Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818580 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9030 on: December 07, 2011, 12:54:10 am »

Yeah, most of them were troopships.  How do I SM move them?

1. Enter SM mode.
2. Open the 'Task Groups' window.
3. Select the relevant ship/task group(s)
4. Open the 'History/Officers/Misc.' tab
5. On the right side of the screen, there will be an SM-only pair of dropdown bars, labelled 'Set Task Group Position (SM Only), which contain a list of your known systems and system bodies within the selected system. Just pick where you want them to be and save changes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: December 07, 2011, 12:56:43 am »

Ah, handy!  Thanks for the quick response, I can always count on Bay12.

ALSO:  These troopships... they seem to be loaded.  What would happen if I unloaded them?

ALSO ALSO:  The hell is this:
These are all messages I received.
29th March 2052 07:57:41,Procyon,08 years
29th March 2052 07:57:41,Procyon,8 years
29th March 2052 07:57:41,Procyon,08 years
29th March 2052 07:57:41,Procyon,s
29th March 2052 07:57:41,Procyon,ears
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:07:02 am by Canalan »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: December 07, 2011, 01:04:21 am »

Ah, handy!  Thanks for the quick response, I can always count on Bay12.

ALSO:  These troopships... they seem to be loaded.  What would happen if I unloaded them?

I've never actually tried it, but I can see things going either way. On one hand, only the ships might have officially surrendered, but on the other, the troops might be considered by the AI to be part of the same unit as the ship. I guess the simplest way to find out would be to drop them on an empty world with superior numbers of your own troops and see what happens.

3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: December 07, 2011, 01:08:16 am »

Nah, RP it as a last ditch effort to beat you or a stealthy insertion to strike at the heart of humanity, drop them on earth, let the battle commence.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: December 07, 2011, 01:15:01 am »

It seems that I can assign commanders to the units, so I'm assuming I own them lock, stock, and barrel.  Those troopships have more marine battalions than I have infantry.  Anyways, that message.  What does it mean?

EDIT: 0 years, 10 years.  Are these threats?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:25:13 am by Canalan »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: December 07, 2011, 01:28:00 am »

At least when precursor troop ships surrender you get the troops on board them.  If you look they are fully loaded with troops, but the ships only have drop modules.  Thing is though, the troops are loaded as if those drop pods were normal troop transports and from my experience you can't move them into drop mode, at least with a ship by itself.

The surrender bug is really prevalent in my games.  In my current game 12 troops ships have surrendered to me, over 18 surrendered in my last game and the first 6 that were in systems I knew/had access to gave me ICF from magneto from 0 points into ICF.  Now when it happens I try and get them close to where I am, manually damage them and then abandon.  That way I can keep some of the crew and hopefully the officer and salvage the ships with out getting everything on board intact.  I find it really annoying to lose all of my crew reserves with almost no way to get them back with out SM, then not noticing and having ships built with conscript crews.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:29:33 am by Shooer »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: December 07, 2011, 10:21:09 am »

Yeah, the surrender bug is supposedly slated to be fixed in the next release. I've had it a few times in my current game too. I actually managed to fly two of the transports back to Earth, unload their troops, then scrap them at a shipyard. Nice little research boost and a couple of divisions' worth of new recruits.

In my game, I hand-waved it as "the tech and system knowledge were retrieved from enemy databanks found in the captured listening post" and the troops were "an influx of new volunteers caused by surging morale that we'd won a victory against the enemy". I only did it for the first batch though. Subsequent surrenders, I just deleted the ships and troops, so all I gained was a bit of system knowledge, which seems reasonable. The interesting bit is that my ally occasionally reports gravsurvey data to me from a couple of those systems...so they're obviously intertwined in their territory.

At this point, I'm more or less past Precursor-level technology (except for some sensor and missile tech), so it's not a big deal.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: December 07, 2011, 12:25:56 pm »

Time to see if I've figured out how fighters work. Resisting the obvious joke.

3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9038 on: December 07, 2011, 12:49:31 pm »

As far as I can tell, the only thing fighters are good for is launching two missiles from a box launcher before rearming, or a few variations on that. They also could be used to scout out enemy forces, lock your fire controls on to them and fire a long-range salvo, and then try really hard to escape the hundreds of angry enemies about to eat them.

The biggest advantage seems to me to be that they can be built very easily.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: December 07, 2011, 01:13:29 pm »

You can fit more launchers on fighters and a good way to describe missile armed fighters is as reusable MIRVs.  Beam armed fighters are good hit and run craft, though they take heavy casualties on average.

My current game's fleets are built around massive 34,800 ton supper carriers that each carry 22 anti ship fighters and 8 gauss armed PD/Interception fighters.  Each of the AS fighters carry 4 size 5 ASMs.  Let's just say a full strike from a carrier group is a little excessive.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: December 07, 2011, 01:55:50 pm »

I'm familiar with their tactical and strategic applications; I was talking more about the actual mechanics of launching and returning, etc. (in other words, is there a simpler or better way than launch>detach into seperate TG>carry out mission>return>merge with carrier TG>land). But it is a moot point now, as I got sick of that game and returned to my conventional start... to be greeted with massive slowdown due to a Precursor ship taking 15 second ticks as it slowly chases down and kills 44 NPR freighters. -___-

3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9041 on: December 07, 2011, 02:36:56 pm »

Use the naval organisation tab on the taskgroups window to launch/land your fighters. Makes it much easier.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: December 07, 2011, 02:41:25 pm »

It takes a bit of fiddling, but as Metalax says, using the proper controls makes it far easier on the separate and merge portions of the fight, and the loss of fighters from the fighter squadron is far better then losing capital ships.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: December 07, 2011, 04:24:17 pm »

There's also a fighter organization window where you can organize fighters into squadrons and give them specific orders.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: December 07, 2011, 06:10:56 pm »

I can finally say I can play the game sorta still confusing as hell, this has got to be the most confusing game I've ever played but it got everything I like. The wiki helps a little but not much

Wait how do you save the game I think I lost my progress :'(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 06:20:01 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1347