Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815065 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1290 on: February 03, 2010, 12:09:42 am »

They actually don't even have to be on the same side. Just have your jump tender go to the jp and stay there, and order other ships to transit.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 03, 2010, 12:15:56 am »

They actually don't even have to be on the same side. Just have your jump tender go to the jp and stay there, and order other ships to transit.

Its the combat transit order when it doesn't do this cheat right, where it'll follow the transit rules anally.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: February 03, 2010, 07:27:15 am »

I finally get my very own jump ship and the first jump point leads to Barnards Star. What are the odds that there is something there waiting to kill me. At least I gave it some armor.

If you didn't mess with the NPR generation when you generated the game, then its 30%.

Actually it is more.
depending on having left the precursors box checked and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
finally add number of NPRs you started with divided by max number of systems.

chances are pretty good you are going to encounter something cosmic. ;) 
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 03, 2010, 08:23:50 am »

To make an espionage team, do i have to use up my commanders? Does this mean that my battalions and stuff will lose their commanders?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:51 am »

Are you ever going to answer any of my questions correctly?

"Correctly"?

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that anyone here owes you anything, let alone answers to fifty questions a day.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 03, 2010, 08:47:24 am »

You do need to use up your commanders to create espionage teams, as you do for Geology teams - either the surveyors get to pilot ships, or sit on the Task Force, or to join teams.

Another Naval College / Academy will supply another 5 graduates / year.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 03, 2010, 09:22:24 am »

Anyone know what increases the number of scientists/administrators that finish from the university?
I'm swamped in diseased scientists, but am sorely lacking in professional guidance for my coonies.
(heh typo, but also a pun I think. Isn't coonies slang for colonials? May be mistaken with the boonies, which is slag for backwater/wilderness, I think.)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 03, 2010, 10:34:56 am »

More military academies will give you more graduates, which includes scientists and administrators.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:14 am »

The cheating way is to just go into SM mode, unlock the design, and make the modifications.  Then all ships of that class will magically obtain the changes for free.

Does this work? I tried it and the Ship screen updated but the actual ship is still moving at the old speed.
*snip*

Thanks.

Make sure you go into the task force screen for it and click the max button near the top.  They will never reduce speed unless forced to.  But they will also never increase speed unless told to.  The max button tells them to go at max speed.

I have some really annoying nebula right next to my home system that reduce most of my ships down to 822km/s when they travel through it.   When they exit it they stay at 822 km/s until I either set their speed back to max manually, or I had extra space in their conditionals and gave them a "if speed is /= max  Switch to maximum speed".
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 03, 2010, 11:08:07 am »

I think this design class exploit has been addressed by Steve in v4.9+

currently playing 4.92 and accidentally deleted the drive from my corvettes, only noticed after nine were built, so I decided to cheat a little and add the drive to the class.
the ships that were completed before the 'class update' remained as they were eventhough their classname naturally was the same. By looking at the individual ships (via the green ship icon) you can see that they are still of the old design.

You can fix them by refitting them in a shipyard to the new design.
This throws several errors because the classes are supposedly identical, but at the next production cycle your ships will be refitted to the new standard.

Don't know if the cost/time will be 0 for ships that are made much more expensive, that would be cheatin anyhow.

----

I started in a class 7 nebula in my last game, was pretty much flying around in solid lumps of duranium. half my adjacent systems were nebula too. Most annoyingly there were barely any planets around. (only 2 in my homesystem) also protostars burn !!HOT!!

just add armour to your ships and they will be able to move faster AND survive random encounters with NPR scouts.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: February 03, 2010, 11:38:01 am »

I raised the random NPR chance to 70% and started as a conventional empire. Didn't realize that every other alien race would be Trans-Newtonian. So now the other starting NPR has found probably 7 other races and they're all dicking around in their fancy space suits while I'm stuck on earth with missile silos. To even out the lag that comes from them fighting in their fancy sequined space suits, I made it so that each time I detect lag, I go into SM mode, jump to one of the aliens, and change their relationship to 120 or something. I'm guessing this would be super bad for me in the future when the entire galaxy is allied against me but.... meh.

It would make sense, since I'm playing the 5th Reich.

Gonna be fun.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: February 03, 2010, 11:47:58 am »

Odd I just did that to one of my tug designs sitting around my homeworld to check and the tug in orbit magically obtained the high tech engine.

What I thought 4.9 did was automatically lock a design once queued to be built and allow only SM mode to unlock it.

And yea I know about armor letting ships go faster in nebula, my military ships aren't bothered by them at all.  It's just my survey ships and freighters that have issues with them.  They'll never outrun precursors or star swarm at any rate, and the only NPR(I think it's an actual npr no active contact yet) I found doesn't seem to be able to reach 800 km/s in open space anyway.  Fastest I saw it go was 750 ish.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 03, 2010, 12:14:27 pm »

Are you ever going to answer any of my questions correctly?

"Correctly"?

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that anyone here owes you anything, let alone answers to fifty questions a day.

Yeh i saw that post coming...Noone owes me anything, but noone needs to pay any attention to my questions either, and certianly doesn't need to make sarcastic remarks on them.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 03, 2010, 01:51:14 pm »

Odd I just did that to one of my tug designs sitting around my homeworld to check and the tug in orbit magically obtained the high tech engine.

What I thought 4.9 did was automatically lock a design once queued to be built and allow only SM mode to unlock it.
You can also still unlock the unlock button by clicking the update button.
The design is also locked once a shipyard is retooled for it.

I am certain that half my taskforce had no fueltanks. kinda hard to miss... (fuel was at N/A).

Wow <500 km/s ? I have only encountered hyperactive 2Mm/s freaks so far. My sensors and tracking tech are ruinously expensive. :p
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:58:45 pm by Areyar »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 03, 2010, 03:28:12 pm »

I've never found a slow NPR either.

The last NPR I fought had all its ships going 10,000km/s and was firing big 40 point warhead 80,000 km/s missiles at me.

I was pretty far along technology-wise before I found it, though - otherwise I would've been slaughtered.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 1347