Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820356 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7575 on: October 24, 2011, 10:58:50 pm »

The workers extract material from planets in a similar way to asteroid miners. When they have enough, they use it to create a "wreck" in orbit of the planet, which is really just a glob of TNEs but you can salvage it.
Now that I've quoted this line, someone, somewhere, is going to take advantage of this. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7576 on: October 24, 2011, 11:21:28 pm »

The workers extract material from planets in a similar way to asteroid miners. When they have enough, they use it to create a "wreck" in orbit of the planet, which is really just a glob of TNEs but you can salvage it.
Now that I've quoted this line, someone, somewhere, is going to take advantage of this. :P

Yes! That was it exactly! Good thing I didn't spend a few hours wading through the Aurora forums failing to find that, eh?

>.>

<.<

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7577 on: October 25, 2011, 01:15:22 am »

yeah the search on the aurora forums is really wonky. I only found this because I ran accross it a couple of days ago while looking for something else.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: October 25, 2011, 01:59:16 am »

If I'm recalling correctly, missiles that impact immediately/within five seconds after being fired are incapable of being shot done due to the sequence of play preventing sensors from detecting them before impact.

No, Bremen is right.

actually, he's not. in the last version(s) point blank missiles ignore all turret defences (I've not tested with ciws as I don't generally use them) there is a post way back of Steve that wasn't sure to fix it up or to keep it as a 'feature'. it's still there, so it hasn't been tackled or deliberately left.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:05:35 am by LoSboccacc »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: October 25, 2011, 05:51:03 am »

After all this time, I managed to build up enough to fight back against some of those god damned drones!

Went in there with four ships each armed with armor 7 layers thick, and something like... 12x AMM launchers with 250ish missiles, and 5x ASM launchers with 60ish missiles.  Weirdly, the (only three!) enemy ships never turned on their active sensors...they just locked onto my sensors and started firing away, denting my armor every once in a while when a stray missile went through.  They came into active sensor range (30mkm) at around the same time I ran out of AMMs, and sadly their ECM meant that I couldn't even shoot at them...so in panic I killed my active sensors and dropped speed to like 500 km/s.  Somehow it worked, they lost track of me, and I sneaked back home (apparently they flew away from me when they lost me, so I couldn't pop up and launch a ton of stuff at them).  No casualties on either side.

...I refitted, upgraded my missile fire control with much longer range, and piled a bunch more AMMs on there.  I'll see how this goes tomorrow.  I still live in fear of what will happen when the star swarm wakes up and decides to throw a fit.  Any tips on dealing with a fresh colony, once they pop out that queen?  I've had a ship waiting around by the jump point out of their system so I can see when they do, but I have no idea what the hell I'll do then.  Five billion missiles, I guess?  I've got a series of agile short-range ASMs that I'm working on; I'm planning to make WH9s that have at least a 30% chance of hitting 10k km/s, but very short range, and send out a fleet of ships with three 20-res missile fire controls each (and a big pile of launchers, natch).  Does that sound reasonable?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7580 on: October 25, 2011, 08:03:09 am »

I've had some luck with arrays of plasma cannons (with multiple FCs) teched up to outrange their mesons and then fitted on something that can outrun Swarm drones, like gunboats.

I suppose high ROF particle beams could work too, although it'll take a lot longer.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: October 25, 2011, 10:40:20 am »

If I'm recalling correctly, missiles that impact immediately/within five seconds after being fired are incapable of being shot done due to the sequence of play preventing sensors from detecting them before impact.

No, Bremen is right.

actually, he's not. in the last version(s) point blank missiles ignore all turret defences (I've not tested with ciws as I don't generally use them) there is a post way back of Steve that wasn't sure to fix it up or to keep it as a 'feature'. it's still there, so it hasn't been tackled or deliberately left.

You're wrong about the situation. It isn't that ships were launching missiles and they were impacting in the same round (possible, but rare, since missile ships would have to enter beam range to do it), but rather the missiles were moving from outside PD range to impact in one round. In this situation final defensive fire does indeed work.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: October 25, 2011, 10:50:23 am »

I'm not talking about your specific situation.

it still holds true that missile that launch and impact within the same 5 second aren't shoot down by final fire point defences.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: October 25, 2011, 10:52:08 am »

I'm not talking about your specific situation.

it still holds true that missile that launch and impact within the same 5 second aren't shoot down by final fire point defences.

