Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808883 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6705 on: September 09, 2011, 01:32:41 am »

You need to detect targets with active sensors (not just fire controls or passive sensors) before you can fire on them.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: September 09, 2011, 01:39:50 am »

My active sensors are on and I'm fireing missiles fine, but i can't get the auto point defence going, also when i fire my Antimissiles at the enemy ship they just spam me every 5 seconds saying they can't find the target.
Edit: I might need better resolution on my ships for my point defence sensors...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:41:37 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6707 on: September 09, 2011, 08:07:51 am »

You need resolution 1 active sensors and resolution 1 fire controls to target missiles.

Even using beam PD you still need the res 1 active sensor to detect them.

Technically you CAN detect them with higher than res 1, but they're so small it cuts the range down so much that you really need a res 1 for it. Even res 1 it won't detect them at the range of the sensor, it cuts it down based on size of the missile.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:48 pm »

I usually throw my entire industry into construction factories, financial centers and research labs early on, researching mostly production technology with some military mixed in. When your first colonies get off the ground, start researching expanding the civilian sector since colonies with population spark the civilians to actually do something.

How effective do you think financial centers are?  I don't bother with them.  Each one contributes so little that I'd rather just terraform a bunch of planets and let trade and taxation do the trick instead.  And expand civilian economy techs.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: September 09, 2011, 12:25:16 pm »

At the start i built 1 and it doubled my income, but then later i made way more and i got less income... so I dunno? I haven't have miney problems yet anyway...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: September 09, 2011, 12:34:52 pm »

Yeah, I usually only have money problems right after I get a bunch of labs built but before I have a bunch of colonies.

Also, does anyone know what the strength of a deep space tracking station is supposed to mean?  What is its range?  Does strength 300 mean that it can scan 300 million miles, or what exactly?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:41:54 pm by Bouchart »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: September 09, 2011, 02:24:51 pm »

At the start i built 1 and it doubled my income, but then later i made way more and i got less income... so I dunno? I haven't have miney problems yet anyway...

Really?  Unless I'm reading something wrong, my one financial center on Earth creates 20 wealth per year, or .1% of total income.  This is at year 15, btw.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: September 09, 2011, 03:00:37 pm »

Financial centers add tax equivalent to 1 million population. So if you start in a game where you have 500 million or 1 billion people, 1 financial center isn't going to make much difference. A few hundred will.

See, 100 financial centers is only 5 million workers. A 0 cost colony with a mere 40 million people gives you just over 20 million workers. Thats enough for 400 financial centers. So that undeveloped col cost 0 world with 40 million people could have financial centers built (would need to ship in construction factories, then ship them out once finished) and the tax income would be equivalent to 440 million people.

In short, a couple won't make much of a difference if you have a big population - but a couple hundred can really boost your income even if you have a huge population. In the game I'm running with only 50 million people to start, financial centers are mandatory.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: September 09, 2011, 03:01:11 pm »

Yeah, I usually only have money problems right after I get a bunch of labs built but before I have a bunch of colonies.

Also, does anyone know what the strength of a deep space tracking station is supposed to mean?  What is its range?  Does strength 300 mean that it can scan 300 million miles, or what exactly?

Scanner strength 300 x Number of Tracking Stations = Actual tracking distance, though the strength depends on what you're tracking. Large ships get seen further out, small ships closer. Its more "intensity" than absolute values.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: September 09, 2011, 03:44:38 pm »

Financial centers add tax equivalent to 1 million population. So if you start in a game where you have 500 million or 1 billion people, 1 financial center isn't going to make much difference. A few hundred will.

See, 100 financial centers is only 5 million workers. A 0 cost colony with a mere 40 million people gives you just over 20 million workers. Thats enough for 400 financial centers. So that undeveloped col cost 0 world with 40 million people could have financial centers built (would need to ship in construction factories, then ship them out once finished) and the tax income would be equivalent to 440 million people.

In short, a couple won't make much of a difference if you have a big population - but a couple hundred can really boost your income even if you have a huge population. In the game I'm running with only 50 million people to start, financial centers are mandatory.

Thanks.  I prefer building infrastructure and terraformers and colonizing everywhere, though.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: September 09, 2011, 06:03:03 pm »

Thanks.  I prefer building infrastructure and terraformers and colonizing everywhere, though.

Well, colonizing everywhere only has a marginal effect on your income (due to an increase in pop growth by getting people off Earth to worlds where they grow faster). If you actually needed more income to support a large research or construction budget, the only way to go would be building financial centers. Moving 40 million people off earth won't give you 40 financial centers worth of income, since it's 40 million less people on earth.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: September 09, 2011, 07:10:10 pm »

I have to agree with Paul. Building up a hard base before expansion is the more efficient way to run things, especially if this one earth has to support other worlds. The more built up this base is, the faster you can build atop of it.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: September 09, 2011, 07:36:25 pm »

Indeed. Build a stable base (Earth) or else you construction will collapse when you build atop it. (your empire)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: September 09, 2011, 07:50:33 pm »

3 of my 4 scientists were Energy Weapons. The last was Sensors/Fire Control.
Is that a good thing? I mean sensors are practically essential.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: September 09, 2011, 08:10:19 pm »

Well, it is better than all Biology. You'll probably be building nothing but beam-heavy ships for a loooong time, too.

Useful tip that bears repeating: IF YOU RETIRE SCIENTISTS YOU DON'T NEED/WANT, IT >>APPEARS<< TO CAUSE RESEARCHER RECRUITMENT TO SPEED UP. At least in my experience.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 1347