Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808631 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6795 on: September 12, 2011, 12:16:31 pm »

What sounds like the best plan is to have a space carrier designed to hold several tens of thousands of tons of task-built ships, plus some weaponry. It might carry a geosurvey ship, a fuel miner, a gravsurvey ship...

Your mothership would have the only jump drive, and would be slow. I'm going to give this a try.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: September 12, 2011, 01:09:25 pm »

Oh my, this game is so complicated.
That was my first game,and I designed my first laser ships.
After some time, I decided to fight anohter race, but i forgot to add power plants for the lasers. That was a massacre... I love this game :)

PS: How do you build ground units. I cant find how to do it. (Also forgive me if my english is bad)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: September 12, 2011, 01:14:38 pm »

GU Training tab in the Population and Production window.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: September 12, 2011, 01:56:01 pm »

I just got my first Civvie mining colony (first civvie anything actually) and one of my officers immediately got assigned to a garrison squad on the asteroid the civvies were one.
Do civvies use private armies now or is this a bug? I've never moved my dudes up there, I'm sure of that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: September 12, 2011, 02:21:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure civ mining operations always have some sort of militia/garrison, but I've never had officers assigned to them...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: September 12, 2011, 02:45:19 pm »

It just happened again, but according to the names of the troops, I'm pretty sure they are mercs.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: September 12, 2011, 03:14:28 pm »

Civilians volunteer to form a garrison battalion for any new mining operation, free of charge. However, your military has to provide the leadership. It's not a bad system, so don't complain too much. =)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6802 on: September 12, 2011, 03:46:48 pm »

OK, so I've got some asteroid miners running and I'm starting to survey the solar system. I even have a mass driver running on earth to receive packets. So, how do I start setting up pure mining colonies? Or a regular colony?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6803 on: September 12, 2011, 04:00:56 pm »

Just unload mines at the colony, that'll automatically make it a mining colony.

Alternatively you can go to the F9 page and click add colony. That puts a colony there, which will show up in the task group orders as a 0 pop world. You can use civilian shipping to ship mines there too if you like, just use the civilians/ind status tab on the F2 menu for that colony and set a demand for them and set the supply of them at Earth.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: September 12, 2011, 07:31:27 pm »

How do you move ships between task groups? Or is it not possible?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: September 12, 2011, 07:34:54 pm »

Two ways:

Easiest, is to get two taskgroups together in the EXACT same spot and go to the Special Orders/Organization tab in the Task Groups window. The entire right side is now self-explanatory.

Second is via Orders. Get the ships you want to a different Task Group, click the Task Groups box in System Location Display Options, select the target TG, and select either Absorb (target TG will join selected TG), or Join (selected TG will join target TG).
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: September 12, 2011, 08:44:33 pm »

Okay, it worked. Thanks!

Now I'm out of corbomite, whatever THAT is. It's probably important, though, so I'm probably gonna need more. How can I get ships to survey asteroids and then move automated mines/mass drivers to the asteroids?
Alternatively, how can I get a mining colony started somewhere?

Also, turrets. How does one go about designing them?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:51:24 pm by SirAaronIII »
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: September 12, 2011, 08:54:16 pm »

How can I get ships to survey asteroids
Same way you survey planets.

You'll have to toggle them in System Location Display Options first.

Same with moons.

and then move automated mines/mass drivers to the asteroids?
Select a TG with a cargo ship, select the valid option to load them, select the target asteroid, tell them to unload there.

Also, turrets. How does one go about designing them?
Population and Production window, bottom line of buttons there should be one labeled "Turrets". Select that one.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: September 12, 2011, 09:31:11 pm »

A lazier way to mine asteroids is to survey them, let a civilian mining operation start up there and then just buy the minerals.  It's good if you have excess cash.

Or keep an asteroid miner in orbit over the asteroid.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: September 12, 2011, 09:55:17 pm »

Great, thanks.
Now since I think I've really messed something up back there, I'm making a new world/universe. Should I let the game choose my starting tech? If not, then what are research points for? Researching stuff the hard way didn't cost me any of those; are they for SM instantaneous technology creation?

Also how do you designate that a class design is finished? Do you just leave it? Because I tried doing that and it didn't show up in the shipyard menu.

Sorry for all the silly, easily answered questions, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1347