Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819470 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8265 on: November 10, 2011, 07:39:33 pm »

Welp, I designed my first Assault Shuttle (2 companies each) and a Mothership that can hold 2 of them. The catch is the shuttles go about 6000 km/s. Which is why I grouped the Mothership with the rest of the fleet I am going to use to run over the New Aberdeen Conciousness with. I plan to stop the ship with the help of liberal amounts of missiles, then send my boarders crashing through the holes and take the ship.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: November 10, 2011, 07:50:53 pm »

* MaximumZero fires up Aurora for the first time.
* MaximumZero is easily confused.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: November 10, 2011, 07:58:00 pm »

Yeah, Aurora tends to do that.

Read the tutorials, ask questions here, that's pretty much the standard way to learn.

You can also ask on the official forums too.

Good luck.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8268 on: November 10, 2011, 08:02:16 pm »

Welp, I designed my first Assault Shuttle (2 companies each) and a Mothership that can hold 2 of them. The catch is the shuttles go about 6000 km/s. Which is why I grouped the Mothership with the rest of the fleet I am going to use to run over the New Aberdeen Conciousness with. I plan to stop the ship with the help of liberal amounts of missiles, then send my boarders crashing through the holes and take the ship.

If you are going for boarding actions just use 1 company per assult shuttle and bring more shuttles. Even if you cause damage to slow down a ship, unless you have very high tech engines you will not be able to get close to the 20x target speed needed to not take casualties from just trying to land on the target with 2 drop transports per shuttle.

* MaximumZero fires up Aurora for the first time.
* MaximumZero is easily confused.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Don't be afraid to create many games just to play around with the various parts of the game. Use SM mode to set up situations and experiment with different orders/ship designs/component designs at different levels of tech.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:07:19 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: November 10, 2011, 08:24:31 pm »

So... Is there any way to compare owned systems if the two races use different naming systems via developer mode? I can't seem to find the New Aberdeen Conciousness' home system, they're jumping in somewhere from a gate my sensors missed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: November 10, 2011, 08:28:46 pm »

So... Is there any way to compare owned systems if the two races use different naming systems via developer mode? I can't seem to find the New Aberdeen Conciousness' home system, they're jumping in somewhere from a gate my sensors missed.

If you've got a hidden point in your systems, the only ways to reveal it would be: Enter it from the other side, conquer a civ with knowledge of it, and (IIRC) have an active sensor painting one of their ships as it transits the point. Might be wrong on the last one, though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: November 10, 2011, 08:31:06 pm »

and (IIRC) have an active sensor painting one of their ships as it transits the point. Might be wrong on the last one, though.
Yeah, I spotted a point when one of the enemy ships jumped and I was tracking it, which eventually lead to another dead end.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: November 10, 2011, 09:33:08 pm »

Thinking of doing a proper AAR in the few spare moments when I'm not writing To Set Right writing my parts of the collab writing papers for some class or another procrastinating while surfing the internet busy. I'll post a bit of an introduction in a bit and see how much you all hate my writing.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: November 10, 2011, 10:06:09 pm »

Oh hey, that system I chased the Aberdeen ship into wasn't surveyed after all >.>

Time to check it out and find those bastards.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: November 10, 2011, 10:50:25 pm »

Doubletoast: can you queue shipyard tasks? I focus on something else after setting a job for a shipyard then forgot to do what I was going to do next when the first job is finished.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: November 10, 2011, 10:51:33 pm »

Nope.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: November 10, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »

Well, this is strange. I have the setting "all jump points have jump gates" on and I just jumped into a new-found system with my scout. It's the norm, uninhabitable planets orbiting a single star with a lot of asteroids. The weird part? The jump point doesn't have a gate on this side... Now my scout is stranded there.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: November 10, 2011, 11:18:31 pm »

Just bite the bullet and start playing with autogates off: It'll improve your strategy, help keep rabble away from your home system, and you can very easily make jump-capable survey vessels with the starting free RP. (Military for two reasons: MilJDs are much smaller, and it lets me easily retool between geo and grav survey construction. I also use fairly standard house rules that I play with maint. off to save on pointless micromanagement, but design ships as if it were on.)

Code: [Select]
Discovery class Geological Survey Vessel    1,000 tons     93 Crew     242.8 BP      TCS 20  TH 60  EM 0
3000 km/s    JR 1-50     Armour 1-8     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/2     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Life 8.84 Years     MSP 152    AFR 8%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 3    5YR 52    Max Repair 150 MSP

J1200(1-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 1200 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 1
Ion Engine E8 (1)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 225.0 billion km   (868 days at full power)

Improved Geological Sensors (1)   2 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

3. Run Resize Enable

aaron32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: November 10, 2011, 11:53:58 pm »

In my latest game, I found a -few- planets with "Colony's", It gives me the option to refuel and resupply, But my sensors show NO life at ALL on the planet, Just wondering what this is, Thanks.

P.S: Also, How would I access the event log?
(Probably Ex)Admin on Urist McStation, A space station 13 server.
Link: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123140.0

It's pretty cool. Check it out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: November 11, 2011, 12:08:50 am »

In my latest game, I found a -few- planets with "Colony's", It gives me the option to refuel and resupply, But my sensors show NO life at ALL on the planet, Just wondering what this is, Thanks.

P.S: Also, How would I access the event log?

IIRC this is a bug. For events, on the System View window, either click the "show events" checkbox in the Display tab on the left, or click the gold and yellow button second from the right on the top row, in order to open a new window with additional options for viewing events, such as non-combat filters.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 1347