Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817664 times)

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9495 on: January 08, 2012, 03:27:20 pm »

I'm not getting any events in the events window when these stops happen.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: January 08, 2012, 03:57:54 pm »

turn on sm mode (ctrl-s) and look again. There should be extra entries in the event log specifying why the time skip was interupted.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9497 on: January 08, 2012, 04:03:49 pm »

If you are not seeing them with SM mode on, try exporting the event log while in sm mode from the events window by pressing 'text file', and look at the text file of the logs. If I remember correctly the text dump will include npr events that you can't see from within the game.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: January 08, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »

It maybe stopping for potential conflict, like scouts of different races in the same system.

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: January 08, 2012, 04:43:03 pm »

30th July 2081 06:27:26,Precursors,Krumeich,Hostile transit detected!
30th July 2081 06:27:26,Precursors,Krumeich,New Transponder Contact!  Contact ID: Juliet 007, Class ID: Juliet, Race ID: Krumeich Aliens #1093

This looks to be  the issue... Precursors keep spotting contacts. Lots of them. Never doing anything about them. I don't even know where this system is. Ideas?

edit: Can unrest increasing also trigger the interruption? I have a colony that keeps bitching about lacking protection, but are being put down by engineers immediately.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: January 08, 2012, 05:14:49 pm »

unrest won't trigger the interuption, it'll just add up the unrest until the end of the time step. My first suggestion would be to delete the precursor ships, since they're not doing anything, the other posibility would be to delete that system.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: January 08, 2012, 05:42:04 pm »

unrest won't trigger the interuption, it'll just add up the unrest until the end of the time step. My first suggestion would be to delete the precursor ships, since they're not doing anything, the other posibility would be to delete that system.

This, all the way.

So I've run out of steam in my awesome game, because I'd explored 120ish systems with a total count of three small groups of Precursors to fight, which was massively boring. Newish game, starting with mid-level tech (about what I had gotten to last game, same year as well), 500% difficulty modifier, 95% NPR spawn chance, and all three other enemies on. Sol has only a single exit point, into Alpha Centauri, which has 7-8ish other JPs, and is the only system I know has habitable worlds that may only be camped by Precursors or Swarm, rather than Invaders or a NPR. Maybe I'll be able to get my combat fix now. Posting designs in a while for more criticism!  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: January 08, 2012, 05:57:59 pm »

How can I delete those precursor ships without massively fucking up my game/revealing systems/generally ruining my gaming experience?

Also, found some dudes while checking out one of proxima centurai's 9 jump points (it's next to sol!). I sent 4 of my old, first destroyers at them and lost all of them, only doing a bunch of 1 damage hits on one of their three ships. Kind of dissapointing, but I've parked half my current destroyers on the jump point to intercept them if they come back.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: January 08, 2012, 06:27:51 pm »

IIRC from the last time I did it, while in SM mode, set your default race to 'Precursors', go to the ships window, select the troublemaker, delete it, and then set your default race back to human. Could be wrong, though, as it has been a while.

Here are the first batch of designs for my combat game, shoot 'em full of holes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: January 08, 2012, 07:20:42 pm »

And some more.

Maryjane class Hunter-Killer Destroyer    11,850 tons     1300 Crew     4300.5 BP      TCS 237  TH 598  EM 0
5046 km/s     Armour 6-46     Shields 0-0     Sensors 40/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 8     PPV 78.4
Maint Life 2.88 Years     MSP 1815    AFR 140%    IFR 2%    1YR 322    5YR 4837    Max Repair 480 MSP

Magneto-plasma Drive E9.1 (13)    Power 92    Fuel Use 91%    Signature 46    Armour 0    Exp 12%
Fuel Capacity 370,000 Litres    Range 61.8 billion km   (141 days at full power)

Quad 15cm C6 Soft X-ray Laser Turret (4x4)    Range 320,000km     TS: 20000 km/s     Power 24-24     RM 6    ROF 5        6 6 6 6 6 6 5 4 4 3
Fire Control S16 160-20000 (2)    Max Range: 320,000 km   TS: 20000 km/s     97 94 91 88 84 81 78 75 72 69
Tokamak Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 (4)     Total Power Output 96    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR132-R150 (1)     GPS 14700     Range 132.0m km    Resolution 150
Active Search Sensor MR1-R1 (1)     GPS 14     Range 1.5m km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH5-40 (1)     Sensitivity 40     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  40m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: January 08, 2012, 08:06:02 pm »

They look good for the most part, however I do see a few issues. For one, I don't see the point of CIWS on your designs where you also have regular gauss turrets, I would personally go with plain gauss turrets to provide interlocking defense. Also, this is just personal preference, but I usually like to stick to one energy weapon and one kinetic weapon tech line. Helps the research get done more quickly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: January 08, 2012, 09:14:44 pm »

I take your point about the mix of CIWS/gauss turrets. It has become something of a habit for me, probably a holdover from when I used primarily laser PD, and would have the lasers on long range interception with the CIWS catching anything that got through. As for the mix of EW: I agree completely. I started this game at mid-tech, so I decided to make it uniform, and allow it to develop from there, rather than attempt to simulate my development choices for 25+ years of research. However, I do typically split between lasers and a second EW even in the course of a normal game, when I've gotten to the point where I have hundreds of labs and dozens of researchers sitting around.

Scout1: Nothing wrong with it that I can see. The only thing that makes me want to nitpick is the fuel capacity, but that's just because I have a thing about always making sure every ship I make can cover at least 100b km unaided.

3. Run Resize Enable

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: January 08, 2012, 11:00:53 pm »

Well the good news is that it performed admirably, albeit while twice outnumbering and outsizing its opponents. The six ships of its class went through the same wormhole that its predecessors had gone through before, to discover the same 3 contacts that had bested her two-generation-earlier predecessors. Despite a time skip fuck up, allowing them to get to me at 0, we were able to destroy all 3 with only minor damage. The sixth ship of the jane class suffered heavy armor damage, but only one internal hit, which, luckily for our enemy, disabled one of her fire controls. Unluckily for them, each ship of the class carries two. The Jump Point was quickly cleared, and the ships got within active sensor range of all planets in the system. No further contacts were made, so the decision was made to begin building our exit jump gate and bring in the survey ships. Further examination of the system yielded a colony of two deep space tracking stations which were seized and returned to earth to improve her defenses. Gravitational survey is currently underway to determine where the alien ships originated.

Now, if only I could figure out how to repair armor damage...

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: January 08, 2012, 11:55:11 pm »

Bring the ship to a shipyard, in the same drop down as the construct/refit/scrap options (lower panel on the left) there is an option to repair. It does take a slipway though.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: January 09, 2012, 05:01:31 am »

6000 + tons... for scouts?

At that point you might just tow a radar dish into the system you care about or if its combat centric, shot drones at them.
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1347