Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819062 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8625 on: November 21, 2011, 09:22:10 pm »

boring...i like the X series because of its combat which is really good.

this is a derail right?
Yes, and you're being annoying about it. This isn't the place to discuss what you dislike about EVE and what you like about the X series.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: November 21, 2011, 10:00:39 pm »

so many windows to open instead of just one

mainly that it got cluttered and so many ythings that didnt make sense.
There's a reason the thread title says "The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games".
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: November 21, 2011, 10:01:14 pm »

In relevant information: Apparently the maximum allowable survey bonus for geo team members is 60%, so now I've got a fully maxed team and an unsurveyed Earth.  :)

Also, decided to tinker with my survey ship design to get one that has a bit of early warning capacity and the legs to run away with:

Code: [Select]
Saint's Ridge III class Gravitational Survey Vessel    1,000 tons     95 Crew     229.8 BP      TCS 20  TH 115  EM 0
5750 km/s    JR 1-50     Armour 1-8     Shields 0-0     Sensors 11/1/1/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Life 9.79 Years     MSP 144    AFR 8%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 3    5YR 41    Max Repair 100 MSP

J1200(1-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 1200 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 1
Internal Confinement Fusion Drive E6.5 (1)    Power 115    Fuel Use 65%    Signature 115    Armour 0    Exp 12%
Fuel Capacity 125,000 Litres    Range 346.2 billion km   (696 days at full power)

Thermal Sensor TH1-11 (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  11m km
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: November 21, 2011, 10:41:22 pm »

So what is everyone's favorite types of government, and such? I'm a fan of being a Meritocracy, since I love me some research. It seems that a decent portion of the governments just make it harder, as in giving you a reduced amount of shipyards and research labs, etc.

Are there any unlisted effects that the varied governments give, though?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: November 21, 2011, 10:43:30 pm »

Various governments affect the disposition of your race...  like xenophobia, trade, diplomacy and whatnot.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: November 21, 2011, 10:54:57 pm »

I usually just leave it with the default player race, and then edit everything else to my liking via the racial details screen.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: November 21, 2011, 10:58:02 pm »

I usually roll with Imperial Monarchy, because it gives +10 to Diplomacy, Expansionism, Militancy, and trading, with no negatives.

On another note, my galactic map is slowly becoming increasingly tangled up. Strangely, the only contacts I've had are a heavy Precursor force in Sandhurst (plus some lighter ones I've wiped out) and a single, neutral survey ship from some imperium I've never met or heard of before or after that flew through Sol a decade ago.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: November 22, 2011, 12:33:31 am »

so many windows to open instead of just one

mainly that it got cluttered and so many ythings that didnt make sense.
There's a reason the thread title says "The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games".

I'm fine with DF now, someone helped with farming and now I'm great, but Aurora has so many windows instead of one window and multiple menus, but I will try it when i stop reading a strange fanfic called Beating The Heat and playing Halo.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: November 22, 2011, 03:51:45 am »

I just go with Player Race. Never actually checked the stats, though...

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: November 22, 2011, 03:57:40 am »

Are short range, high yield missile worth it? You need some way to get within knife range might be the biggest problem.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: November 22, 2011, 04:13:20 am »

Are short range, high yield missile worth it? You need some way to get within knife range might be the biggest problem.
Well, short range... knife fight range, there are many alternative weapons...  I figure the plasma carrinade(sp?) would be your big hitter if you are going for power.  Others, well depends on what you are looking for. 

Also, you would have to deal with PD being more of a problem in this range, unless you use a swarm, still a chance of them hitting your missile before it becomes a swarm if it is a breakaway..   

If you are researching only missiles, well gotta do what you gotta do.  Swarm missiles are your best bet. So yea, lots of launchers... instead of breakaway is what I would recommend.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: November 22, 2011, 05:03:23 am »

Not really, since fuel doesn't use that much space. You could also make it slow, but then it will very likely get shot down unless your ships are tanking all the AM fire.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: November 22, 2011, 05:13:34 am »

the biggest problem will be adding strain to missile logistic for something that could be more efficiently done by beams.

a three tubes amm ship fires two thousand missiles per hours, and I have fleets of them. I don't know about your production capacity, but I can barely keep up.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: November 22, 2011, 05:19:08 am »

Just gotta bring more to a fight then the enemy

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8639 on: November 22, 2011, 06:21:22 am »

In relevant information: Apparently the maximum allowable survey bonus for geo team members is 60%, so now I've got a fully maxed team and an unsurveyed Earth.  :)

Having had a response from Steve over a related thing, 60% is not the absolute limit on their skill, rather it is the point at which they will gain no further skill. Where this is important is that officers serving in a taskforce command can gain skill increases, usually of 5% but occasionally 10%. So if you let a survey officer get up to 59% through surveying then swap him over as the survey officer of a taskforce that has ships surveying he can have a skill gain that puts him up to 64% or potentially 69%. Whether this is worthwhile taking the (potentially very long) time for the officer to gain that boost and not be out surveying in the meantime is up to you, though they will still be applying their bonus to any survey ships of their taskforce in the system.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:29:42 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 1347