Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815704 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1170 on: February 01, 2010, 04:20:38 am »

So, I learned that Guass weapons dont do a damn in an atomosphere so I built this thing!

Code: [Select]
Fighter Base Mk2 (Planet Side) class Fighter Base    61700 tons     5205 Crew     10757 BP      TCS 1234  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 9-139     Sensors 1/800     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 690
Hangar Deck Capacity 6000 tons     Troop Capacity: 1 Battalion   

PDC Meson Quad Turret (30x4)    Range 15,000km     TS: 16000 km/s     Power 12-16     RM 1.5    ROF 5        1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
PDC Meson FC (6)    Max Range: 96,000 km   TS: 16000 km/s     90 79 69 58 48 38 27 17 6 0
PDC Reactor (2)     Total Power Output 369.6    Armour 1    Exp 7%

PDC FTR Active Search Sensor S800-R10 (70%) (1)     GPS 8000     Range 80.0m km    Resolution 10
PDC AMM Active Search Sensor S800-R1 (70%) (1)     GPS 800     Range 8.0m km    Resolution 1
PDC 5K Active Search Sensor S800-R100 (70%) (2)     GPS 80000     Range 800.0m km    Resolution 100

Strike Group
10x Viper Fighter   Speed: 5425 km/s    Size: 9.4

This design is classed as a Planetary Defence Centre and can be pre-fabricated in 25 sections
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 01, 2010, 04:55:33 am »

The edit button is your friend.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 01, 2010, 05:09:37 am »

No its not. The forum doesn't like multiple code boxes, and has a really short character limit.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1173 on: February 01, 2010, 05:12:51 am »

Longer range than planetary sensors? Ha! My planetary sensors are strength 83266, which means they could detect a size 1 thermal contact out to 83,266,000km. Anything so much as sneezes in my solar system and I have a thermal contact.

(Building multiple sensor bases increases the range - I have 20 on earth and at least one planet in every sector I have a presence - debating bringing it up to 30 just for overkill).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 01, 2010, 05:14:25 am »

Longer range than planetary sensors? Ha! My planetary sensors are strength 83266, which means they could detect a size 1 thermal contact out to 83,266,000km. Anything so much as sneezes in my solar system and I have a thermal contact.

(Building multiple sensor bases increases the range - I have 20 on earth and at least one planet in every sector I have a presence - debating bringing it up to 30 just for overkill).

I have 22, and with my current I can see out to saturn.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 01, 2010, 08:33:10 am »

Why don't you use the search option on the Auroraforum to find some answers for yourself for a change Micro?  :(

1) these forums are faster

2) i tried, and recieved mediocre answers, half of which are "read the tutorial" which i have already read and looked up the wiki on...

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 01, 2010, 08:56:40 am »

My second game has just hit a turning point.

I have found the only other race in the game (I think - I turned off precursors and spawning NPRs, so that they didnt have fun fighting and slow down my game).  I am guessing it is their home world, seems to have all the minerals, and have Ground Units and Shipyards.  But no ships apparently.  Havent seen a single one.  Maybe there all off somewhere surveying.  Their system does have a Jump Gate to another system, and one back, so perhaps they are somewhere near?

Anyway, the real problem is now the economy.  Classic novice 4X mistake, over expanded and crashed it.  The only other game I play, apart from DF, is Civ, so I had an quick look at the Aurora set up:

Population is needed for all installations, but on Earth, you start with an excess.

Research is capped by the number of labs, or the number of labs your scientists can use, but physical labs are usually the cap.

Shipyards etc need pop, but first you need to build them.

Mines, mass drivers etc just get built.

So I concluded that factory production is the main limit, and so I set out to always produce factories, up to 50% of industry for the last period.  Combined with researching industrial efficiency, I have now over doubled my Earth based production capacity.  And just avoided running into the red.  With 3/5 of the shipyards busy, all factories busy, and reseach on full, I run a 700 odd deficiet  (1250 income vs 2000 expenses).

So while I should be arming myself, I have had to scale back research and production to stay in the black.  I have some production focussed on Financial Centres, but they only contribute 55 odd to the total, and I have 40 already, so I cant see them making up the 700 shortfall.

Most of my money comes from population, so this got me thinking, perhaps I need to expand my pop?

A colony grows by 10% per year, far faster than I can apparently expand the economy uses Financial Centres, so perhaps I should be spamming small colonies everywhere, shipping a handfull of colonists and infrastructure, and letting the Civvies do the rest?  Past the initial set up costs, expansion is at zero cost to me, and even then generates trade and tax.

Commcercial Ports are also an option, although I may have to ship them from earth, rather than build then on location.  Again though, shipping the factories and minerals is also an option.

Anyone got any thoughts, especially those reporting millions of dorfbucks in cash?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:58:25 am by JimiD »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 01, 2010, 10:11:06 am »

That big SD ship...
it has two size 100 missilelaunchers, but no size one hundred rockets in stock.
Also the launcher has a rof of 600, which is like every ten minutes?
So even if the size 14 and clusterrockets can be fired from the s100tubes, it will mostly function as a collier.

