Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819502 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8235 on: November 10, 2011, 02:45:03 am »

Adding more complex physics and sillyness would be great

"Poke a hole into our own fuel tanker and let the crew come on our ship, turn all sensors on it on and let there sensors pick up that thermal signature, while we hide next to this nebula... "~from the planning desk of the fleet Captain...

(Yes, fuel does not burn in space, we asume we start a controlled, long term fire in the tanker somehow and somehow produce enough air for it to work.)

Having a way for crew to move to another ship if you are at 0 range from it (albeit slowly and far less effective then by pod) would be nice.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: November 10, 2011, 02:57:49 am »

Hm... apparently my Recon Frigate doesn't have sensitive enough thermal passive sensors to notice the alien ships in this new system, but also the alien ships also don't have sensitive enough thermal passive sensors to detect my Recon Frigate, which has a specialized high efficiency low-emissions engine..

However, the alien ship was easily able to spot my pair of Jump Freighters that entered the system, as it turned on its active sensors and let me know it was there. 

As I've already scanned the only inhabitable planet in the solar system (There are only 2 planets), I'm going to take a guess that these bastards are not NPRs but instead are Precursors.  Yay.. :| Time to go scan the other planet!

Edit: Even better! Not precursors.. but.. The Swarm! :\ Actually, my design philosophy of large amounts of gauss cannon turrets might be effective against their small ships (which are currently tearing apart my two freighters), unless their range outranges mine. 

Well this is odd.  I snuck a Geology team to the near-inhabitable planet in the system with the Swarm, and not long after my two freighter wrecks were absorbed, I got a message on Asgard about an alien ship orbiting the planet causing massive amounts of radiation.  O.o Do Swarm ships do that? Thats kinda scary... and not cool, as I really liked this planet :(
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:16:26 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: November 10, 2011, 03:31:19 am »

First Surveyed system has 800 ton wreaks in it, some have started dissappearing, i shouls put some sensors into the system and see what's going on.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: November 10, 2011, 03:54:52 am »

Sounds like swarm meson FACs... I'd wager the reason they're disappearing is the swarm cannabalising the wrecks.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: November 10, 2011, 03:56:25 am »

This is truly a spoiler, it's data on how the swarm acts.  Since you seem to not know how they work, I advise you to arm up and rush blind into battle.  Dwarf Points if you're blind and drunk.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: November 10, 2011, 04:09:19 am »

I'm designing my fleet around swarm-like tactics myself.

My Carrier Cruisers (18,000 tons) will each carry 8 250 Ton Fighters.  Each Carrier is armed with numerous laser turrets with a range greater than 60,000 km, as thats the observed ranged of my Swarm's Mesons.  I'm going to focus extensively on damage control rather than armor, as those mesons will tear up my insides.  It'll be like regenerative armor almost.. *Grins*  Fighters will be mostly dog-fighters to take out the Swarmlings, then I'll bring in numerous Frigates (2000 tons) meant to take out the Queen.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: November 10, 2011, 04:17:04 am »

Well i rush built some 3000 ton frigates and sent em in for a looksee, then realised i hadn't built any missiles (forgot completely that they need to be built manually) so at this point i basically just fed them in exchange for some intel (So far i know their speed is barely below my missiles, they sent 50 ships to meet my 3, and er, they have puny energy weapons)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: November 10, 2011, 04:27:00 am »

Thats why I don't like missiles lol.  I'm relying on good ol' beam weapons. 

I've found out that its going to take roughly 10 years to get my shipyards big enough to build said 18,000 ton Cruiser, so in the mean time I'm designing Frigates (2000 t) and Destroyers (6000 t).

The frigates will be the same - meant to take out the Mothership.  The destroyers will focus on mounting large numbers of small laser turrets to take out the FACs, as well as having some form of damage control.  I also need a specialized frigate (or three) for detection purposes. 

Failing this, I'll bring in that Cruiser i'm working on.  I wish I had energy weapons and kinetic weapons researchers though :\

I've also realized that those two 41,000 ton freighters that they destroyed earlier are probably a feast for 'em.. o.O
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:29:28 am by Crustypeanut »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: November 10, 2011, 10:32:25 am »

I'm wondering.. how well does Damage Control work during combat? Is it more of an after combat thing, or if I use enough of them, can I make the ship's innards act like they're regenerative during combat, provided I have enough damage control rating (252 in my ships case) and enough maintenance supplies (15,000+ with max repair 120ish)?

My enemy uses Mesons.. and I'm not going to be able to kill them from range, as their reported range is about 100k km.

