Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815605 times)

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #990 on: January 30, 2010, 07:08:41 am »

Turn on events and check why its not doing it. Go into system view (F3) and on the bottom left there should be some checkboxes, one of them should be show events. And/or click the blue and yellow(?) box on the toolbar at the top of the system view window - on the far right.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:10:46 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 30, 2010, 07:12:15 am »

I figured out what was going on. Another ship currently being built was set to join the same task force, so the freighter was waiting for it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 30, 2010, 10:57:34 am »

Why is titan purple on the list of bodies?

And how do jump points work?

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #993 on: January 30, 2010, 11:03:13 am »

I think it's purple because it has poisonous gases and it is within gravity range of colonization.

Jump points, after they are surveyed by a ship with a gravitational survey module, are where jump ships go to other systems. Also you can build jump gates there.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 30, 2010, 11:14:27 am »

So I don't need to build jump gates to jump? And If i have a jump gate i dont need ships with jump drives?

What do i do with officers or commanders? I'm getting more of them and they are being promoted, but what do they do?

I noticed that my 500 automated mines will take 20 years to make, is 20 years normal? that's a lot

EDIT: also i got someone to join my civilian administration with a bunch of perks....is that automatic or do i have to assign him or something?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:22:14 am by Micro102 »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 30, 2010, 11:28:41 am »

So I don't need to build jump gates to jump? And If i have a jump gate i dont need ships with jump drives?

What do i do with officers or commanders? I'm getting more of them and they are being promoted, but what do they do?

I noticed that my 500 automated mines will take 20 years to make, is 20 years normal? that's a lot

Officers give various bonus to their assigned ship/planet/squad or team. I like to use the auto assign checkbox, it does a good job assigning them to the right spot. You should assign civilian administrators(for planets) manually however.

And 500 automated mines is a huge amount of them, I doubt you even have enough minerals to make all of that. But if you got the resources to make them, go for it :p You can decrease the amount of time needed to build them by building more industrial capacity first.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: January 30, 2010, 11:33:52 am »

That's right, ships with jump drives can go through them without a gate(and can also bring a certain number of non jump ships in the same task group along with them based on your max squadron size tech and the maximum tonnage of the jump drive.) and jump gates allow ships without jump drives to travel through the gates.  Just remember when you build a gate it's one way only, so you need to build another gate on the other side to make it 2-way.  2 way jump gates make the lines connecting systems on the galactic map yellow as well, making it easier to tell what system non jump ships have easy access to.

Officers and commanders give bonuses to what they are assigned to do.  Naval commanders for example can give % bonuses to ships. Like having a captain on an asteroid miner with a mining bonus improves the mining output.  A captain of a survey ship would benefit from a high survey % bonus.  Also note that there are dropdowns all over the officer screen.  For example changing the warships dropdown to staff offices allows you to assign a fleet command admiral, and once you have one of them you can assign his staff officers.

You can also switch from navy officers, to ground officers, to scientists, to civilian administrators.  And in the civilian administrators you can assign governors to entire colonies which apply all their bonuses to their colony's output.

I don't know what some of those bonuses do though.  I don't know what logistics does for example other than it is good for your fleet commander to have it.  And from what I understand political reliability is intended to do absolutely nothing but waste points and make a few less useful soldiers get higher ranks because they are "The governor's nephew" or something like that.

I'm afraid I don't know how to move around the queue, I always just deleted something If I decided I want something else done first.  All the ones that have been done are already built and available and the ones that haven't been done yet haven't cost any resources yet.  So all you lose out on are the non whole amounts.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 30, 2010, 11:37:08 am »

By industrial capacity, that's construction factories. Also, a more reasonable number for auto mines is around 50, at least until you have a pretty beastly industrial capability.

Also, with officers, get at least five of them together into a geology squad. On a survey vessel, it speeds surveying up by a ridiculous amount, AND they'll find you more minerals on the colonies they're dropped on.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 30, 2010, 11:38:44 am »

Bleh your right, i can't make that many ;D

Also, What is the difference between fire control systems and active sensors?

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #999 on: January 30, 2010, 11:41:35 am »

Active sensors detect ships, fire control systems target them.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: January 30, 2010, 11:49:18 am »

grrrrrrrr i forgot  how to make good weapons.... I have 2000 missiles but nothing to launch them....

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 30, 2010, 11:50:11 am »

Active sensors detect ships and give you more information on the contacts than thermal or EM sensors do.  I also don't think you can target something unless one of your ships active sensors can see it.  The higher the resolution, the longer the range.  But at higher resolutions they can't see smaller ships unless they are practically right on top of the sensor.  It's a tradeoff.

Fire control are what you actually give the targeting orders to in combat.  A weapon gets linked to a fire control and uses it for all of it's targeting.  You can link as many weapons as you want to a single fire control, but missiles can only be linked to missile fire control systems.  A weapon can only shoot as far as it's fire control can see, (energy weapons will spam 0% chance to hit errors if you try, and missiles simply won't let you target outside their range) so it is inefficient to have a long range weapon on a short range fire control.  Fire control has speed ratings too.  Guns that are hull mounted (not loaded on a turret) will use either the your ship's max speed or your fire control speed, whichever is lowest.  And you can design fire control systems much faster than that.  So it's often a good idea to link high tracking speed fire controls to high tracking speed turrets.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: January 30, 2010, 12:01:23 pm »

Do weapons automatically link if there is only one of each type?

Is 1.2 million km a good distance for missiles?

Do i need a fire control for my missiles?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 30, 2010, 12:16:45 pm »

No  After the ship is built you have to go into the ship's combat settings to link them.  There is an "AutoFC" button that sets them automatically but I don't know how good of a job it does.

1.2m is very short range.  Good enough for anti-missile missiles but not very good for anti ship missiles.  My current anti-ship missile range is about 60m km which can go higher or lower depending on the tech and your design.  But I don't really consider a missile to be a combat missile unless it has a range of at least 10m km.

Yes.  Missile fire control uses the active sensors design tab.  You just set the bottom drop down as missile fire control instead of search sensor.

P.S. Posted quickly cuz I have to go soon.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: January 30, 2010, 12:35:38 pm »

Well dam that means with my current technology, im gonna have to increase the resolution more and make the antenna bigger....and delete this one i already made  :(  (how do i do that?)

i have a missile fire control, i made lasers that need both fire control and active sensors, do the missile fire controls work as both active sensors and fire control for missiles, If not which one do i need?

EDIT: OK now it's saying something about missile magazine under the ordnance/fighter tab in the class design...Someone please explain that it me....do i need cargo bays to hold missiles?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:59:00 pm by Micro102 »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 1347