Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817389 times)

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9615 on: January 14, 2012, 08:51:28 pm »

Sweet, while I'm at it. Does a ship-based maintenace thingy need to have minerals to sustain the ships its servicing? i.e.

Sara Aria class Maintenance Base    43,050 tons     1050 Crew     2799.1 BP      TCS 861  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 10-109     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
MSP 81    Max Repair 200 MSP
Maintenance Modules: 8 module(s) capable of supporting ships of 1600 tons

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

How'm I looking?

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9616 on: January 14, 2012, 09:04:16 pm »

Maintenance modules only work on planets, and they need minerals to maintain ships stationed at that planet.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9617 on: January 14, 2012, 09:15:47 pm »

Basically, the maintainence modules will use the minerals on the planet to do maintenance. For example, if you have 8 maintenance facilities on a planet, and a ship with 8 modules shows up, it would pretty much be the same as having 16 facilities on the planet.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: January 14, 2012, 09:23:27 pm »

Part 4 of my video tutorial is up! It contains ship design and research project information!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvyagBEAs5o&context=C336c78aADOEgsToPDskKIZCJ7JjjU0VHz3ScNik77
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9619 on: January 18, 2012, 11:57:31 am »

So this has been bugging me for a while: does anyone know of a way either to autoassign commanders to leaderless battalions and ships without displacing current assignments, or a way to ensure that the autoassign actually fills all the available slots, instead of the shitty job it currently does?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9620 on: January 18, 2012, 12:00:18 pm »

Well, actually auto-assign does an half-decent job since it assign all officers that actually gives bonuses.
As for the other, I don't see how assigning them mess up standard assignment.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9621 on: January 18, 2012, 12:18:59 pm »

If your having trouble with the number of qualified officers availible to the auto assign, you could consider dropping the rank requirement one step. That often allows a bunch of slots to be filled. The fairly peculiar personel requirements of a auroran navy seem to be the problem. Unless you make a whole bunch of task forces and assign all the staff positions, or you build a huge number of fighters and civillian vessels you will have a huge surplus of O-1 officers, and a deficit of qualified higher ranking officers. This is because aurora doesn't place officers in subordinate positions on ships. You can have a 20,000 ton battleship (or light cruiser if you're flying dice  :P) with only one commissioned officer on board, no executive officer, no section heads, when in reality you would have a core of 5-10 officers in the command track on a ship that size.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9622 on: January 18, 2012, 12:19:24 pm »

What Sheb said. Unless you want it to assign leaders with no relevant bonuses just in the name of having leaders for all of them. If a commander has no ground combat bonus it won't assign them to a battalion, the exception being Engineering which assigns commanders with high Xenology ratings. The only area I can see that not being the optimal system is that it might miss some commanders who have troop training ratings but no combat bonus rating. You can always manually add them to an assignment, though they'll be put back in the pool come next rotation.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9623 on: January 18, 2012, 12:38:31 pm »

You can set it so that they never end their tour.  Its a checkbox up in the center top area if I remember correctly.  Auto Assign will never take em out.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9624 on: January 18, 2012, 12:43:41 pm »

The problem is that I typically have far more battalions than I do commanders with bonuses, so I end up having to go through and assign half of them by hand afterwards. That, and the ship assignments are screwed up; some classes don't get autoassigned commanders at all, and others have absurd assignments, or don't make much sense when looked at with the ranks. So for example, I've got 4 carriers that require rear admirals or higher, 4 battlecruisers with the same, 10 heavy cruisers with commodore requirement, 12 destroyers with captain requirement, and 32 frigates + 40 FACs with commander requirement. Now suppose I've got 3 vice admirals, 7 rear admirals, 18 commodores, 34 captains, and 150 or so commanders. The autoassign will typically do something like this: 3 VAs, 5 RAs to the BCs and CVs, and then put the other 2 RAs on FACs or something stupid like that, then put 10 commodores on the CAs, and dump the other 8 into FACs and frigates, and so on down the line, rather than assigning them to the next highest command, or not assigning them at all. Half the time this ends up creating more work than it saves, especially if I want to do something like assign the officers of appropriate rank with the highest training rate to an undercrewed squadron to get them to fighting form sooner, or assign officers with very high initiative ratings to a group of skirmishers, etc.

You can set it so that they never end their tour.  Its a checkbox up in the center top area if I remember correctly.  Auto Assign will never take em out.

Thanks.  :)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9625 on: January 18, 2012, 12:51:55 pm »

The problem is that I typically have far more battalions than I do commanders with bonuses, so I end up having to go through and assign half of them by hand afterwards. That, and the ship assignments are screwed up; some classes don't get autoassigned commanders at all, and others have absurd assignments, or don't make much sense when looked at with the ranks. So for example, I've got 4 carriers that require rear admirals or higher, 4 battlecruisers with the same, 10 heavy cruisers with commodore requirement, 12 destroyers with captain requirement, and 32 frigates + 40 FACs with commander requirement. Now suppose I've got 3 vice admirals, 7 rear admirals, 18 commodores, 34 captains, and 150 or so commanders. The autoassign will typically do something like this: 3 VAs, 5 RAs to the BCs and CVs, and then put the other 2 RAs on FACs or something stupid like that, then put 10 commodores on the CAs, and dump the other 8 into FACs and frigates, and so on down the line, rather than assigning them to the next highest command, or not assigning them at all. Half the time this ends up creating more work than it saves, especially if I want to do something like assign the officers of appropriate rank with the highest training rate to an undercrewed squadron to get them to fighting form sooner, or assign officers with very high initiative ratings to a group of skirmishers, etc.

Thanks.  :)

Note that you can change the minimum rank required for a class on the class design window on the DAC/RANK/INFO tab, given the size of your ships I would that that is almost certianly a nessesity.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: January 18, 2012, 02:27:18 pm »

Ahh okay, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I do wish that along with the "minimum rank to command" there was a "maximum rank" as well, so that I wouldn't have Rear Admirals flying FACs and/or fighters.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: January 18, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »

Ahh okay, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I do wish that along with the "minimum rank to command" there was a "maximum rank" as well, so that I wouldn't have Rear Admirals flying FACs and/or fighters.

There is a maximum rank that's fixed 3 (I might be wrong about the number) above the minimum.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: January 19, 2012, 01:01:39 am »

So is ship design anyone else's most favorite part of the game?  I just spent like four hours designing ships and PDCs.  I now have the perfect spacecraft for any and all possible tasks.  Go on, quiz me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:03:19 am by Canalan »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: January 19, 2012, 09:38:33 am »

So is ship design anyone else's most favorite part of the game?  I just spent like four hours designing ships and PDCs.  I now have the perfect spacecraft for any and all possible tasks.  Go on, quiz me.

I need a design to fight your own ship design  :P
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 1347