Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809066 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6615 on: September 04, 2011, 12:56:38 am »

Just for fun I made a little scenario to play with. Figured someone else might like playing with it too, so I'm uploading it.
-snip-
Is this on the newest version?

Yea, it was done in version 5.52 with the 5.50 database. Only took me about two hours to set up, most of which was figuring out how to get it set up properly and designing the starting ships. Was the first time I used the spacemaster empire option. Spent a few mins assigning all the officers to the ships since I was deleting the starting "capital" that they were on (asteroid 1, lol).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6616 on: September 04, 2011, 12:58:25 am »

This scenario just begs for a narrative type LP.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: September 04, 2011, 01:00:12 am »

Woops, I just realized I forgot to erase the atmosphere from asteroid 1 haha. I had to add it to get the game to let me make the empire there. Oh well, doesn't hurt anything.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: September 04, 2011, 02:28:03 am »

I recall someone complaining about getting terrible scientists.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: September 04, 2011, 02:35:35 am »

Haha, thats pretty bad. I've actually had worse though, at least the 30% bio one is a bonus. I once had it gen with all 0% guys.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: September 04, 2011, 02:46:37 am »

yeah I have had similar lol...bunch of 0's and my scientist with actual bonus could only use like 10 labs max...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: September 04, 2011, 08:23:51 am »

That scenario looks like fun, i might try it, and about the LP, it seems like it might make a fun LP, or maybe is it possible to use spacemaster mode to make an enemy that starts hunting and harrassing the lost colony In a way similar to battlestar galactica so they can't settle down long enough to do much more than refuel and repair, but they might be able to aquire enough tech or whatever to turn the tide, or maybe find earth.... Er, or you could do an lp like that maybe....
Edit: Only played once, but didn't see anyone over 25 labs or 30% in my sciencey guy pool <----- I'm directing this towards the post below, that hasn't been made yet, in the future , w0000000 scary!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:19:56 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: September 04, 2011, 09:15:39 am »

I'm going to throw out a fairly useless detail, it appears all scientists are capped at 30% bonus and possibly 30 labs when they're recruited. Anyone seen anything higher?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: September 04, 2011, 09:36:40 am »

I haven't seen a recruit with higher, but they definitely can get higher with training.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: September 04, 2011, 09:44:15 am »

I haven't seen a recruit with higher, but they definitely can get higher with training.

This. I actually remember having a P&P Researcher get up to 45% bonus inside of a year.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: September 04, 2011, 10:17:54 am »

Yeah, researchers can increase their skills, I know that. I think the highest rating I got was 40% and 40 labs.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: September 04, 2011, 10:36:31 am »

Right, so, there are these three systems, all linked to each other triangle style, way way away from Sol. (About 20 jumps)

Each one has an NPR and Precursor presence in it.

All of the NPRs hate each other. The Precursors hate all of the NPRs.

If it wasn't such a badass little piece of random, I'd delete them... but it's getting really annoying. But at least I know that when the dust settles, there's going to be so much salvage.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: September 04, 2011, 11:12:42 am »

So Mercury has "Requested Protection Level:6" now how do I provide protection?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: September 04, 2011, 11:36:11 am »

Build ships. You can see the PPV (protection point value) of the ship in the design window at the top of the ship description. Basically any ship with a weapon provides PPV.

I'm starting a bit of a roleplayed LP of my scenario. Started fresh so I could record things from the beginning, and it looks like it's going to be interesting already. First JP has a bunch of wrecks. As soon as I have a decent bit to post I'll put it over on the "play with your buddies" section.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: September 04, 2011, 12:23:57 pm »

I'm a little overwhelmed with designing missiles.  Does anyone have a simple missile design for use in a PDC?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 12:37:00 pm by Bouchart »
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 1347