When I do get around to fighting them.. its going to be a dog fight of massive proportion.  I'm going to be fielding three Fighter Carriers, each with 20 Fighters.  Each fighter has two 17% accuracy gauss cannons with a RoF of 3.  I'm also going to be bringing in 10 Destroyers each mounting four dual laser turrets.  Last time I saw the enemy, they had about 50 FAC themselves, although I'm sure its alot higher now, as they've not only salvaged one of my recon frigates, but they've been allowed free reign of that system for years..
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:25:25 am by Crustypeanut »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: November 10, 2011, 12:01:33 pm »

I'm wondering.. how well does Damage Control work during combat? Is it more of an after combat thing, or if I use enough of them, can I make the ship's innards act like they're regenerative during combat, provided I have enough damage control rating (252 in my ships case) and enough maintenance supplies (15,000+ with max repair 120ish)?

My enemy uses Mesons.. and I'm not going to be able to kill them from range, as their reported range is about 100k km.

When I do get around to fighting them.. its going to be a dog fight of massive proportion.  I'm going to be fielding three Fighter Carriers, each with 20 Fighters.  Each fighter has two 17% accuracy gauss cannons with a RoF of 3.  I'm also going to be bringing in 10 Destroyers each mounting four dual laser turrets.  Last time I saw the enemy, they had about 50 FAC themselves, although I'm sure its alot higher now, as they've not only salvaged one of my recon frigates, but they've been allowed free reign of that system for years..

Much more of an after-combat thing, as it can take upwards of several days to repair many components. You're also limited by your Maint. supplies; repairing an active sensor can drain more than 1000, which is more than most small ships carry. If you're against meson-armed opponents, the best way to deal is to stay out of range. You also can't repair armor with DC. The last time I had a 6-ship squadron of light cruisers take down a system full of Precursors, they were all at 0 maint supplies, despite the fact that only 2 had taken more than armor damage, that they all had decent DC and engineering space, and there were still modules that needed repair aboard those two. I had to transfer supplies from my jump tender and salvagers to complete field repairs while they hunted minefields and Listening posts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: November 10, 2011, 12:06:23 pm »

Oh great, so my ships are going to be walking into a slaughter fest eh?  I've based most of their defences around damage control, since my main enemy only uses Mesons.  Each Cruiser has 252 Damage Control and over 17,000 Maint Supplies, with their max repair being 132ish.  They're not going to be out in the field long, as they're returning home as soon as the battle's over.  I just want these damn Star Swarms out of my neighboring system.. its a nice planet there :X

Sadly, range isn't an option for a few reasons - One, I swore I'm not using missiles this game, so I'm relying entirely on beam weapons.  Two, they slightly outrange my best guns.  And three, they're faster than my destroyers and cruisers, so even if I had range, I wouldn't be able to keep it.  I'm going to be relying primarily on my five dozen fighters to win the day, along with my destroyers if they can get in range.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: November 10, 2011, 12:53:06 pm »

About the Swarm:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I haven't really bothered the Swarm in my game so far, I've fed them enough already :P. I'm going to drop by one day then drop some missiles with powerful sensors and warheads just short of planet busters then get the hell out of there.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: November 10, 2011, 01:28:02 pm »

appaerantly I cannot vcolonise callisto because it is unsuitable.
how do I fix this? terraform it?
I'd go for titan, but it has no resources whatsoever.
Unsuitable Colony Cost=too low gravity, which cannot be Terraformed. If the Colony Cost is "Unsuitable", then there's no chance of that body ever being a habitable body for that race.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: November 10, 2011, 01:31:20 pm »

Well, I'm fighting the Swarm.. its not going as planned.  Instead of making a Beeline to my Cruisers, they instead are playing chicken with my fighters.  They have a 2,000 km/s speed advantage, but I have three separate squadrons, so I'm working on surrounding the tards. I think if I can get in range (Mind you, point blank range), my ships should be able to wreck 'em.

My destroyers are on route, but they're slower than hell.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: November 10, 2011, 01:33:08 pm »

appaerantly I cannot vcolonise callisto because it is unsuitable.
how do I fix this? terraform it?
I'd go for titan, but it has no resources whatsoever.
Unsuitable Colony Cost=too low gravity, which cannot be Terraformed. If the Colony Cost is "Unsuitable", then there's no chance of that body ever being a habitable body for that race.
Not quite true.

With genetic engineering, you could make a new species of human with much greater gravity tolerance. Of course, that's a long an expensive process, and some people say that it's more trouble than it's worth, but it may be a fun project.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 1347