Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815861 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #915 on: January 29, 2010, 12:00:42 am »

How do i build construction factories?

The tutorial told me to build ships with grav sensors, i have them, theyare surveying the 5 nearest bodies...Will those automatically search jump points or do i have to give it a different order, or manually send them to a jump point? Or all of the above?

A five day tutorial and still so much unknown....How complex is this game  ???

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 29, 2010, 12:05:32 am »

How do i build construction factories?
They're a building in the 'industry' tab in the F2 window. They're about 3rd down I think.
do i have to give it a different order,

This.

Gravitational survey ships uses the default command "Survey Nearest Survey Location". Geological Survey ships use survey next system location.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 29, 2010, 12:11:27 am »

Wait, so then what builds construction factories...and what builds those? and what builds those those? lol

OK about my PDC, it's a destroyer with 6 armor layers, no engines (i couldn't put any on it), 4 long range lasers and 4 anti missile type lasers and sensors....Basically expensive and big. But when i go to ground forces, i cant set it as my HQ....So what do i do with it? Leave it and it will defend when I'm attacked?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 29, 2010, 12:12:32 am »

1) Yea pretty much.  Though if yer survey ships have jump drives as soon as they discover a warp they can jump right in.  You'll want to fully survey every system you come across though, excluding geological surveys of planets billions upon billions of km away from your jump ins. Like 10x pluto distance I'm talking.  Those can happen, and although they're normal they practically require hyper drive equipped engines to even survey, let alone colonize and mine, and seem to me to be more trouble than they are worth to me.

2) Not sure but don't think so.  I just choose "survey next survey location" Works just as well, and I know that surveys jump points.

3) Random.  If you started with an NPR they could be anywhere but chances are they are a good distance away so you probably don't have to worry about them for a long time.  Every time you explore a jump point the system you explore has a chance of spawning an NPR race on any habitable planets.  You could also encounter stuff like star swarm or precursors.  Precursors will out-tech you and have unmanned ships but their planets have lucrative ruins to explore and loot.  Star swarm will overwhelm with numbers and then make you deal with a neigh invulnerable queen ship.  Fortunately they both just seem territorial and don't seem to leave their systems.

4) Make a freighter and haul some infrastructure  over to there(click earth, load infrastructure, click mars, unload infrastructure. Set it to repeat a few times). The more the better, and you probably have to build the infrastructure in your capital's factories. Design and Build a colony ship, they are made using the cryogenic transport ship modules, and in it's task force orders click earth, in the second window double click load colonists then click mars and then double click unload colonists, rinse, repeat.  The more infrastructure you have the more colonists you can support.  If you manage to bring the planet's colony cost down to 0.00 with terraforming you don't need infrastructure but that takes a loooooong time.  If the colonist population exceeds the limit imposed by the current infrastructure levels, they start dying off and begin to hate you.  Which is not good.

Ninjad (x4)

Construction factories build construction factories.  You acess their build list from the industry tab of the economics screen.

I skipped the PDC section, I don't know anything about them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:15:18 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 29, 2010, 12:22:12 am »

Odd, i just opened my game an started pressing the 5 day button but time doesn't speed up...with anything. Is this a bug?

EDIT: Correction, i press five days, and 2 hours pass instead.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:25:00 am by Micro102 »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 29, 2010, 12:23:21 am »

Wait, so then what builds construction factories...and what builds those? and what builds those those? lol

Its an Egg and Chicken thing. Construction factories are built by construction factories, and as soon as its build its BP will be added and start helping to build more (assuming you have the populace to man the factories.)
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 29, 2010, 12:25:42 am »

Odd, i just opened my game an started pressing the 5 day button but time doesn't speed up...with anything. Is this a bug?

No, there NPR doing something in the background. If you're really curious you can enter space master mode, and go to the event log where it shows your game name, you can change that to SM Mode, and you'll see the combat events for the NPR, and you can also save it to a more detailed text version.

The only thing you can do is set it to automated turns and go get something to eat, and it'll progress time until something affects you.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 29, 2010, 12:28:40 am »

I'm guessing that automated turns is the sub-pulse thing below the time span.

Please explain how the NPRs doing something is keeping me from progressing time?

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 29, 2010, 12:32:04 am »

OK about my PDC, it's a destroyer with 6 armor layers, no engines (i couldn't put any on it), 4 long range lasers and 4 anti missile type lasers and sensors....Basically expensive and big. But when i go to ground forces, i cant set it as my HQ....So what do i do with it? Leave it and it will defend when I'm attacked?

PDCs are, in application, ships without engines that sit on a planet; they are not the same as an HQ (as far as I'm aware). You control them the same as any other ship and they fight in combat the same as other ships; they just can't move.

