Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814652 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1440 on: February 06, 2010, 03:37:21 pm »

Yea I agree with that.  I would rather have the NPRs follow the same rules I do than handwave the fight away.

Another 4x game called Sword Of the Stars has that problem.  Unless you are involved in it you can only see one AI vs AI fight per turn (when there could easily be 3 or 4.)  The fights you watch play out sensibly.  But the fights you aren't watching any crazy thing could happen.

One of my Liir (space dolphins) allies managed to somehow lose an entire colony to one tarka(Samurai space lizards) destroyer when the fight was handwaved away.  When I know for a fact that the planetary ICBMs that even low level undefended colonies launch would have easily destroyed the tarka ship before it even got into firing range if I was actually watching the fight.

Those kinda things drive me mad.  At least from what I saw so far AI vs AI fights here manage to figure themselves out pretty quick unless it's massive fleet vs massive fleet. So far the only really long extended 5s chain I encountered was precursors trying to shoot missiles at one of my survey ships in a nebula.  Which is more of a bug than anything else.  If it was working properly, time would have progressed normally until my ship either noticed the precursors or it got blown away.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1441 on: February 06, 2010, 03:42:41 pm »

Heh, thats one of the main reasons I stopped playing SOTS. It's a great game, but the autocalc for battles you don't watch can be really wonky.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 06, 2010, 03:54:38 pm »

Ok how do you adjust them to be friends? I'm gonna regret this later but  I can't stand the infinite "fighting".

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: February 06, 2010, 04:22:26 pm »

Okay, you got to the window. Now select your desired adnub. Then select the planet name (not the part where it says unassigned) then press assign in the bottom right hand screen.

There wont be any boxes saying you've done shit, now the planet should still be selected in the officer history window, it should say the admin name in the box.

Now this is the problem. The said button doesn't appear, even with ResizeEnable and sDesk. I'll just have to wait until I get my gaming desktop to play this game then. Thanks for your help.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: February 06, 2010, 08:51:51 pm »

Ok how do you adjust them to be friends? I'm gonna regret this later but  I can't stand the infinite "fighting".
I said this a few pages back, but again.
1. Enable SM mode
2. Go to events, click "Combat only"
3. Click one of the names appearing there
4. You should be teleported to where they are.
5. Go into their alien diplomacy screen and change their relationship to a positive number like 2000.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: February 06, 2010, 09:00:09 pm »

I know you said it but i could not find it sry.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 06, 2010, 10:14:32 pm »

I don't get it, if surface temperature increases then shouldn't base temperature as well?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: February 06, 2010, 10:17:26 pm »

So I asked this on page seven, and now that this had had more attention, I ask again.

Is there any danger to my computer if I install this correctly? Does it affect my computer in any other way?

What happens if I screw up with whichever files it asks me to keep?

And finally, can I uninstall Aurora to fix said issues?

Thanks in advance.

In the near hundred pages of this thread, and the aurora forum itself, no one spoken of issues caused by installing the game.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1448 on: February 06, 2010, 10:17:46 pm »

Nope, the dll files are just standard Microsoft library stuff. I don't know what happens if you accidentally press "No to all" but probably nothing.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: February 06, 2010, 10:45:42 pm »

Don't listen to them, they forgot about the poor guy who had his screen all messed up when he presses "No to all"

All you have to worry about is when it brings up all those "Yes""No""No to all" things....ALWAYS PICK YES!

Otherwise who knows what will happen to your computer.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: February 06, 2010, 11:03:16 pm »

Don't listen to them, they forgot about the poor guy who had his screen all messed up when he presses "No to all"

All you have to worry about is when it brings up all those "Yes""No""No to all" things....ALWAYS PICK YES!

Otherwise who knows what will happen to your computer.

Well, who?

And if so, its an anomaly.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: February 06, 2010, 11:44:50 pm »

Areyar, second page (that was easy to find  ;D)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1452 on: February 07, 2010, 03:21:06 am »

The mineral generation is random. Check Venus - it seems to always have minerals, sometimes huge amounts. Mercury is also a good candidate, as is Titan and Callisto.

Yep it is very random. I've had one game where there were no deposits above 200,000 on any of the planets/moons and one where all of the inner system bodies had no minerals.

This is where your geology teams come in useful, as they will usually find several hundred thousands of assorted minerals in the inner system alone, which can give you the boost you need to get out of the Sol system. You will want to use the highest skill team you can though, as according to the mechanics as far as I understand them, the lower the skill of a team, the less chance of finding a deposit on each check. In addition the lower the skill of the team, the higher the chance the body will be surveyed-out when the each check is made or after a deposit is found. For best results you want a team above 120-140.

Yea I agree with that.  I would rather have the NPRs follow the same rules I do than handwave the fight away.

Another 4x game called Sword Of the Stars has that problem.  Unless you are involved in it you can only see one AI vs AI fight per turn (when there could easily be 3 or 4.)  The fights you watch play out sensibly.  But the fights you aren't watching any crazy thing could happen.

One of my Liir (space dolphins) allies managed to somehow lose an entire colony to one tarka(Samurai space lizards) destroyer when the fight was handwaved away.  When I know for a fact that the planetary ICBMs that even low level undefended colonies launch would have easily destroyed the tarka ship before it even got into firing range if I was actually watching the fight.

The other thing that crops up in SOtS and would likely crop up in aurora if combat between AI's was abstracted, is that optimal ship designs can be significantly different between abstracted and actual combat. In a game like aurora where small changes in design make a big difference this could be exacerbated.

I don't get it, if surface temperature increases then shouldn't base temperature as well?

Nope, base temperature is what you have with no atmosphere present. It is based on distance of the body from the star and the temperature of the star. Surface temperature is the temperature after the effects of the atmosphere/hydrosphere are figured in.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: February 07, 2010, 03:29:46 am »

In addition the lower the skill of the team, the higher the chance the body will be surveyed-out when the each check is made or after a deposit is found.

So wait.  The actual final amount of resources that exist on the planet are determined by who you send to inspect it?  I HATE that mechanic.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: February 07, 2010, 04:58:04 am »

In addition the lower the skill of the team, the higher the chance the body will be surveyed-out when the each check is made or after a deposit is found.

So wait.  The actual final amount of resources that exist on the planet are determined by who you send to inspect it?  I HATE that mechanic.

Actually, the survey team only searches for "more" minerals. A geosurvey ship gives a pretty accurate reading. A "barren" planet (mineralwise) might yield a few resources after inspection, but it won't turn it into a profitable planet. A bit of an "odd" mechanic, aye, but I won't complain if it gives me more Duranium! ;)
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 1347