Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815203 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1260 on: February 02, 2010, 08:31:24 pm »

Well then why did i keep getting the message "your PDC has run out of fuel" over and over my last game?

Just for clarafication, ships don't need to be in orbit of a planet to bombard it right?

I put 10 layers of armor on my PDC, should i be expecting bigger resistance?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: February 02, 2010, 08:40:10 pm »

Just for clarafication, ships don't need to be in orbit of a planet to bombard it right?

That depends on the range of your missiles and targeting solutions. So you might have to. You might not.

I put 10 layers of armor on my PDC, should i be expecting bigger resistance?

Sure?

The NPR are randomly generated, with random load out and ships.

They may be to heavily armor as the NPR only uses size one war heads. Or they might be woefully underamor, as they use torpedos, and size 50 war heads.

Like with ships, there are no correct designs or best designs. There can be better designs, but it really depends on what you are facing and how you play. the PDC I posted dont have ten lays of armor, but I am hoping the AMM and meson area defense will be sufficient and I wont need to worry about.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:41:44 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 02, 2010, 09:04:25 pm »

Well then why did i keep getting the message "your PDC has run out of fuel" over and over my last game?

hmm strange.
Did it have shields or energyweapons?
powerplants also have fuel efficiency, I don't think that relates to engines because when you design those you need to designate the efficiency again.
So was probably wrong: for a meson/laser armed PDC, you need a powerplant and a powerplant needs fuel. (I would have thought it just used fuel from the planetary stock though. Did you build this PDC on a planet without fuel refineries/stocks?)   
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: February 02, 2010, 09:07:53 pm »

hmm strange.
Did it have shields or energyweapons?
powerplants also have fuel efficiency, I don't think that relates to engines because when you design those you need to designate the efficiency again.
So was probably wrong: for a meson/laser armed PDC, you need a powerplant and a powerplant needs fuel. (I would have thought it just used fuel from the planetary stock though. Did you build this PDC on a planet without fuel refineries/stocks?)   

I dont think power plants need fuel, if they did there should be a liter require of per day like with shields.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #1264 on: February 02, 2010, 09:30:43 pm »

This is probably incredibly obvious, but the tutorial didn't explain so...

1.  How do I use the jump-gates?  I followed the tutorial, designed and researched a gravitational survey ship, and had it running automated rounds.  It found a jump-gate, and I'd like to send my mini-military-fleet (a couple of the fighters the tutorial has you build) through to scout out the new area, but I can't figure out how to use it.  From what I understand, I either need ships with some kind of special engine/drive to go through them, or a ship that can be used to send other ships through them...  And is there a way to view the destination of the jump without going through it?

2.  My geographical survey ships found a pretty resource-rich meteorite right next to "Earth".  How would I go about building mines on it?  For that matter, how would I go about building anything that isn't a ship, anywhere?

Thanks.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: February 02, 2010, 09:36:06 pm »

1.  How do I use the jump-gates?  I followed the tutorial, designed and researched a gravitational survey ship, and had it running automated rounds.  It found a jump-gate, and I'd like to send my mini-military-fleet (a couple of the fighters the tutorial has you build) through to scout out the new area, but I can't figure out how to use it.  From what I understand, I either need ships with some kind of special engine/drive to go through them, or a ship that can be used to send other ships through them...  And is there a way to view the destination of the jump without going through it?
You issue a transit command through the jump gate from the task group order tab.

2.  My geographical survey ships found a pretty resource-rich meteorite right next to "Earth".  How would I go about building mines on it? 

You go to the geo survey button along the top, click on the astroid, then click colony. Then you can use astriod mining ships, automated mines and cargo ships to hull the mineral back or mass driver to send it back.

For that matter, how would I go about building anything that isn't a ship, anywhere?

Thanks.

Anything that isn't a ship, fighter or missiles are built at the construction factory, under the industry tab. Fighter are built under the industry with fighter factories. Missiles are built at the ordnance factories. 

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: February 02, 2010, 09:41:33 pm »

For some reason reading about this game makes me want to play Space Empires 5, though really, I rather play a game that doesn't exist and has a contiguous universe without these silly boxed in systems need for jump points.  Like Sins of a Solar Empire was originally going to be before they decided to make it into a generic RTS with space graphics and an unusual yet dumbed down from most games base building mechanic.

It's kind of funny no one complains about that game anywhere near as much as Spore.  I mean, I don't remember ever seeing anyone complain about how it could have been.  Maybe I just imagined the early information on it.

But it wouldn't make sense if you didn't need jump gates. It would take hundreds of years traveling to another system without some way to travel faster then light. And if the universe and systems were closer together the combined mass would replicate the big bang  :-\

Good grief Micro, do you know anything at all about pop culture? :D  Seriously, think for a second before you post something. :P Star Wars, Star Trek, Homeworld, hell even the X series and EVE have ways of bypassing the need for jumpgates.  I was under the impression that Elite didn't have jumpgates, though I could be confused.  Space rangers had clearly segregated systems but no jump gates.  SoaSE, SotS, GC, all 4Xgames with no jumpgates.

