Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815115 times)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1275 on: February 02, 2010, 11:05:27 pm »

I guess I really just need to try this game.  It's not what I'm looking for, but I doubt I'll ever get it.  A 3d space game with realistic, non-segregated systems, is just too much to comprehend apparently.  :(

I came across a space mmo like this not to long ago.  Fly from space to a planet without a load screen.

Is that Infinity you're thinking about? I'm really looking forward to it too. Too bad even an alpha is an indeterminate amount of time away...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: February 02, 2010, 11:06:40 pm »

Like stargate except without the dial, they only go one place.   Though I imagine if anybody bothered it wouldn't be too out of place canonwise to have a really high tech jump gate constructor able to build a dial system to access nearby systems.

As for Cowboy Bebop gates I only have vague memories of them.  I haven't seen the show in ages.  I figured they were construction that catapulted ya into a jump gate, but my memory was fuzzy, and now that I think about it I think it was actually hyperspace and not a jump.  The hyperspace just looked too much like freespace subspace to me, which reminded me of freespace and got me to cite that as a better example.

Oh well.   I still like my freespace example.

So they're actually not any more like Stargate than any other game with static structures/areas in space that you send ships through to get to other static structures/areas in space. :P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:10:03 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 02, 2010, 11:10:52 pm »

I have never watched star wars or star trek, and Homeworld has hyper drives, like a portable jump gate.

No, Homeworld has hyper drives, like hyper drives.  Like Star Wars, or any of the other things I mentioned.  They don't have star gates, they have hyper drives.  There's a huge difference between a static object you have to send all your ships through to get to another static object in a different area of space and being able to move faster than light from one point in space to another of your choosing.

hmmm sry my wording was wrong, i don't think it's realistic to be able to move between systems with speed alone.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: February 02, 2010, 11:15:15 pm »

So they're actually not any more like Stargate than any other game with static structures/areas in space that you send ships through to get to other static structures/areas in space. :P

Bah, quiet you and yer perfectly reasonable logic, yer making my brain hurt. :P

Just ignore everything I said outside the parenthesis then.  

Crud.  Even now I'm thinking about how it's not like freespace gates either because although freespace gates were static and only going one place they had travel time, while Aurora ones do not.

(Dammit now I want Aurora subspace fights.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:20:46 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 02, 2010, 11:15:22 pm »

The hyper gates in cowboy beebop changed einstienian matter into near massless particles that travel really damn fast that were none interactive with einstienian matter. They explain that in the episode with the eco terrorist to release the retrograde evo virus and turn peeples into monkies.

The LP in Aurora are much closer to what Beebop did. The gate system here in aurora is much closer to Babylon five then stargate.

Though with how the phyics work, stargates from SG-1, could work here. And be a neat way to transfer trade goods and civvies to and from planets.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: February 02, 2010, 11:18:12 pm »

Ok how do i spy on the Civ? I would like to avoid another accident. I have like, no information on them.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 02, 2010, 11:22:09 pm »

Ok how do i spy on the Civ? I would like to avoid another accident. I have like, no information on them.

Not very well apparently.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: February 02, 2010, 11:28:05 pm »

Are you ever going to answer any of my questions correctly?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 02, 2010, 11:31:44 pm »

I have never watched star wars or star trek, and Homeworld has hyper drives, like a portable jump gate.

No, Homeworld has hyper drives, like hyper drives.  Like Star Wars, or any of the other things I mentioned.  They don't have star gates, they have hyper drives.  There's a huge difference between a static object you have to send all your ships through to get to another static object in a different area of space and being able to move faster than light from one point in space to another of your choosing.

hmmm sry my wording was wrong, i don't think it's realistic to be able to move between systems with speed alone.

And gates floating statically in space that instantly teleport you to another gate are realistic? ::)

Moving with 'speed alone' is about the only thing that is realistic as far as our knowledge of physics goes.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1284 on: February 02, 2010, 11:39:06 pm »

I finally get my very own jump ship and the first jump point leads to Barnards Star. What are the odds that there is something there waiting to kill me. At least I gave it some armor.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 02, 2010, 11:41:25 pm »

Are you ever going to answer any of my questions correctly?

I've answer a lot of your questions. A lot of questions that could be answer with little experimentation and lot of questions that can't be answered. Like is this ship good? When the ship and pdc design is context based on what your facing and how you like to play.

Have you landed geo teams or xenology teams? Are espionage teams teams as well? What does other team need in order to work?

Well, Xenology teams and Geo teams need colonies in order to work. Diplomacy teams need contact with the alien race then appointed to work with the aliens.  If you bothered to look at the team/academy tab, you'll notice an espionage target window. Maybe that works with espionage team? OH NOES ITS BLANK!

So you need to make contact or a colony to get the other teams to work. Two options to get a team to work. Its not a lot options here. Not a lot to poke around with.

So can you assign a diplo team to the alien race? Is the espionage target window still blank?

Did you try making a colony to sent the espionage team to or to see if just merely having the colony marked is enough for the espionage target to get a selection?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:56 pm »

I finally get my very own jump ship and the first jump point leads to Barnards Star. What are the odds that there is something there waiting to kill me. At least I gave it some armor.

If you didn't mess with the NPR generation when you generated the game, then its 30%.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 02, 2010, 11:52:40 pm »

Civilian colony ships will. That's what was annoying me.

Go to the Economic (F2) screen. On the left select the planet you want to stop colonists being transported to. Select the Civ/Ind Status Tab. On the bottom left of the main screen change the planet from a 'Destination for Colonists' to 'Source for Colonists'. See if that stops it.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1288 on: February 02, 2010, 11:55:27 pm »

The cheating way is to just go into SM mode, unlock the design, and make the modifications.  Then all ships of that class will magically obtain the changes for free.

Does this work? I tried it and the Ship screen updated but the actual ship is still moving at the old speed.

Also how do you get a jump ship to tow another ship through with it? Do they have to be in a combined fleet?

Thanks.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: February 03, 2010, 12:02:23 am »

The cheating way is to just go into SM mode, unlock the design, and make the modifications.  Then all ships of that class will magically obtain the changes for free.

Does this work? I tried it and the Ship screen updated but the actual ship is still moving at the old speed.

Also how do you get a jump ship to tow another ship through with it? Do they have to be in a combined fleet?

Thanks.

They need to be on the same side of as the transiting fleet, and will do so automatically from my understanding.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 1347