Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820622 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7380 on: October 19, 2011, 11:51:26 am »

You only need some massive meson-armed space stations to station close to the Wormholes really.

Fixed. Not having to deal with their shields makes it much easier. Just seed a few hundred thousand kilometer radius sphere around the Wormhole with little single-meson defense satellites (hundreds of them), so you've got a ton of firepower for relatively low individual cost, and quite probably a good rate of exchange on tonnage. They can only target so many of the little things at a time, while you can have hundreds of them plinking away at them. I'd honestly go for a design that has nothing but the meson, power plant, and basic modules. Bonus points for making them fighters so you can get away with a tiny fuel tank + minimum size engine and cart them out their with carriers rather than tractor beams, plus that lets you use your fighter capacity rather than your shipyards.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: October 19, 2011, 12:32:48 pm »

You only need some massive meson-armed space stations to station close to the Wormholes really.

Fixed. Not having to deal with their shields makes it much easier. Just seed a few hundred thousand kilometer radius sphere around the Wormhole with little single-meson defense satellites (hundreds of them), so you've got a ton of firepower for relatively low individual cost, and quite probably a good rate of exchange on tonnage. They can only target so many of the little things at a time, while you can have hundreds of them plinking away at them. I'd honestly go for a design that has nothing but the meson, power plant, and basic modules. Bonus points for making them fighters so you can get away with a tiny fuel tank + minimum size engine and cart them out their with carriers rather than tractor beams, plus that lets you use your fighter capacity rather than your shipyards.

I never thought of fighter-class defense satellites before. What a great idea!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: October 19, 2011, 12:59:03 pm »

HOLY crap this game is insanely complex.. makes DF look as simple as Minecraft.  o.o I'm reading the tutorials and its still hard to follow.  Yay for games that actually make you THINK!

Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: October 19, 2011, 01:02:22 pm »

It's not so complex, as it is tedious to remember all the controls. The most complex part is the math required to make your ships efficient.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: October 19, 2011, 01:17:45 pm »

^ this.

ship design and operations are complex (as in detailed in depth)

production and resource management is quite shallow, incomparable of the logistic and efficiency problems that designing a working fort entails.

the rest of the interface is just hard to use.

not that is a bad game, I love it  :D

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: October 19, 2011, 01:30:46 pm »

Just had about 8 invader ships come through a jump gate into my home system, successfully managed to kill all of them. Salvaging their wrecks has been immensely awesome. I've gotten 2 levels of active sensor tech, 2 of EM sensor tech, 3 fuel efficiency techs, and a bunch of other random data from them. More importantly though, I just acquired the capability to build plasma torpedoes. Of course, the ones I have right now are horribly slow and tiny, but they definitely have potential for the future.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For those interested, here's a list of the techs I can remember seeing on the invaders so far:

Also, a list of ship sizes I've seen so far:

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: October 19, 2011, 01:35:43 pm »

Anyone know why I keep getting this stupid Error 713 when I try to get into the System Information (F9) screen? Other stuff seems to be working Ok for now..

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: October 19, 2011, 01:38:30 pm »

I assume the 713 is an MSSTDFMT.dll error? If so, then read the bottom of the first post.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: October 19, 2011, 01:39:13 pm »

I assume the 713 is an MSSTDFMT.dll error? If so, then read the bottom of the first post.

Ahh, thank you!

Edit: Uh.. the picture in the first post isn't working... o.O What am I supposed to type?

Edit 2: Nvm, got it to work using: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1715.msg21036.html#msg21036
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:02:04 pm by Crustypeanut »

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: October 19, 2011, 08:41:28 pm »

Continuing the story of my battles against the invaders, I just had a MASSIVE incursion into my home system (via a jumppoint). I used up all of my ASM stocks (had to kill the last few unarmed survey ships with railgun fire), and lost 6 FACs. However, I managed to kill a grand total of 4 64000 ton vessels, 6 25600 ton vessels, 7 12800 ton vessels, 5 11000 ton vessels, and 4 6000 ton ships. Looking forward to all the tech data and minerals I'm going to be getting from salvage.

In unrelated news, I also discovered a planet with an orbital period of 2.3 hours. It's orbital radius is about equal to the star's diameter.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:44:11 pm by LostCosmonaut »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: October 19, 2011, 08:57:06 pm »

Continuing the story of my battles against the invaders, I just had a MASSIVE incursion into my home system (via a jumppoint). I used up all of my ASM stocks (had to kill the last few unarmed survey ships with railgun fire), and lost 6 FACs. However, I managed to kill a grand total of 4 64000 ton vessels, 6 25600 ton vessels, 7 12800 ton vessels, 5 11000 ton vessels, and 4 6000 ton ships. Looking forward to all the tech data and minerals I'm going to be getting from salvage.

In unrelated news, I also discovered a planet with an orbital period of 2.3 hours. It's orbital radius is about equal to the star's diameter.
What the hell?

Houston, we have a problem  :P

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:09 pm »

That planet is trolling the star. If you want a sun observation location... well, there's not going to be a better place!

What's the temperature on that thing anyway?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: October 19, 2011, 09:18:06 pm »

Temp is 1575, it's orbiting a class M9V star with a diameter of  153000km , and an orbital distance of 285000 km. Also, its gravity is in the acceptable range, so I obviously must colonize it. This isn't the most odd thing I've seen, in one game I saw a system where one of a gas giant's moons had such a large orbital radius that it crossed over another planet's orbit. The system generation in this game can be derpy as hell.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: October 19, 2011, 09:26:32 pm »

One time I had atleast 20 moons orbiting a terrestrial planet, habitable, too! I think the moons might've had smaller moons, too.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: October 19, 2011, 09:54:14 pm »

One time I had atleast 20 moons orbiting a terrestrial planet, habitable, too!
Aww man, that sure puts me to shame. Ah well, at least I only had to deal with the painful process of producing a moon once. That planet must have had it at least 20 times.

I think the moons might've had smaller moons, too.
I don't believe moons can have moons themselves in the game.
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 1347