And Sean... Just because something is rare doesn't make it good.  Ebola is rare. :P

I guess I really just need to try this game.  It's not what I'm looking for, but I doubt I'll ever get it.  A 3d space game with realistic, non-segregated systems, is just too much to comprehend apparently.  :(
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: February 02, 2010, 09:54:40 pm »

I guess I really just need to try this game.  It's not what I'm looking for, but I doubt I'll ever get it.  A 3d space game with realistic, non-segregated systems, is just too much to comprehend apparently.  :(

I came across a space mmo like this not to long ago.  Fly from space to a planet without a load screen.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:20 pm »

Oh and to answer your previous question about having to be in orbit I don't think so.  I think you can fire on a colony from anywhere within yer range.

Though if you designed planet buster missiles (I think they are mentioned someplace) with 0 endurance those can only be used from orbit.  But not needing engines fuel and agility makes them pack a hell of a wallop at any tech level.  *insert evil grin here*
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: February 02, 2010, 10:06:35 pm »

2.  My geographical survey ships found a pretty resource-rich meteorite right next to "Earth".  How would I go about building mines on it?  For that matter, how would I go about building anything that isn't a ship, anywhere?

Thanks.

First: you are asking about jumpgates and judging from your question you are actually asking about jumppoints.

jumppoints: areas in space that nallow ships with a JUMP engine to TRANSIT to another system.
jumpgates: technological constructs on top of a JP that allows any ship to pass, no jumpengines needed.

Assuming you have a JP, not a JG, you need to design a jump engine big enough for your needs, build a ship using it and send it across.

No, jumpways cross space (if not time) and link random systems together, no way of knowing where they go before you get there.

mining colony: you can also just assign a cargoship to load (auto)mines on Earth and then unload them at asteroid#. (asteroids etal are hidden by default, check its box)

Be careful with massdrivers: make sure to load only as much as you need. (orders to load 0 will load as many as will fit in the holds)

You can build prefab Stuff in the industry tab, still either population or an engineers corps is needed for assembling it on-site. installations can be build onsite or on-terra and moved.
(engineers take 5 battalions troop capacity per squad!)

All construction is ordered through the interface under the industry tab of the economy window.
Select from the pulldown Installations/missiles/shipparts/fighters/PDC-stuff, then select your item, the number of units wanted and the percentage of your capacity to assign to it.
fighter production is done by fighter factories, missiles by ordnance factories and all the rest (besides ships) by the construction factories.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: February 02, 2010, 10:21:21 pm »

I have never watched star wars or star trek, and Homeworld has hyper drives, like a portable jump gate.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: February 02, 2010, 10:45:24 pm »

I have never watched star wars or star trek, and Homeworld has hyper drives, like a portable jump gate.

No, Homeworld has hyper drives, like hyper drives.  Like Star Wars, or any of the other things I mentioned.  They don't have star gates, they have hyper drives.  There's a huge difference between a static object you have to send all your ships through to get to another static object in a different area of space and being able to move faster than light from one point in space to another of your choosing.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 02, 2010, 10:49:18 pm »

Aurora has more of a Stargate-esque system.

Or Cowboy Bebop I think if anybody saw that back in the day.  Though I think those were all 100% manmade.

(Or Freespace if anyone played that.   In fact pretty much exactly like freespace, just without the mini in system jumps that everything could do.  A normal jump point requires jump engines, which small ships like fighters didn't have for most of the first game.  A constructed jump gate is like a knossos portal, except instead of stabilizing a weak jump point it allows any ship to transit it.) 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:53:33 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 02, 2010, 10:51:34 pm »

Aurora has more of a Stargate-esque system.

Or Cowboy Bebop I think if anybody saw that back in the day.  Though I think those were all 100% manmade.

What were Cowboy Bebop's gates like?  I'm pretty sure they never explained how they worked at least in a relevent way to this.  All I remember is that they catapult you into hyperspace, allowing you to get to another gate much faster than would normally be possible nothing about whether you could choose where you went.

So if it's like SG does that mean you can warp from any one gate to any other gate?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:53:10 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: February 02, 2010, 10:58:16 pm »

Like stargate except without the dial, they only go one place.   Though I imagine if anybody bothered it wouldn't be too out of place canonwise to have a really high tech jump gate constructor able to build a dial system to access nearby systems.

As for Cowboy Bebop gates I only have vague memories of them.  I haven't seen the show in ages.  I figured they were construction that catapulted ya into a jump gate, but my memory was fuzzy, and now that I think about it I think it was actually hyperspace and not a jump.  The hyperspace just looked too much like freespace subspace to me, which reminded me of freespace and got me to cite that as a better example.

Oh well.   I still like my freespace example.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:03:40 pm by Greiger »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 1347