Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818780 times)

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8880 on: December 01, 2011, 01:41:05 pm »

Sounds nice. But how do I play it on linux? (no, I don't want to try it with WINE)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8881 on: December 01, 2011, 01:46:45 pm »

Also, new colony has 415 TL5 installations on it!
Oh wow, that's pretty good.

Sounds nice. But how do I play it on linux? (no, I don't want to try it with WINE)
Then I don't think you'll ever be able to play it on linux.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8882 on: December 01, 2011, 02:09:01 pm »

virtual box and windows, then.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8883 on: December 01, 2011, 02:15:24 pm »

Virtual box won't run smoothely on a netbook, though. :P Well, seems like I have to wait until I buy a new computer or so.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8884 on: December 01, 2011, 02:19:38 pm »

oh, netbook! context, that's what we were missing.

still, netbook don't have enough resolution to run it comfortably. (unless it's one of those 1280x800 that were quickly removed from market)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8885 on: December 01, 2011, 02:21:50 pm »

Even better, the thing's gravity is way too low to be habitable, so I'm obviously going to create hyperdrive orbital habitats to get to it. There, the colonists will ride out eternity.

For reference, the planet is orbiting a class O7-I star, and has an orbital period of approximately 39 million year. Also 62 trillion km is approximately equal to 6.55 light years.

Holy crap. I've never even found an O-class star before. IIRC, the rarity levels are pretty close to predicted real-life populations, so there's something like a 0.01% chance of an O-class star being generated.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8886 on: December 01, 2011, 03:33:47 pm »

I always play with real stars off, so that probably helps. Although that one's only the second O-class I've seen. (I think I saw an O5-Ia once that was about 20 solar masses bigger). I think I also found an M-class supergiant once also.

Can they even pick out their own sun at that distance?

Probably, I think the game has it listed as about 3 million solar luminosities. It'd probably be just a bright point, though.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8887 on: December 01, 2011, 03:35:33 pm »

Okay, so since I can't find this anywhere else, how do I ship minerals from one place to another? I keep hearing about waypoints and whatnot, but what exactly do I need to do? (If I need to set up mass drivers, that's okay, too, but I kind of wanted to avoid that.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8888 on: December 01, 2011, 03:36:49 pm »

If you want to ship them between star systems, you're going to have to do it manually. No civilian contracts for that sort of thing.   

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8889 on: December 01, 2011, 03:38:13 pm »

Okay, so since I can't find this anywhere else, how do I ship minerals from one place to another? I keep hearing about waypoints and whatnot, but what exactly do I need to do? (If I need to set up mass drivers, that's okay, too, but I kind of wanted to avoid that.)
Mass drivers are one way. The other would be to make a ship with cargo holds go to the location, load the minerals, and then go to the destination and unload.

If you want to ship them between star systems, you're going to have to do it manually. In system, though, you can use mass drivers.
Its been a while but you should be able to do it automatically with cargo ships on repeat orders. (load x minerals here, jump to there, unload x minerals there, jump back, repeat

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: December 01, 2011, 03:38:31 pm »

Ship with cargo hold > order to 'load mineral' at mineral source ('load all', or specify type) > order to unload mineral at destination. 'Unload all' works for this. Of course, you also need to have any relevant jumps included in between.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: December 01, 2011, 03:57:32 pm »

Mass drivers are one way. The other would be to make a ship with cargo holds go to the location, load the minerals, and then go to the destination and unload.

If you want to ship them between star systems, you're going to have to do it manually. In system, though, you can use mass drivers.
Its been a while but you should be able to do it automatically with cargo ships on repeat orders. (load x minerals here, jump to there, unload x minerals there, jump back, repeat

Herein lies the problem: Every time I try to manually load minerals someplace, the game has an issue with loading minerals and cans the rest of my orders. Wat do?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8892 on: December 01, 2011, 04:02:15 pm »

Herein lies the problem: Every time I try to manually load minerals someplace, the game has an issue with loading minerals and cans the rest of my orders. Wat do?
Dumb question, but....does the ship have cargo holds? Also, what's the error message it gives you in the Events? Typically, unless you're looking to load a specific mineral or do a staggered delivery, you should be able to select the planet, select "Load Minerals" (this will load the maximum amount available, starting with all the Duranium, then down the list of minerals), choose the destination and then select "Unload All Minerals". You could even then select order to travel back to the starting point, and use the Repeat function to set up an auto-route for a while.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8893 on: December 01, 2011, 04:14:05 pm »

Also, think of inserting a "refuel from colony" order somewhere in your order loop.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8894 on: December 01, 2011, 05:12:27 pm »

If you have two orders of "Load Duranium" "Load Tritanium", then if it fills up its holds with duranium it will whine when it gets to the second one.  It will also whine if either mineral is missing.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 1347