Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818781 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8865 on: December 01, 2011, 12:52:56 am »

I know, right? For the first week or so I kept having OCD-fits because things were different.  :P

Actually, once I got used to it, it is much cleaner, especially with an icon-free desktop.

Unrelated: Not cheating in moving shipyards to Earth from a captured system = 130 days just to get to the first JP. Long waits ahoy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: December 01, 2011, 01:26:49 am »

I already hate this game. Two of my best scientists are in Biology, and what does my new scientist specialize in?

Take a guess.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: December 01, 2011, 01:37:01 am »

......Is it Construction and Production?
:P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: December 01, 2011, 01:39:52 am »

WRONG.

Good news: The new scientist has a decent Geology score, so she's joining this game's first geosurvey team.
Bad news: The team is headed by a guy named Billy Nash

Who was it that got Samuel Jackson? I'm hella jealous now :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: December 01, 2011, 01:40:39 am »

redacted
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:10:36 am by Acperience »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: December 01, 2011, 01:45:10 am »

Also for the event log: On the left side of the system view, on the "display" tab (not display 2) there's a check box near the bottom for "show events" that makes the most recent events show up at the bottom of the map.  This is super useful, if you've been paused for ANOTHER 100 initiative no-skill captain, you don't even have to open the event log to resume turns!

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: December 01, 2011, 02:14:35 am »

Found a system other than sol today! Exploring it now, ATM there is nothing noteworthy, but the whole feeling of entering a randomly generated (it is randomly generated, right?) galaxy with no idea what to suspect is exciting and tense!
Really starting to get into this game now, although it is quite slow paced
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8872 on: December 01, 2011, 02:24:57 am »

ECM reduces the enemy sensor range.  If they have a 100k km fire control, then ECM might reduce that to 50k km or whatever.  It reduces a lot of their range advantage.

Not quite. ECM has no effect on sensor range. It does reduce the range of missile fire controls. For beam fire controls it does not effect the range, it instead imposes a penalty to hit.

Also note you only need one ECM for your ship, but you need one ECCM per firecontrol that will be targeting an ECM'ed ship/missile.

Found a system other than sol today! Exploring it now, ATM there is nothing noteworthy, but the whole feeling of entering a randomly generated (it is randomly generated, right?) galaxy with no idea what to suspect is exciting and tense!

Yep each system is randomly generated. If I recall correctly, if you are playing with "real stars" enabled then steve has set up the probability for single/binary/trinary/nebula star systems to roughly match their real universe equivelents,at least for nearby systems, but the rest of the system planets/asteroids/etc are random. If you are playing with them off it is all random.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:29:41 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: December 01, 2011, 10:18:16 am »

ECM reduces the enemy sensor range.  If they have a 100k km fire control, then ECM might reduce that to 50k km or whatever.  It reduces a lot of their range advantage.

Not quite. ECM has no effect on sensor range. It does reduce the range of missile fire controls. For beam fire controls it does not effect the range, it instead imposes a penalty to hit.

Also note you only need one ECM for your ship, but you need one ECCM per firecontrol that will be targeting an ECM'ed ship/missile.

Yep each system is randomly generated. If I recall correctly, if you are playing with "real stars" enabled then steve has set up the probability for single/binary/trinary/nebula star systems to roughly match their real universe equivelents,at least for nearby systems, but the rest of the system planets/asteroids/etc are random. If you are playing with them off it is all random.

IIRC Real Stars basically uses known stars (i.e. ones we have observed from Earth), and randomly generates systems (possibly based on their class) for them.

On an unrelated note, Samuel Jackson was recent promoted to Commodore, and is in line to recieve command of one of the new destroyer groups, as soon as they start rolling out of the yards.

3. Run Resize Enable

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: December 01, 2011, 10:25:02 am »

Just found a planet with an orbital distance of 62 trillion km. Debating whether to start a colony there.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:05 am »

Hyperdrive for great justice? Just drop a load of colonists and construction factories (if it doesn't need terraforming, otherwise, do that first with hyper-capable terraformers). The up side is that it will be entirely self-sufficient, so even if the rest of your empire gets iced, it'll be safe, because AFAIK AI can't figure out hyperdrives.

3. Run Resize Enable

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: December 01, 2011, 10:42:43 am »

Even better, the thing's gravity is way too low to be habitable, so I'm obviously going to create hyperdrive orbital habitats to get to it. There, the colonists will ride out eternity.

For reference, the planet is orbiting a class O7-I star, and has an orbital period of approximately 39 million year. Also 62 trillion km is approximately equal to 6.55 light years.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: December 01, 2011, 12:31:03 pm »

Can they even pick out their own sun at that distance?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8878 on: December 01, 2011, 12:37:17 pm »

That sounds like an interesting science fiction story- the universe is connected by jump lanes, and this sole remaining human colony is the single most remote colony is the known universe solely because it's far from a jump point.

And now, the crude alien menace is approaching, with only a few hundred years to go.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: December 01, 2011, 12:44:21 pm »

So basically two eyelashes from half of the pulp SF novels ever written.  :P

Also, new colony has 415 TL5 installations on it!

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 1347