Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820159 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7740 on: October 28, 2011, 08:13:05 pm »

A conditional order such as "Survey Nearest Body When Available" would be nice, for the sake of not having to turn off the "Survey Nearest Body" order on your geosurvey ships when you enter an empty system, then turn it off and possibly forget it when you send them to the recently discovered one.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: October 28, 2011, 08:23:40 pm »

Job cancel spam, must be dwarves hired for pilots...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: October 28, 2011, 08:28:59 pm »

The gunners must be dwarves as well.

"SHOOT THE ENEMY SHIPS YOU OAF!"
"What, sir? I can't here you over the sound of the antimatter missiles ripping our hull apart!"

It's funny, my laser ships chilled on Earth during that clusterfuck NPR scenario with their thumbs up their asses while they got shot at.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: October 28, 2011, 08:34:54 pm »

I'm still trying to figure out any amount of automatic combat...  My attempts at "autofire" caused my ships to ignore their fire control setup and fire 100 missiles at a frigate.  I'd had each ship with 2 FC and 10 tubes, should be launching 5 missiles at each ship.  Instead when I hit autofire, they clumped all tubes to one FC and fired them all at the same ship.  Sure, it killed it, but left alone this wasted about 80 missiles in one volley and another 200 as they kept reloading and firing!  So far I can only think to micromanage it, which gets to be hell when the enemy has 30 ships, I've got 10 FC total, and I need to wait for every salvo to hit before firing the next.  I could saturate the field with missiles, 50 second reload and 3 hour flight time, I can easily launch enough to obliterate the enemy, but the damned fire scheme makes it all but impossible.

Am I missing a trick?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: October 28, 2011, 08:39:12 pm »

I never really got autofire to work properly. I would guess if you designed some missiles rigged with sensors you could have them re-acquire targets when they turn the first ship into space dust, which might make your spam useful.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: October 28, 2011, 08:45:08 pm »

Yeah, even a .01 size thermal should be able to detect a running engine that's right on top of it, make it easy to retarget ships in the same enemy TG.  Still, I feel I'm missing some key element to targeted fire...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: October 28, 2011, 08:49:52 pm »

Yeah... Luckily, I've never faced many ships so I just micromanage the combat.

Some random aliens jumped my geosurvey vessel with many ships with thermal sigs of 160, all of them using kinetic/energy weapons. That's not it, though, for a single increment, I saw one of their wrecks appear in a system I have no presence in, then disappear the next... Also, the wreck of my geosurvey ship is gone...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: October 28, 2011, 08:50:36 pm »

Yeah... Luckily, I've never faced many ships so I just micromanage the combat.

Some random aliens jumped my geosurvey vessel with many ships with thermal sigs of 160, all of them using kinetic/energy weapons. That's not it, though, for a single increment, I saw one of their wrecks appear in a system I have no presence in, then disappear the next... Also, the wreck of my geosurvey ship is gone...
Space Swarm Maybe ? Or highly advanced NPR?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: October 28, 2011, 08:52:37 pm »

I really, really hope not. They're right next door to sol *shudder*

Hey, another one dropped dead. 800 ton "Rakshasa" class vessels.

That portrait is really effin creepy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:54:42 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: October 28, 2011, 08:59:52 pm »

I have only encountered 1 source of 800 ton ships so far and I usually run away screaming like a little baby girl.  In a manly way of course.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: October 28, 2011, 09:01:39 pm »

It's probably like a flea or a mite or something. That doesn't make it any less terrifying.

Fun fact: Rakshasas are demons in Buddhist/Hindu lore. They're not generally very nice. Kind of fitting.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: October 28, 2011, 09:05:02 pm »

Whoever they are, they're chasing something (or fleeing) and getting shot at. Every few increments a new wreck will appear at a new place in the Wolf system. Seems to be clustered around one of the terrestrial worlds. Maybe they're attacking a Precursor base?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: October 28, 2011, 09:09:55 pm »

Swarms act differently.  I checked the forums, I know how they operate, but you seem to be enjoying the discovery aspect, so I won't spoiler you.  Enjoy strange enemies~

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: October 28, 2011, 09:16:07 pm »

Gravitational survey sensors turn vessels into military ships? Didn't know that...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: October 28, 2011, 09:23:41 pm »

Yep, but geosurvery does not.  It doesn't hurt to add military sensors to your grav survey ships, as they're usually the first in the system and can utilize the advanced warning to high-tail it out!
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 1347