Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819779 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8025 on: October 31, 2011, 12:21:10 am »

Eh, simplified missiles are alright.  I'm a missile junkie and I don't see any problem with the style.  It keeps things simple without forcing you to design ANOTHER set of components and balance.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: October 31, 2011, 12:22:00 am »

I'm a bit of a fighter junky as of late myself, as you'll soon notice in the community empire  :P
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: October 31, 2011, 12:35:32 am »

Considering being able to control the entire empire concurrently implies instantaneous comms, even a lightspeed weapon would be detectable before it could travel to anything but the most out-lying planets.

What are you detecting it with exactly? Instantanious comms is done with a a specific scientific principle that cannot be used for detection to my knowledge because you have to carry it with you.

Regular sensors? You have sensor stations on the outer rim of the system. Assuming something like radar (i.e. you beam a signal into space, and read the reflection) you'll pick up the signal of a missile travelling at 0.999c (again, going back to the earlier point of ftl outside the system only) about the same time the missile passes the station. Then there are still several hours of travel time back to the inner planets, during which your instantaneous comms would inform your squishy targets, and relay the trajectory of the missile.

The problem with actually stopping a relativistic weapon (as opposed to turning it into a relativistic cloud that will still smash your shit up) is harder to counter. That said, it's also a lot more likely to get handwaved away for gameplay reasons.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: October 31, 2011, 02:06:22 am »

Btw guys, I found out you CANNOT use a Ground Force Training Facility on Luna.  When trying to train units, it never progresses.  So it seems you need population, which does make sense.  Oh well, WE WILL STILL TRAIN ON VALHALLA!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: October 31, 2011, 02:34:12 am »

I really need to go ahead and reinstall the latest version of Aurora. I'm missing out. :P To this day, I still haven't encountered the Swarm. I'm going to make it my mission to hunt down the Swarm. I'll probably die in a fiery blaze of glory, but hey; Losing is FUN!

I'm hitting the bed. Just finished the first turn of Pixel Station: Hyperion, my Aurora/X-COM -like scifi pixel game. Hehe. I really fucked my guys over, I know they'll enjoy the dramatic pre-Turn I just posted. :P

I'm glad half of my players are RP GMs; experience makes for FUN times.

Anyway, goodnight all. :) Have fun with Invaders and Swarm :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8030 on: October 31, 2011, 02:48:41 am »

Girlinhat, you know how you wanted to engineer a new race to survive lower gravity?

Engineer them for that, then terraform Luna and have our marines train there.  Vikings, well suited for low gravity, will make perfect marines for boarding ships! As it stands, in my singleplayer game (I'm mostly done with the community game, just need to write it up), I'm having to transport every company and battalion I train by hand over there, since I can't train new troops on Luna itself.  Until I get a new breed of Vikings to live there, of course.  *Grins*

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: October 31, 2011, 02:59:33 am »

I'm hitting the bed. Just finished the first turn of Pixel Station: Hyperion, my Aurora/X-COM -like scifi pixel game. Hehe. I really fucked my guys over, I know they'll enjoy the dramatic pre-Turn I just posted. :P

Wait, what is this Pixel Station thing? Sounds fun :O
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8032 on: October 31, 2011, 03:01:20 am »

Btw guys, I found out you CANNOT use a Ground Force Training Facility on Luna.  When trying to train units, it never progresses.  So it seems you need population, which does make sense.  Oh well, WE WILL STILL TRAIN ON VALHALLA!
A use for orbital habitats? Oh my!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: October 31, 2011, 03:29:21 am »

Wait, what is this Pixel Station thing? Sounds fun :O

Sort of an LP. Forum-based roleplay game I created, its in my sig. :) OP is the intro, last page has Turn 0, the real-time intro of the Twelve starting players. Fun stuff!
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8034 on: October 31, 2011, 05:03:10 am »

Aurora 2 is Aurora with conventional physics, Newtonian physics like acceleration and stuff.  Current TN Aurora allows instant acceleration, no real mass limits, and a general "soft sci-fi" feeling.  Aurora 2 is an overhaul that does away with jump points and replaces them with interstellar drives and deep space.  Check the forums for a good description, but basically it's a more "hard sci-fi" version that's different enough to constitute a new game.  The choice of title between "Newtonian Aurora" or "Aurora 2" is purely cosmetic.  2 usually implies improved, but in this case implies a difference of style.

Actually aurora 2 is seperate from newtonian aurora. Aurora 2 is primarily an eventual rebuild of aurora into a more modern programming language than vb6. Steve is using newtonian aurora to test whether the idea of newtonian propulsion actually works for the purposes that he want's it to. He has recently stated that he is not sure if it will work and be playable, but if it does then he may decide to include it in aurora 2 in the future.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: October 31, 2011, 08:42:50 am »

Dang Aurora 2 even when I hear isn't Newtonian Aurora isn't trying to fix up the UI a little bit.

CURSE YOU AURORA!!! CURSE YOU TO THE PITS OF DAMNATION FROM WHENST YOU SPAWNED!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: October 31, 2011, 09:48:35 am »

UI doesn't need fixing. :P If it was simpler, there's be fewer options in the game. Also, completely re-designing the UI for the benefit of a minuscule number of players is just stressful and a waste of time. We can get by without the entire UI being revamped when the current one works; as long as we learn to work with the resolution. :P I couldn't play when I started because an inch of my screen is broken at the bottom plus I have a small laptop. After messing with settings, I got it to work and I never had an problem with the interface since!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8037 on: October 31, 2011, 11:16:20 am »

UI doesn't need fixing. :P If it was simpler, there's be fewer options in the game. Also, completely re-designing the UI for the benefit of a minuscule number of players is just stressful and a waste of time. We can get by without the entire UI being revamped when the current one works; as long as we learn to work with the resolution. :P I couldn't play when I started because an inch of my screen is broken at the bottom plus I have a small laptop. After messing with settings, I got it to work and I never had an problem with the interface since!

Agreed. If I can get it to work without problems on a 1024x768 laptop, it is good enough. If you're trying to run it on an iPad or one of those minilaptops, you're doing it wrong.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: October 31, 2011, 11:32:27 am »

Agreed. If I can get it to work without problems on a 1024x768 laptop, it is good enough. If you're trying to run it on an iPad or one of those minilaptops, you're doing it wrong.

While I understand what you guys are saying, the idea that an interface is not the most important thing if those who need to use it can doesn't really work all that well for games... for a business, I understand it. Using a twenty year old terminal setup to run a business inventory/sales database is fine, since the only people who need to use it are the people paid to use it, so they'll learn it whether they like it or not.

A game is almost entirely entertainment - nobody's paid to play it. If Aurora was just a little more accessible, more people would play it. It says a lot that I grasped the basics of the Dwarf Fortress UI fairly quickly, and Aurora is still a struggle to play with.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:34:50 am by KatalDT »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: October 31, 2011, 11:49:39 am »

While I understand what you guys are saying, the idea that an interface is not the most important thing if those who need to use it can doesn't really work all that well for games... for a business, I understand it. Using a twenty year old terminal setup to run a business inventory/sales database is fine, since the only people who need to use it are the people paid to use it, so they'll learn it whether they like it or not.

A game is almost entirely entertainment - nobody's paid to play it. If Aurora was just a little more accessible, more people would play it. It says a lot that I grasped the basics of the Dwarf Fortress UI fairly quickly, and Aurora is still a struggle to play with.

The thing is, Steve has basically outright stated that he is making Aurora for his own entertainment, and that he doesn't really care that much whether other people choose not to play it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 1347