I never said otherwise, so it kind of irks me you're claiming I'm wrong.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: October 25, 2011, 11:04:37 am »

sorry, I did not mean to offend you. just that the quote within the pyramid as a whole was not a correct interpretation of what the game does.

I refer to this one particular post:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47678.msg2707860#msg2707860

actually, it was flying dice claiming it.

group hug?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: October 25, 2011, 11:59:07 am »

After all this time, I managed to build up enough to fight back against some of those god damned drones!

Went in there with four ships each armed with armor 7 layers thick, and something like... 12x AMM launchers with 250ish missiles, and 5x ASM launchers with 60ish missiles.  Weirdly, the (only three!) enemy ships never turned on their active sensors...they just locked onto my sensors and started firing away, denting my armor every once in a while when a stray missile went through.  They came into active sensor range (30mkm) at around the same time I ran out of AMMs, and sadly their ECM meant that I couldn't even shoot at them...so in panic I killed my active sensors and dropped speed to like 500 km/s.  Somehow it worked, they lost track of me, and I sneaked back home (apparently they flew away from me when they lost me, so I couldn't pop up and launch a ton of stuff at them).  No casualties on either side.

...I refitted, upgraded my missile fire control with much longer range, and piled a bunch more AMMs on there.  I'll see how this goes tomorrow.  I still live in fear of what will happen when the star swarm wakes up and decides to throw a fit.  Any tips on dealing with a fresh colony, once they pop out that queen?  I've had a ship waiting around by the jump point out of their system so I can see when they do, but I have no idea what the hell I'll do then.  Five billion missiles, I guess?  I've got a series of agile short-range ASMs that I'm working on; I'm planning to make WH9s that have at least a 30% chance of hitting 10k km/s, but very short range, and send out a fleet of ships with three 20-res missile fire controls each (and a big pile of launchers, natch).  Does that sound reasonable?

That's impossible. They need active sensors to fire at you, just like you need it to fire at them. More likely is that a long-range active sensor picked you up, and you couldn't detect it. Which is fucking scary.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: October 25, 2011, 12:02:43 pm »

Don't you need an EM sensor in order to detect active sensors?

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: October 25, 2011, 12:49:15 pm »

Yeah, I think all ships have a strength one EM sensor built in by default, but that isn't enough to detect anything except at virtually point blank range.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: October 25, 2011, 01:44:12 pm »

I had that, when that huge ship destroyed my Geosurveyship.
Guess they were to lazy to man their meson guns.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: October 25, 2011, 02:37:19 pm »

sorry, I did not mean to offend you. just that the quote within the pyramid as a whole was not a correct interpretation of what the game does.

I refer to this one particular post:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47678.msg2707860#msg2707860

actually, it was flying dice claiming it.

group hug?

Well, I was claiming it mainly because in the situation being discussed, it was correct. And in 'the game as a whole', having to deal with missiles that cross your PD range too rapidly to target is going to be more common than missiles being fired and impacting instantly, unless you make a habit of flying your missile ships to knife range before firing.  ;)

Wuna hugs for everyone? :3

Also, currently the vast majority of my warships, all of my freighters, my troop transport, and most of my survey ships are hanging out in Alpha Centauri waiting for my JGC to get there from the other side of my explored territory at 1400km/s, because all of my jump tenders got trashed/are too small to ferry them/are hiding out in hostile territory ten systems away/are trying (and failing) to escape from yet another black hole. Good thing there are aren't big nests of precursors all over the place in the rest of my territory, including inside my JG network, eh?

Yeah, I think all ships have a strength one EM sensor built in by default, but that isn't enough to detect anything except at virtually point blank range.
'captain! we detected something!'
'what?'
*CLONG!*
'a ship!'
'I think I spotted it too, it hit the bridge.'

Five seconds later, sparks shoot out of all the control panels.  ;)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 1347