Also, the only lasers that work in atmosphere are mesons; so if those lasers aren't mesons they will be useless. Missiles work well for PDCs.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 29, 2010, 12:39:25 am »

Well then.........What do i do with this huge chunk of metal with flashlights on it then? Is there a way to change the weapons later?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #925 on: January 29, 2010, 12:41:13 am »

Actually, terraforming doesn't take that long. It's measured in years, sure - but most things are.

I have a fleet of twenty 5 module terraformers and have fully terraformed everything in the Sol system except Venus (Mercury, Mars, Callisto, Titan) at year 2040 (so 15 years into the game). I haven't bothered to expand outside Sol yet, though - I've explored a few systems, but so far almost every system has been mostly empty (one had those star swarm things, which I'm leaving alone for now). Not a single world large enough to have even the measly 0.2 gravity that I need to live on. Well, except for a couple in the swarm system - but I'm going to research better missile tech before I go after them.

I had Mars done really early, you only need to add a little bit of gas to make it a 0 cost planet. Just .1 oxygen and about .19 or so "safe greenhouse gas." Mercury only requires about .6 or so anti greenhouse gas as well as the oxygen. Callisto is a bit tougher, requiring about 1.1 atmospheres of safe greenhouse gas, the .1 oxygen, and I think you have to remove Methane (or was that Titan? I can't remember) - plus you can only live on it with very high gravity tolerance, the game generation gave me 80 this game and I didn't bother changing it. Titan can never get to 0 with 22 temperature tolerance, but you can drop it to 2.0 and get your civilian sector (if you have one) to deliver all the infrastructure you need just by delivering a few colonists and letting the freighters haul in civilian owned infrastructure for free.

It's really great to have all these colonies right by eachother. I only have 5 freighters, but they deliver stuff within a few days due to the short distances. Mercury started with a bunch of minerals, including the stuff to build financial centers, so I'm building it up as a super finance base. Mars was empty, so I'm just shipping in research labs and using it as a big research base. Callisto had Uridium and was lacking the Corbomite, but a bunch of commercial mines popped up with Corbomite so I have them all sending it to Callisto via mass driver and am building it as a commercial base too. Titan is still small, but I'm building a large mining base there via construction factories hauled in, since it has a huge deposit of Vendarite (the only thing Venus is lacking). The money is flowing in and I'm researching at an incredible rate. Venus has over 100 million minerals in 10 types, which are going to Earth via mass driver and supplying my construction efforts - supplemented by Titan's minerals.

I might have been lucky with mineral generation, but so far I haven't even been bothered by the fact that I can't find any decent colonies outside the home system.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 29, 2010, 12:49:32 am »

I'm really impatience with terraforming and I am currently trying to get a fleet to up a 1.2 ats yearly so it can only take a few months to get each gas to where its needed. I have 15 over mars right now, with two more being build and three shipyards getting up to the tonnage. (They are a hefty 84tonns a piece, the largest ship I have in my spacy.)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #927 on: January 29, 2010, 01:06:12 am »

My ships are .37 atm a year right now (20 ships at 5 modules each with 0.3 terraforming tech, plus I get bonuses from having them all commanded by + terraforming commanders). I've started expanding them again now that I have a decent military built up with scouts to explore. Until I find something to actually terraform I've been working on Venus - if I can remove the 100 atmospheres I could live on it. It's down to 99 atm now, heh heh. I'll probably never finish, but it's a longterm project that I can assign extra ships to when I'm not working on new worlds.

My tech specialization right now is Mesons for PD and missiles for long range attack, although my missile tech is still mediocre since I focused on construction/production techs like research rate and construction and mining and such. I also have really high tech engines researched (solid core antimatter), which makes my ships lightning fast. I just have to finish the missile research up to that point and I should be able to deal with the swarm things (I think, anyway - I've never fought them before). I eventually need to get better passive sensor tech too, since I can't hardly detect anything - my scout died to the swarm because I didn't see them until they were right on me (actives weren't on).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 29, 2010, 01:23:18 am »

I'm guessing that automated turns is the sub-pulse thing below the time span.

Please explain how the NPRs doing something is keeping me from progressing time?

Well the NPR use the time increments like the player does, the game selects the shortest time increment and progress from their, the NPR play with very similar rules to the Human races, it acts as if its a multiplayer human game. The automated turns will continue at what ever time increment you select, so if you select 30 days it'll keep progressing at 30 days until something interprets it that affects your race. The sub pulse is an allowance to be interrupted, if you selected it for once a day then in every 24 hour period events can stop your progression once, where as if you pick five seconds it can  potentially stop you every five seconds.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 29, 2010, 03:01:04 am »

*face palm*

That tutorial failed...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 1347