Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815790 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #975 on: January 29, 2010, 11:25:58 pm »

A nomad empire could actually kinda work in this game.

Just give yourself some big commercial ships with lots of cargo space and engines, a tractor beam, and cryo things for your people. Tow your shipyards from world to world with these ships, holding the minerals you have stored up as well as the installations in your cargo bays. You could have mining and maintenance modules on ships too.

Then you could just travel from world to world, stripping them of resources and building up your fleet. You'd have to stop off every so often to gather more maintenance supplies and fix your ships, and any research done would have to be done while you were on a planet - but otherwise you could probably do OK. You would just have to guard your big ships carefully, since losing them would be a big setback unless you were towing around a monster shipyard with which to rebuild them. Getting good officers and enough crew for your ships might also be problematic, since you would have to stop and build training centers and wait for recruits. You could go with conscripts for the ships, but not having any good officers would kinda suck.

Oh, and Greiger - if you don't feel like messing much with missiles, you could always try out the spreadsheet I made back on page 64 of this thread. It pretty much does all the optimization for you, you just input your current technology and the stats you want on the missile and then pick the speed and accuracy rating you want - after that you just have to copy 4 values over real quick and it's done. I made it mostly for my own convenience, since I'm constantly designing missiles every time my tech increases. Way easier than sitting there adding and subtracting .001 at a time until your missile is "just right", haha.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:35:28 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #976 on: January 29, 2010, 11:41:41 pm »

Is there anything I can do with ships I won't need for years but don't want cluttering up system map space?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 30, 2010, 12:05:22 am »

Is there anything I can do with ships I won't need for years but don't want cluttering up system map space?

Pluto, send them to hang around there.  Usually I'm zoomed in enough to rarely ever see Pluto...

Guess you also need to set-up maintenance ships if you send military ships and have overhaul on...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 30, 2010, 12:31:59 am »

How exactly do fuel harvesters work? I have 3 ships with fuel storage and sorium harvesters designated as tankers orbiting saturn, but there is no fuel added to them, even after I have waited a while.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 30, 2010, 12:37:03 am »

Have you surveyed the gas giant to make sure it contains sorium? Not all gas giant can be harvested, only those with sorium, ideally at 0.8 or higher availability.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 30, 2010, 12:43:54 am »

Did you designated it as a colony possibly?

Are the fuel tanks for the FH mostly empty?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #981 on: January 30, 2010, 12:44:47 am »

As an aside: dang this game is fun.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 30, 2010, 12:59:16 am »

It took me a long time to figure out how sorium harvesters work.  You just stick them in orbit around a gas giant with sorium and they will replenish their supply.

The problem comes up when the only sorium giants available have low availability. Then you can have them there for months and have no obvious increase. The harvesters are effected by mining availability just like everything else, and remember that per annum = per year so sorium harvesting is a slow process.  Especially if yer like me and your harvesters are also tankers and have massive fuel storage.  My tankers have a storage of 1 million liters.  With 2 harvesters each, orbiting a .1 availability jovian.  It took more than a year for them to gain 1%
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 30, 2010, 01:02:21 am »

My fuel tanks at the moment are mostly full, but were near empty before and did not fill. I surveyed both Jupiter and Saturn and they don't contain Sorium. Thanks for the advice.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:03:56 am by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 30, 2010, 02:25:15 am »

Any chance of a mac port?
Sadly, no.

It would make things easier for me as well, but the resolution screw-up needs to be fixed first anyhow.

Steve lives in London, apparently, although he seems lacking in common sense for an Englishman.
Has anything changed on this?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 30, 2010, 02:33:18 am »

Any chance of a mac port?
Sadly, no.

It would make things easier for me as well, but the resolution screw-up needs to be fixed first anyhow.

Steve lives in London, apparently, although he seems lacking in common sense for an Englishman.
Has anything changed on this?
No.

After a few hours of down loading, and installation, I got virtual machine with xp working, and its playable.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 30, 2010, 06:25:18 am »

I'm having trouble getting infrastructure on a planet, as there seems to be no option for a freighter to load infrastructure.
I've played some mafia.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: January 30, 2010, 06:33:42 am »

I'm having trouble getting infrastructure on a planet, as there seems to be no option for a freighter to load infrastructure.

Do you have the infrastructure built?

If yes, then in the order tab of the TG menu, you highlight the planet they were built, and scan the list of various good. Its generally next to installations. Then make sure you select an amount to carry, that does not exceed the cargo capability of the cargo TG.

Each 5k cargo hold can hold 2 infrastructure.

I've notice instatillations no matter the planet cost don't really have a sizable population limit until they are in the triple digits. Generally I try to get six thousand built and shipped to a planet to hold a pretty okay population.

Currently, I have a TG of ten 25k cargo ships transporting infrastructure to Titan. Its taking for fucking ever. Almost two years of constant trips they are almost done transporting the six thousand worth of infrastructure.

You can also have the infrastructure built then set up supply and demand order for the civvies to /eventually/ do it. The civvies will also eventually ship in more infrastructure as a trade good that will be added to the planets infrastructure.

I thought about leaving enough infrastructure on my home planet to act as  a global bomb shelter.

Then I'm looking at my overally large pop of 5 billion, and realize that I would probably need several million infrastructure to do so, if it got really bad, with the nuclear winter and some of it being destroyed in the bombardment.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 06:37:12 am by MrWiggles »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: January 30, 2010, 06:57:12 am »

I've played some mafia.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 30, 2010, 07:01:49 am »

Can someone help me figure out why my freighter refuses to move?

Code: [Select]
Seychelles class Freighter    33400 tons     218 Crew     435 BP      TCS 668  TH 900  EM 0
1347 km/s     Armour 1-92     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 8 MSP    Max Repair 38 MSP
Cargo 25000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 10   

Ion Engine E0.8 (6)    Power 150    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 33.7 billion km   (289 days at full power)

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes

I can order it to move to someplace and it will have all the move coordinates and ETAs and everything but will not actually go anywhere nor will the ETAs change.

edit: It won't do anything, won't load automated mines, minerals, whatever. Fuel is full too.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 1347