up auto and conditional orders. You can even set up a superior fleet that can give order to its subordinate fleets.

So you can send all your Geo and grav ships into a specialized task force, then highlight and detach, and repeat until all the survey ships are in their own task group.

Then go to the original task group, set up the auto and conditional order, then go to the order tab, and right beside the various check boxes, there a button where you can copy conditional and auto order to subordinate fleets.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 07, 2010, 10:27:46 pm »

would it be wise to put asteroid miners into extended orbit?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 07, 2010, 10:32:03 pm »

would it be wise to put asteroid miners into extended orbit?

Sure?

What do you mean by wise?

The extended orbit operates exactly like giving a move to order with a distance modifier. It has some smaller differences, that I cant tell apart.

An extended orbit, wont place the task group into orbit around the designated place. It'll place it near far, or something. There a small difference here.

Either way, a few thirty day turn increments could probably answer your own questions.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: February 07, 2010, 10:36:02 pm »

I always put my ships that directly work on planets in extended orbit.  it's a 0km extended orbit, but extended orbit nonetheless.  And they all work fine.

In fact until now I thought that they ONLY worked when set in orbit.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: February 07, 2010, 10:39:16 pm »

I always put my ships that directly work on planets in extended orbit.  it's a 0km extended orbit, but extended orbit nonetheless.  And they all work fine.

In fact until now I thought that they ONLY worked when set in orbit.

When I first started using the command it was just called orbit, and I left the distance modifier alone and used move to and orbit interchangeably trying to decipher a difference. Until I wanted to refit a fleet, and I order them to 'orbit earth', instead of 'move to earth', which in 4.8 I think meant they werent in actual orbit. Havent used the command since that confusion was cleared up, until I know what the difference between between orbit and move to, are, which I think there is. Or there was.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 07, 2010, 10:51:18 pm »

I thought extended orbit meant you saved fuel or something.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: February 07, 2010, 10:54:38 pm »

I thought extended orbit meant you saved fuel or something.

Ships dont expend fuel when stationary.

Missiles and Buoys do.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 1347