Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816154 times)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9900 on: February 13, 2012, 11:14:27 pm »

They work after a fashion, but require a huge investment in RP and do very little damage.

Could still be worth it if you're fighting an enemy with very good beam PD, though.

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9901 on: February 13, 2012, 11:20:17 pm »

Destroyed the river class but the imperium is proving a tough nut to crack. 10 salvos of 30x strength 1 PD missiles should destroy it

You forgot one:

Thou shall not use extremely slow missiles.

Kind of hard to make really fast size 3 missiles with only Ion Missile engine tech.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9902 on: February 13, 2012, 11:27:50 pm »

Kind of hard to make really fast size 3 missiles with only Ion Missile engine tech.
I wasn't complaining about yours, I just saw FD posting some rules and I decided, what the hell, I'll add one.

And besides, your missiles aren't that slow. They certainly could go slower.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: February 13, 2012, 11:27:54 pm »

You forgot one:

Thou shall not use extremely slow missiles.

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 4 MSP  (0.2 HS)     Warhead: 4    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 15
Speed: 19800 km/s    Endurance: 67 minutes   Range: 80.1m km
Thermal Sensor Strength: 0.0005    Detect Sig Strength 1000:  500 km
Cost Per Missile: 2.4435
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 297%   3k km/s 90%   5k km/s 59.4%   10k km/s 29.7%
Materials Required:    1x Tritanium   0.0005x Uridium   1.6178x Gallicite   Fuel x3555.5

Development Cost for Project: 244RP

WH multiplier: x5
Engine multiplier: x3 (Ion Missile Drive)
Agility multiplier: x48
Fuel Efficiency multiplier: x.08

That's about your ideal low-tech ASM.

Ed: Ah, yes, my current game. I'd almost forgotten about it in my efforts to work on an LP that nobody cares about. :3

Those are the nasty Precursors with abnormally advanced tech that managed to soak up 32 WH-9 missiles without serious damage. FriRon 1 is attempting to delay them long enough for my fighters to rearm; I don't honestly expect my WH-4 ASMs to succeed where my fighter missiles failed, but I think I can take down one of them if I flush all my XO racks as well and concentrate fire.

Ed: Yep, with 80 missiles, I managed to take down a damaged ship. These things are going to make for absolutely beautiful salvage, and I relish the thought of the systems I was avoiding because the Precursor numbers were in the double digits.  :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:48:04 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: February 14, 2012, 12:05:39 am »

About 400 of the 1200 or so I launched at the Imperium hit it. The rest self destructed after the ship blew up. Seems like a waste but those missiles are cheap as hell.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9905 on: February 14, 2012, 12:23:03 am »

I'd almost forgotten about it in my efforts to work on an LP that nobody cares about. :3

I'm reading it. I just tend not to reply much.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9906 on: February 14, 2012, 12:35:04 am »

I'd almost forgotten about it in my efforts to work on an LP that nobody cares about. :3

I'm reading it. I just tend not to reply much.

Fair enough.  :P

Yeeeess... yummy salvage! /)^3^(\
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:41:45 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: February 14, 2012, 12:04:24 pm »

Everytime I f2 on aurora now, i get a instalshield trying to install AutoCAD and no economics screen. What the hell. Should I reinstall? anyone else have this ever?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9908 on: February 14, 2012, 12:27:58 pm »

never heard of that. maybe it is a file mime type conflict?

look into the list of file associations to see if anything is associated to an autocad installer and nuke it.

it's a windows that looks like this on xp, there is one on vista and 7 too:

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: February 14, 2012, 04:34:38 pm »

Regarding the laws of missile design. I have an issue with the salvo rule. In my experiance the optimum missile configuration is a large number of small salvos fired simultaneously. This is better because it increases the chance of defensive overkill. Point defense and CIWS will target one salvo per increment. That means that 6 salvos of 2 missiles each arriving at the same time will get through the point defense more effectively than 1 salvo of twelve missiles.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9910 on: February 14, 2012, 04:42:42 pm »

I'm not disagreeing with that. What I'm saying is that launching a salvo of 32 missiles is better than launching salvos of 6 missiles every 20 seconds for 2 minutes.

3. Run Resize Enable

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: February 14, 2012, 04:54:46 pm »

I haven't played this game in ages, so I need some help with  a few things again:

1. Is there a log of sorts that tells you why the time increment was cut short/general going-ons?

2. How do you get geology teams to do their thing? do you just drop them off on a plant you wish to survey and let them be for a while. Once you've got them surveying, how do you track their progress?
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: February 14, 2012, 05:06:25 pm »

I haven't played this game in ages, so I need some help with  a few things again:

1. Is there a log of sorts that tells you why the time increment was cut short/general going-ons?
Only if it's stuff your empire would have known about. NPRs fighting NPRs, you'll just get a lot of 5-second increments and then it'll go away.

2. How do you get geology teams to do their thing? do you just drop them off on a plant you wish to survey and let them be for a while.
Yup.
Once you've got them surveying, how do you track their progress?
You don't. It's not progress in the conventional sense, it's more like the MTTH system that Paradox uses for events. The higher the team's skill score, the faster they should finish.

But a bigger determinant is what they're surveying. Planets turn up results quickly, moons take a bit longer, asteroids take forever. I think the formula is based on diameter. Rule of thumb is start your teams out on decent sized moons (even ones with no minerals in the initial surveys) to boost their skills, then move on to the planets (because low skill teams are also more likely to "finish" their research, which caps off your total potential mineral gain).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: February 14, 2012, 05:14:06 pm »

Many thanks Redking, but how do I see the log? Does that also tell you when a survey team has finished surveying or do you access that from the officers/teams screen?

Edit #1: In relation to this, how do you keep track of teams, especially if they're not currently on an inhabited planet? Noticed that the body they were on now appeared in the planetary bodies list thingie, so they appear now. They don't appear to be doing terribly much surveying :/

Edit #2: Medals, how do they work? I've created one, but it doesn't show up in the awards list, and upon clicking "make award" I'm prompted to "select a medal to award first". So I need to have a medal be able to make a medal, but the medal I just made isn't a medal? o_O

Edit #3: They are definitely not surveying. This is getting quite annoying :/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:42:29 pm by LuckyNinja »
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9914 on: February 14, 2012, 08:47:07 pm »

The way to check if a geosurvey team is at the right place, is to go to the teams tab in the colony view and select the colony on the body being surveyed from the list on the left. If the team is there it will show up in the lower box. Surveys can sometimes take a very long time if you are unlucky, I've had one team that was stuck on Luna for ten years before they made their first discovery.

Once a team finishes it's survey it will give a message no further deposits can be found, and this message will be repeated each time you advance time while the team remains on the surveyed body.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 1347