Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810103 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6240 on: August 26, 2011, 11:17:10 am »

Okay, the constant uprising message spam on Tau Ceti III finally prompted me to design a new model of the Tigris class destroyer and build a squadron... Now how do I upgrade the old Tigris I's?
Retool a shipyard to the new class and select "refit to" (instead of construction) in the lower half of the shipyard screen.

Also, closed jump points leading back into your systems is small compared to having a
Spoiler: SPOILERS ZOMG (click to show/hide)
Dormant jumppoints happen when a jump point is travelled through but the range of systems it can use has been filled, so it selects a system and attempts to link to an unexplored jump point there. If there isn't one it creates a new one.

But seriously, Steve should have just called this "David Weber: The Game", seeing how practically everything draws from the Honorverse or Starfire.
Well, the game did apparently evolve from Starfire Assistant, a program Steve made to keep track of the housekeeping for Starfire.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6241 on: August 26, 2011, 11:20:11 am »

box launchers are launchers which cannot be reloaded outside of a mothership. They get one volley, but take up much less space. It's like a missile slung under a fighter's wing.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: August 26, 2011, 11:27:47 am »

They're also good for planet based FACs and Corvettes, as those tend to be fairly shortranged anyways, so they'll be making returns often anyways. A dozen or so corvettes with a good number of box launchers can be as effective at system defence as a quartet of battlecruisers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6243 on: August 26, 2011, 11:30:31 am »

You can use box lauchers to fire a ridiculous amount of missiles in a single volley, but reloading them is painfully slow.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: August 26, 2011, 11:32:45 am »

Something I just notice: Is it just me, or do you recruit scientists a lot faster if you periodically retire the useless ones?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6245 on: August 26, 2011, 12:54:58 pm »

My new game has been interesting. So far every single system I've explored has planets that can be terraformed to be 0 cost (many of which are starting out at 2 or less) and I'm seeing lots of ruins and wrecks.

I also have a mysterious thermal contact that keeps showing up every so often in one system. It seems docile enough, hasn't attacked anything and trying to approach it with my exploration ship just made it run off. It's moving at just over 8000km/s and as soon as I approach with active sensors it takes off. I managed to get a fix on it by closing to 100m km and then activating active sensors and found out it's 15,000 tons, but it quickly fled before I could approach closer. It apparently has good passive sensors, since it detected my 300 thermal ship at 100m km and started moving away before I even activated the active sensors. My fastest military ship is 6000km/s, and has triple the thermal of the scout - so I don't really have any hope of chasing it down unless I design either a faster ship or a stealthier ship to sneak up within missile range.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: August 26, 2011, 01:00:21 pm »

You know you can make ships go slower to lower their thermal sig?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: August 26, 2011, 01:02:55 pm »

Why attack it? Try to get very close and see if its peaceful. You could make an ally if you open contact with their race.

If hostile, blow them out of the sky and use them for scrap metal.

OR, the FUN route, be careful with your weapons and make sure to only disable the ship. Stick Marines in a dropship and take over the ship. Difficult to accomplish, but it can be very interesting to see the original ship design, the tech, etc. Might even find it to be a kickass ship, only stuck because its out of missiles or some such.

A bit... Odd... Never had a ship flee from me before, unarmed or not.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #6248 on: August 26, 2011, 01:19:34 pm »

This sounds awesome. I'll install it later.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: August 26, 2011, 02:07:55 pm »

So what is wealth used for exactly? Is it spent building ships? Funding research? I don't get it.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6250 on: August 26, 2011, 02:10:00 pm »

So what is wealth used for exactly? Is it spent building ships? Funding research? I don't get it.
Didn't we JUST answer this?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: August 26, 2011, 02:10:39 pm »

Sigh... Wealth is used for all of the above. Most operations from construction to research use wealth.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6252 on: August 26, 2011, 02:12:05 pm »

The wealth screen on the economic window has a breakdown of your expenses.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: August 26, 2011, 02:19:18 pm »

And what happens when your wealth runs out? Is there a penalty or can you just not build stuff?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: August 26, 2011, 02:24:44 pm »

AFAIK, you cannot build or research anything anymore. You're pretty much stuck.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 1347