Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818784 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8910 on: December 02, 2011, 12:43:33 am »

Is it normal for missiles to randomly reverse course and head off in some random direction?

Also,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have learned two things
A) My AMMs are not very good, or their missiles are godly.
B) OVERKI-IIIIIILLLLL

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: December 02, 2011, 03:41:34 am »

19% hitchance, 21% actually hit.
Not too bad as you got them all... all three of them. :p
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: December 02, 2011, 03:49:20 am »

When it says that you detected 5 strength 8 nuclear explosions, were those because of your anti-missile missiles? If so, is it the case that high strength nuclear explosions can destroy multiple missiles in a single salvo?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: December 02, 2011, 08:07:17 am »

If only.
It just refers to your missile hits, including overkill. Missed missiles just use a small detonation to disarm themselves. (Not registering as nuclear explosions)
The idea is that distances in space are so big, that detonations are only effective against a single target. (The targets are supposed to spread out as much as possible without losing concentration of fire.)
I don't think Aurora has supernovae, but explosions in that range would be big enough probably to get multiple ships. ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:14:06 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: December 02, 2011, 08:19:22 am »

Actually, in Newtonian Aurora, a single explosion can take out mutliple target.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: December 02, 2011, 04:19:45 pm »

Are missiles upgraded automatically when new missile tech is researched?
Or do you have to redesign each missile and manufacture the new type.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: December 02, 2011, 04:33:19 pm »

They have to be redesigned.  There's a button for "use MSP of X missile" so you can quickly choose your staple missile, update it with new tech, and start producing.  But most likely you'll want to tweak it a little to adjust for tech changes, like lowering the warhead size to keep the same firepower, and increasing agility instead.  One person had the goal of keeping their warhead power at 4, range at like 50m km, and then upon research to adjust for agility and engine for higher hit rate.  The effect is quite remarkable, to have a size 6 missile that gets like 150% hit against 10,000 km/s targets at later tech!  Point defense becomes moot when your missiles move about the speed of light.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8917 on: December 02, 2011, 06:02:05 pm »

I've been experimenting with editing the database. Right now there's only a few things I can do- I can change some qualities of existing ship components and planetside constructions, such as crew requirements and resource costs. We can also edit the database of stored (real-world) stars, particularly the number of stars and the type of each.

Anyone want a modded universe? I think I can give you a black hole with secondary normal stars, and also there's quite a few strange systems that should be easy to do, like a blue supergiant with a GV2 companion with itself a red dwarf companion.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: December 02, 2011, 07:08:15 pm »

They have to be redesigned.  There's a button for "use MSP of X missile" so you can quickly choose your staple missile, update it with new tech, and start producing.  But most likely you'll want to tweak it a little to adjust for tech changes, like lowering the warhead size to keep the same firepower, and increasing agility instead.  One person had the goal of keeping their warhead power at 4, range at like 50m km, and then upon research to adjust for agility and engine for higher hit rate.  The effect is quite remarkable, to have a size 6 missile that gets like 150% hit against 10,000 km/s targets at later tech!  Point defense becomes moot when your missiles move about the speed of light.

I don't see that button anywhere on the missile design menu.

And now I have to send a ship to unload and replace all the ordinance on my missile defense satellites. Oh joy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: December 02, 2011, 07:13:13 pm »

I'm not on the right OS to check right now, but up at the top left there's a little dropdown box for "previous missile design" or something similar.  It's right above the weight boxes.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: December 02, 2011, 07:15:38 pm »

I'm not on the right OS to check right now, but up at the top left there's a little dropdown box for "previous missile design" or something similar.  It's right above the weight boxes.

Oh I thought you meant there was a literal button.
I've already been using that dropdown list to pull up old missles, and create new ones with an incremented ID number.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: December 02, 2011, 07:28:10 pm »

Ah, well yeah that's the best you get.  At the least, you can load up a previous missile, slap a "Mk II" on it and resume production, but in reality you probably want to tweak it for new stats to achieve best results.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: December 02, 2011, 07:32:22 pm »

Don't bother changing the load in your defense satellites, just let them fire it off if and when enemies show up, and build new ones with better tech and the new missiles. If they aren't massive JP defense fortresses, they shouldn't take long to crank out.

(Yes, I have finally convinced myself to learn the lesson about why it is better to build new stuff than upgrade the old--10 year refit times, yeahno.  ::))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: December 02, 2011, 09:11:43 pm »

Ok, so I am getting some survey ships out and have started designing my first warship. Great!

So I started building 100 mines and it said about 4 years to go (very roughly). It made me wonder what time is like in this game (That sounds confusing...). So how long does it take you guys to get a colony set up to the point where you can start fighting enemy forces properly? Just to give me an idea and to make sure it shouldn't take 60 years to get a force ready....

EDIT: it is about 4 years, not 1.5 :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:53:30 pm by lavenders2 »
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: December 02, 2011, 09:14:33 pm »

I'd say it's definitely possible to get an extrasolar colony going within the first ten years, although you might not be a strong militarily as if you just turtled.
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 1347