Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820663 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7320 on: October 13, 2011, 07:50:14 am »

Yeah, it works fine in 64bit win7 for me other than one missing dll.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: October 13, 2011, 12:22:44 pm »

Three other weapons:

Gauss are basically the machine pistols of space warfare. They have piss-poor range and are among the least damaging weapons in the game. BUT, they require no ammo or power reactor, which saves space, and they also have the best fire rate in the game; high-tech gauss guns can fire off like 10 rounds in a single turn in combat, each.

Particle beams are kinda like sniper rifles. They easily have the best range of beam weapons, even low-tech versions having a range of over 100,000km. I'm pretty sure that they do not lose damage with distance, either.

Plasma carronades are like shotguns. They typically have short range and high recharge times. On the other hand, they easily provide the most damage per shot amongst beam weapons.

Actually, Particle beams are some of the shortest range beam weapons when it comes to capital ships, since they have a fixed range regardless of size. Normally a 20cm laser will have a much longer range than a 12cm laser, but a huge battleship based particle beam has the same range as a tiny one on a fighter.
What about the techs that increase a PB's range? You start at like 50k km, then 100, and from there I don't even remember what they extend to (though I believe they pass the million mark at some point).

Seems to me like PBs would make an excellent standard gun for your fleet. If each ship has at least one, you can easily synchronize your fire for a devastating volley.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: October 13, 2011, 12:57:28 pm »

Three other weapons:

Gauss are basically the machine pistols of space warfare. They have piss-poor range and are among the least damaging weapons in the game. BUT, they require no ammo or power reactor, which saves space, and they also have the best fire rate in the game; high-tech gauss guns can fire off like 10 rounds in a single turn in combat, each.

Particle beams are kinda like sniper rifles. They easily have the best range of beam weapons, even low-tech versions having a range of over 100,000km. I'm pretty sure that they do not lose damage with distance, either.

Plasma carronades are like shotguns. They typically have short range and high recharge times. On the other hand, they easily provide the most damage per shot amongst beam weapons.

Actually, Particle beams are some of the shortest range beam weapons when it comes to capital ships, since they have a fixed range regardless of size. Normally a 20cm laser will have a much longer range than a 12cm laser, but a huge battleship based particle beam has the same range as a tiny one on a fighter.
What about the techs that increase a PB's range? You start at like 50k km, then 100, and from there I don't even remember what they extend to (though I believe they pass the million mark at some point).

Seems to me like PBs would make an excellent standard gun for your fleet. If each ship has at least one, you can easily synchronize your fire for a devastating volley.

The range techs for particle beams are indeed longer, but size makes the difference. Larger size weapons multiply the range, and when the range is being multiplied 3 or 4x it's easy to compensate for a much lower base. Most large scale beams will rapidly hit a cap based on a 4x range fire control of the same tech, but particle beams never reach this (though they get close). Once in range particle beams do have some advantages, due to not losing damage due to range and the fact that they can all hit the same target regardless of size, but the threat of an enemy ship being able to hold the range open and fire unopposed shouldn't be taken lightly.

One use particle beams would nominally seem to lend themselves to is area point defense, since the ideal point defense weapon is small but long ranged. Unfortunately this leads to the weapon's other drawback: it can't be mounted in turrets. And fighters usually can't fit a fire control large enough to take advantage of the range; so it seems to me particle beams would be most efficient on FACs or small warships.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7323 on: October 14, 2011, 07:02:12 pm »

"Fuel Shortage in Production of Construction Factory at Earth"

What? ???
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: October 14, 2011, 09:56:02 pm »

Need more Sorium/fuel, obviously
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7325 on: October 14, 2011, 11:42:10 pm »

My confusion isn't that I'm out of fuel - I just refueled my cargo fleet, built several large terraforming ships with 600k litre fuel tanks, refueled a military fleet, and brought 1 million fuel to Mars for missile production - so it was kinda expected.

My confusion is that the game is telling me that I'm having a fuel shortage in my production of construction factories.

That and wondering where the 200k or so fuel that was left after all of the above suddenly went.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: October 15, 2011, 01:34:49 am »

Someone in your factories is screwing around with you obviously.

More seriously, maybe you should report the bug to Steve on his forums.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: October 15, 2011, 01:54:40 am »

...It was my belief most construction used fuel, as would make sense. Hmm, if its a bug then its a bug I really didn't notice.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: October 15, 2011, 03:12:55 am »

Fuel is not listed in the costs, and I don't believe I've ever heard about factories needing fuel, so I'm pretty sure it's a bug.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: October 16, 2011, 05:31:53 am »

How do i get my Ships to load missiles?
I assigned missiles to the magazine and to the launchers, then tell them to load ordnance.
After 6 days they say they are done but when i click on the ship the magazines are empty and don't have a missile type assigned to them anymore.
Don't tell me I need a cargohold...

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: October 16, 2011, 05:46:30 am »

No, just magazines, but you need to make sure the magazine is fitted for that size of missile, in particular.

To assign your missiles, hit the target/crosshair-looking symbol at the top, forget what it is, maybe f7 not sure. It'll come up with a list of all of your ship types. Click a type, itll list all ships of that class/name, and by clicking an individual ship it'll show what weapons, sensors, and missiles that particular ship has. The actual assigning is a little confusing at first, but pretty much, missiles need to be assigned to launchers which need to be assigned to a missile fire control. Click the missile fire control, click or shift-click the launcher(s) you wish, and click the missile name, and then there will be an assign or some such button below you'll use to set the three as active. If you do it properly, it'll show in the bottom box that you've got such and such missiles assigned to launchers 1 through blah connected to bladiblah fire control.

Course, I'm half asleep so take my instructions a little loose. The exact words might be off, but the steps are there.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: October 16, 2011, 07:14:56 am »

Thanks.
I got the launcher assigned to a fire control, and missiles to launchers.
But it still wont load missiles in the magazine. I tell them to put 200 missiles in and to load ordnance at earth. As I only have 1 type of missile so far it cannot be the wrong one.
Launcher are size 3, missiles size 2.5, if that matters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: October 16, 2011, 07:16:22 am »

How big are the magazines?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: October 16, 2011, 07:23:51 am »

But i got it now. :) Thanks for the help.
Maybe it was resupply and not load ordnance?

Edit: Off to get another Task Group shot to pieces.  :P Last time I thought active sensor were on by default. And had no ammo. Let's see what i can mess up this time. :D

Another Question though, how do you create wealth? My civilians bring in some but have not bought ships for a while now and i don't have enough to subsidize them anymore.  :'(
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:27:43 am by Rince Wind »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: October 16, 2011, 07:47:17 am »

You can get wealth from your population as well.
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 1347