Add some extra dedicated tubes that are faster, small tubes are not that big and have much higher ROF, you can easilly stuff 20 S4 launchers on a single MFC for a nice alfastrike.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 01, 2010, 10:48:00 am »

*snip*
Most of my money comes from population, so this got me thinking, perhaps I need to expand my pop?

A colony grows by 10% per year, far faster than I can apparently expand the economy uses Financial Centres, so perhaps I should be spamming small colonies everywhere, shipping a handfull of colonists and infrastructure, and letting the Civvies do the rest?  Past the initial set up costs, expansion is at zero cost to me, and even then generates trade and tax.

Commcercial Ports are also an option, although I may have to ship them from earth, rather than build then on location.  Again though, shipping the factories and minerals is also an option.

Anyone got any thoughts, especially those reporting millions of dorfbucks in cash?

Its not as simple as you make it out....  Colonies need to constantly be added infrastructure. if you want to keep expanding if you don't terraform.  Doesn't matter that your pop keeps growing... it literally hits a brick wall after a certain point, if you don't keep expanding infrastructure and/or don't terraform the planet.

If you are going long-term, investing in terraformers is the way to go.  Infrastructure could be reused on a different planet after you are done terraforming it to homeworld-like

Trade doesn't begin till the colony grows a certain point... it varies due to the colony cost.  Harsher worlds would have 100% of the people on agriculture... which means no workers for trade goods and manufacturing/terraforming/everything else... until you terraform it with ships...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 01, 2010, 11:04:26 am »

I understand that I need infrastructure to expand the colony, but the Civilian Shipping Lines will supply Infrastructure from the civillisn market, at least they have been for Mars so far, which although I am Terraforming is still at cost 2.0.

Perhaps I will get a chance to experiment tonight.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 01, 2010, 11:14:24 am »

Oxygen, temperature and gravity... and probably one more I forgot about.
It takes a lot of time for terraforming to bring results.  Supposed to be years actually...

Civilian shipping lines tend to ship civilian infrastructure after the colony grows to a certain point....  from my experience...  Its a hassle to get to that point with higher colony cost planets...

Mercury... or was it Venus?   Actually both... need tons more infrastructure to fit the same population amount...   my experience:  2m population to Mars' 20m-ish pop...  (Don't remember actual numbers....  Its probably worse...)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 01, 2010, 11:19:25 am »

Do meson guns really function on PDCs on planets with an atmosphere? I'm skeptical, since the game says energy weapons can't penetrate ATM 1+ and all weapons except missiles are classified as energy weapons in-game...

Right now, I have missile only bases on Earth, Io and two major out-system colonies. Earth and Io cover pretty much the whole system with their missiles. However, I'd like to produce some cheap close defence batteries for less important colonies. I'd prefer them to be gunnery bases, since these colonies lack stuff like Sorium. I don't feel like a) shipping missiles to the bases or b) shipping resources for missiles to be built locally, not worth the managing trouble.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 01, 2010, 11:23:20 am »

This game really needs an interface overhaul. As in, really. It's not even that the menus are all very obscure, I can understand the need to pack a lot of information like that. But, for example, when I looked at the research tree options, all options were there. Even though I started a conventional empire and had nothing researched yet, I had the jump-cruisers and meson cannons all mentioned in the research options. This is very wrong. I've yet to see how ship construction is handled, but the science screens in this game need a lot of improving.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 01, 2010, 01:36:17 pm »

That big SD ship...
it has two size 100 missilelaunchers, but no size one hundred rockets in stock.
Also the launcher has a rof of 600, which is like every ten minutes?
So even if the size 14 and clusterrockets can be fired from the s100tubes, it will mostly function as a collier.

Add some extra dedicated tubes that are faster, small tubes are not that big and have much higher ROF, you can easilly stuff 20 S4 launchers on a single MFC for a nice alfastrike.
Yeah, I didn't realize this. I thought size 100 launcher meant it could fire 100 missiles at once. Right now, I'm building some size 100 planet destroyer missiles to fill that gap.

I just singlehandedly wiped out over 300 enemy (who I found several systems away) ships and over 5000 missiles with that thing.

edit: of course, they had a really pathetic tech level...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 01, 2010, 01:38:39 pm »

This game really needs an interface overhaul. As in, really. It's not even that the menus are all very obscure, I can understand the need to pack a lot of information like that. But, for example, when I looked at the research tree options, all options were there. Even though I started a conventional empire and had nothing researched yet, I had the jump-cruisers and meson cannons all mentioned in the research options. This is very wrong. I've yet to see how ship construction is handled, but the science screens in this game need a lot of improving.
If your talking about "why am i able to research such advanced tech like jump gates when i havent researched a simple cannon?" then it's simple, if you devote all your time to something hard and ignore something easy, then you will learn that more advanced thing. Like getting a masters in triginometry but being unable to do a chemistry experiment.

How do i scrap a PDC? I want it gone

Something weird happens to me when i research stuff. months pass and everything is fine, but when i get down to those last few days, if i skip in 1 day increments, i notice that the research also skips a day. Why is the reasearch always extending the completion date at the last few days?

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 1347