Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815434 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1110 on: January 31, 2010, 07:11:44 pm »

I haven't built any.  But they can fit in a hanger I think so you could cram 50 or so in a meson armed ship and pretend it's a star swarm I guess.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 31, 2010, 07:13:22 pm »

Yeah but considering the huge energy boos they have i expected them to go faster then 2900 km/h.

Makes them seem like they're not worth building.

Whats your engine tech and whats the mass of the ship its moving?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 31, 2010, 07:15:40 pm »

the mass is 600, my engine tech is noobish, but still you would think that they could move faster then my other noob ships. My others move at 2000 km/h....does 900 km/h make a difference?

Also, I'm having trouble moving mass drivers, i sent my cargo group to move 5 mass drivers to mars but they only moved 2....any ideas?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 31, 2010, 07:20:13 pm »

Well yer other noob ships can have as many engines as they want.  It gets inefficient at higher numbers but 8 engines is still faster than 7.  FACs can only have one, it's a strong engine, but still just one.  A larger ship that is 50% engine is going to be faster than it no matter what you do.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 31, 2010, 07:30:03 pm »

OK.

is this sensor good enough to track missiles? I made this following the instructions of the tutorial but on these forums everyone is saying 0 resolution.

Active Search Sensor S10-R1 (1)     GPS 10     Range 100k km     Resolution 1

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 31, 2010, 07:33:42 pm »

the mass is 600, my engine tech is noobish, but still you would think that they could move faster then my other noob ships. My others move at 2000 km/h....does 900 km/h make a difference?

Also, I'm having trouble moving mass drivers, i sent my cargo group to move 5 mass drivers to mars but they only moved 2....any ideas?

You have to order cargo ships in respect with their cargo capability.

And yes, 900 km/h can make a difference.

I have a fighter engine with plasma drives, and its under 500 tons, it moves a little over 5k. I was hoping for more. The next generation fighters are going to have the new engine tech and I am going to do more research in the power plant boosting. Right now it gives a small %5 percent boost, which is more noticeable for reactors then engines.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 31, 2010, 07:35:02 pm »

OK.

is this sensor good enough to track missiles? I made this following the instructions of the tutorial but on these forums everyone is saying 0 resolution.

Active Search Sensor S10-R1 (1)     GPS 10     Range 100k km     Resolution 1

Uh sure.

It really depends on what your AMM range, and what bonuses you get when tracking missiles with time.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1117 on: January 31, 2010, 07:40:36 pm »

Fast attack engines are great if you need a fast ship.

Check this out:

Code: [Select]
Lightning class Assault Shuttle    400 tons     40 Crew     407.2 BP      TCS 8  TH 180  EM 0
93750 km/s     Armour 1-4     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 6%    IFR: 0.1%    Maint Capacity 127 MSP    Max Repair 375 MSP    Est Time: 2.76 Years
Drop Capacity: 1 Company   

GC-AM750 GB Drive E20 (1)    Power 750    Fuel Use 200%    Signature 180    Armour 0    Exp 105%
Fuel Capacity 20,000 Litres    Range 45.0 billion km   (5 days at full power)

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

I bombed the NPR that was attacking me to oblivion, but the next hostile alien I find I'm going to deploy these suckers with marine companies and board their ships. It has an accompanying carrier with room for 5 of them and a batallion (enough room to carry the 5 marine companies until I load them up in the assault shuttles).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 31, 2010, 07:42:36 pm »

Fast attack engines are great if you need a fast ship.

Check this out:

Code: [Select]
Lightning class Assault Shuttle    400 tons     40 Crew     407.2 BP      TCS 8  TH 180  EM 0
93750 km/s     Armour 1-4     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 6%    IFR: 0.1%    Maint Capacity 127 MSP    Max Repair 375 MSP    Est Time: 2.76 Years
Drop Capacity: 1 Company   

GC-AM750 GB Drive E20 (1)    Power 750    Fuel Use 200%    Signature 180    Armour 0    Exp 105%
Fuel Capacity 20,000 Litres    Range 45.0 billion km   (5 days at full power)

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

I bombed the NPR that was attacking me to oblivion, but the next hostile alien I find I'm going to deploy these suckers with marine companies and board their ships. It has an accompanying carrier with room for 5 of them and a batallion (enough room to carry the 5 marine companies until I load them up in the assault shuttles).

Whats yer engine tech?

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1119 on: January 31, 2010, 07:45:19 pm »

What does 'Picket' mean? Does it mean move toward something at 1 km/s?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 31, 2010, 07:50:25 pm »

Do i need an active sensor for fast attack ships? Or since they have such little fuel it won't matter?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1121 on: January 31, 2010, 07:58:18 pm »

Engine tech is Gas Core Anti-matter (abreviated to GC-AM in the engine name). It's pretty high up in the tech tree, it costed me 975,000 research points to get the gas core power plant + engine tech. I have a crazy good research guy though. He is 60% bonus 40 research labs, produces 136,000 RPs a year. I started the game with him at 30 labs and 30% bonus and kept him researching engine tech 24/7. He grew in ability really quickly (I guess due to luck? seemed like every six months it said he improved something) and was 60% and 40 in like 3 years, so he was the key to advancing my engine tech. Even with him it took a good many years to research it though. He was also key in developing my jump engine tech, which is up to efficiency 16 now - letting my 20k ton jump ships jump with 6 other ships with only size 35 engines.

He recently developed a health condition though, I just put him on Plasma-core technology but he'll probably wind up dieing before it's finished - then I'll be stuck with the 20% bonus 15 lab limit PP guy that has never once improved even after researching like 50 things (missile engine tech, capacitors, all my designs, etc).

Micro:
You need active sensors on anything thats going to be fighting solo. If you're using them in a fleet with a sensor ship they don't need sensors, only fire controls. But if they are working solo they need actives to light up the targets, otherwise they can't shoot them. If you intend to use large groups of them, one option is to have most of them without sensors and just a few with sensors to light up targets. In that case you have to make sure they don't get destroyed first though, otherwise the rest of the ships won't be able to fight.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:00:33 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 31, 2010, 07:59:28 pm »

Do i need an active sensor for fast attack ships? Or since they have such little fuel it won't matter?

Yes?

It depends what you plan to do with the ship.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 31, 2010, 08:05:39 pm »

Engine tech is Gas Core Anti-matter (abreviated to GC-AM in the engine name). It's pretty high up in the tech tree, it costed me 975,000 research points to get the gas core power plant + engine tech. I have a crazy good research guy though. He is 60% bonus 40 research labs, produces 136,000 RPs a year. I started the game with him at 30 labs and 30% bonus and kept him researching engine tech 24/7. He grew in ability really quickly (I guess due to luck? seemed like every six months it said he improved something) and was 60% and 40 in like 3 years, so he was the key to advancing my engine tech. Even with him it took a good many years to research it though. He was also key in developing my jump engine tech, which is up to efficiency 16 now - letting my 20k ton jump ships jump with 6 other ships with only size 35 engines.

He recently developed a health condition though, I just put him on Plasma-core technology but he'll probably wind up dieing before it's finished - then I'll be stuck with the 20% bonus 15 lab limit PP guy that has never once improved even after researching like 50 things (missile engine tech, capacitors, all my designs, etc).

Ouch. It seems random, when a sciency guy improves. It also seems random when any teams or officers approve, beside the teams. Although diplo teams will just increase in rank, even if they just sit at home without being assigned to anyone.

I'm getting internal confidment fusion engine within the next year or so. I feel like a dork for not researching the improve research rate sooner. It dropped everything by about five months.

Micro:
You need active sensors on anything thats going to be fighting solo. If you're using them in a fleet with a sensor ship they don't need sensors, only fire controls. But if they are working solo they need actives to light up the targets, otherwise they can't shoot them. If you intend to use large groups of them, one option is to have most of them without sensors and just a few with sensors to light up targets. In that case you have to make sure they don't get destroyed first though, otherwise the rest of the ships won't be able to fight.

It depends. I have fighters with no active sensors or passive, as they'll be using a PDC with size fifty sensor antenna that goes out over 800 million kilometers. Its missile sensor goes 80 million miles. Well enough for planet defense.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 31, 2010, 08:06:46 pm »

Ah, so you have to have active sensors in a fleet, i can't just have my fast attacker fleet support my battle fleet and the battle fleet light the enemies up so the fast attack group can see them?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 1347